Why become a member? ×

too critical?

steve-bbb

am i being too critical?

this weekend our singist and guitarer says to me .... check out the live version of Happy from the Radio1 live thingy

raving about it they were

so i did .... abject indifference was my reaction

is he being lazy with his vocals? is it onstage monitoring? is it currently trendy not to use autotune any more? or am i just being a miserable old hyper-critical cynic?

mehh ... i thought .. am i the only one who thinks he is a bit rubbish? i said to them

they replied... oh its just you then

and its not just this one particular instance and artist - i surely cant be alone in expecting big name professional artists to deliver a good performance only to be patronised with an offering that is merely paying lip service for them to pick up a fat pay cheque?

im not expecting absolute technical virtuoso perfection but is it the integrity that just doesnt come across with some artists?

must dash ... matron is doing the rounds with the multivitamins :blink:

Edited by steve-bbb

I think it's Pharrell Williams.
'Good' means different things to different people. There are some songs that people rave about, and I can't fathom why.
Conversely, I was playing an album which I see as quirky and funky, and a chap walks in from the next unit and says "This music is sh*te - it's the sort of depressing crap that smack heads sit round all day nodding their heads to" - an utterly bizarre viewpoint to me.

Perhaps the others are more into the overall vibe and atmosphere, and are therefore more forgiving of a weak vocal performance?

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1401263456' post='2461680']
I thought it was ok Steve, not too bad, not amazing......somewhere in the middle.

Some of the performances were pretty bad from what I've seen.

I think the song was written for Ce-lo Green originally, its on the Despicable me soundtrack. But he passed on it; bet he is regretting that decision.
[/quote]

i agree

yes i read that too recently - somehow cant quite picture him singing it after 'f*** you' :lol:

maybe we are being conditioned to expect nothing but the best from the top names which then adds to the delicious schadenfreude of a bad performance when the media lays into them - makes for more colourful journalism perhaps? (not to mention the social media aspect too)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401263268' post='2461679']
I think it's Pharrell Williams.
'Good' means different things to different people. There are some songs that people rave about, and I can't fathom why.
Conversely, I was playing an album which I see as quirky and funky, and a chap walks in from the next unit and says "This music is sh*te - it's the sort of depressing crap that smack heads sit round all day nodding their heads to" - an utterly bizarre viewpoint to me.

Perhaps the others are more into the overall vibe and atmosphere, and are therefore more forgiving of a weak vocal performance?
[/quote]

difficult to quantify but not talking about virtuoso performance per se , more that intangible quality that you perceive when watching a performance that the artist is really putting something into it to reach out to the audience rather than just going through the motions

i hope you complimented him on his expert appraisal and comprehensive knowledge of all things 'smack-related' ... but dont go so far as asking him to suggest an alternative ... you might end up with U2 or Coldsore or something :blink:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1401264537' post='2461699']
"they are having fun, what's the problem?"
[/quote]
seems to work for Simon Talltrousers

yes i am hip and we do play this chooon in our set

but i draw the line at smiling or looking vaguely interested - people might confuse me for a singer dallying with an instrument :o :ph34r:

I think this version of "Happy" is close to become the modern day Mustang Sally, I think I've heard it at every pub gig I've been to in the last 2 months. I don't know what all the fuss is about, it is the most average song to be placed in the same pile as anything by Take That, One D, Girls Aloud and other such tosh that is churned out of musics equivalent to a Chinese 50p Christmas cracker plastic toy factory.

Would have been interesting to hear Cee-Lo sing it and funk it up, perhaps that would have worked.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1401264198' post='2461692']

i hope you complimented him on his expert appraisal and comprehensive knowledge of all things 'smack-related' ... but dont go so far as asking him to suggest an alternative ... you might end up with U2 or Coldsore or something :blink:
[/quote]

Haha, funny you should say that - Coldplay are his favourite band! I couldn't even be bothered to respond, like shooting fish on a barrel.

I've heard loads about this tune, so I've just listened to it on YouTube expecting it to be vaguely familiar... but I don't recognise it at all. Do I win a prize?

Anyway, it's inoffensive enough, but - 3,000,000 YouTube views?

I think we're amazed by mediocrity a little bit too often these days.

(Yes, I'm over 40 years old)

You don't have to like "Happy", but surely anyone who knows anything about music (we all do here, right?) can grudgingly acknowledge that it has "ear worm" qualities, and a certain "why didn't I think of that, it's so simple?" about it.

It has helped me to worry a bit less when I write - in my fledgeling songwriting "career" I have worried about things being too simple or repetitive, perhaps covering my inexperience up in layers of "stuff going on" (horns - fill that gap with something, keys - do a cool riff here, must use more than 3 chords). I wouldn't have been confident enough to put out something as (on the face of it) simple and stripped back as that.

EDIT: I realise I've gone off topic a bit here now, but I like what I wrote, so there. Regarding the particular performance the OP referenced, I haven't heard it, but if it's a bit fruity sounding then that's a bit poor. You would think you'd have your chops together if you were performing it on national radio.

Edited by neepheid

It's pop.

Pop isn't just about the music or the performance. In fact it has nothing much to do with music or performance, it's about the cult of celebrity, hype and the necessity to make a crapload of doubloons before the Golden Goose gets constipation.

Punters didn't go to the Radio 1 gig to appreciate music or a vocal performance, they went to see Pharrell Williams' hat. Get over it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401268821' post='2461759']
It's pop.

Pop isn't just about the music or the performance. In fact it has nothing much to do with music or performance, it's about the cult of celebrity, hype and the necessity to make a crapload of doubloons before the Golden Goose gets constipation.

Punters didn't go to the Radio 1 gig to appreciate music or a vocal performance, they went to see Pharrell Williams' hat. Get over it.
[/quote]

Exactly, and with 7 Grammy awards and $80m behind him everything he touches turns to gold...

I did enjoy his earlier work when he was just producing as the Neptunes and his N.E.R.D stuff.

My lot have been giving it a run through for a few gigs, goes down well but I'm not sure it will last all that long. We do a bit of a cut down version of it as it gets VERY repeptitive and there are sections in the middle where there's not a lot going on if you only have 2 guitars and a bass. I think there will be a time when we know it's time to drop it from the set. Been thinking of a having a go at either Locked Out Of Heaven or Runaway Baby also as they will go down well in the places we play, again though you wonder if its worth the effort to get them tight if they only stay in the set a few months.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1401270628' post='2461790']
...you wonder if its worth the effort to get them tight if they only stay in the set a few months.
[/quote]

Ha! Why bother at all in that case? It should be as good as it can be even if you're only going to play it live once!

...IMHO, of course. :) I'm also super-critical of bands who can't be bothered to learn their stuff properly because 'the punters will be pissed anyway, so there's no point in us being that good'. YMMV.

These sort of events are not just about the music are they? It's a whole visual and social experience as well. Also, 'fans' will already know the song and will internally enhance what they are actually hearing with their memories from listening to it many times before, so the mix quality doesn't really matter and even bum notes will probably be missed as well while the brain is dealing with all that visual input.

Bottom line is that loads of people are enjoying the experience so, for them, it's all good.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401271309' post='2461802']
Ha! Why bother at all in that case? It should be as good as it can be even if you're only going to play it live once!
[/quote]

I agree and in an ideal world this would be the case. Unfortunately the band I work in currently rarely if ever rehearse (I recall 2 in the last 15 months) and I've wasted hours learning songs that have been agreed upon only for them to be subsequently dropped before being gigged. So if we are going todo something seriously it would be better for it to have a bit more longevity than a handful of gigs. I'm actually the one who tends to push the others into new material and freshen up the set but its a real struggle at times.