Why become a member? ×

too critical?

steve-bbb

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1401272610' post='2461824']
I agree and in an ideal world this would be the case. Unfortunately the band I work in currently rarely if ever rehearse (I recall 2 in the last 15 months) and I've wasted hours learning songs that have been agreed upon only for them to be subsequently dropped before being gigged. So if we are going todo something seriously it would be better for it to have a bit more longevity than a handful of gigs. I'm actually the one who tends to push the others into new material and freshen up the set but its a real struggle at times.
[/quote]

I've left quite a number of bands because one (or more) of the members turned out to be lazy bastards. I'm not going to put effort into a team thing if one or other of the team aren't putting in at least the same (if not more) effort. Two rehearsals in fifteen months? That band only exists as a concept! I can understand infrequent rehearsals if you're gigging a lot, though? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401267647' post='2461743']
I think we're amazed by mediocrity a little bit too often these days.

(Yes, I'm over 40 years old)
[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not quite 30 years old yet, and I fear you may be right. I've just listened to that performance, and "inoffensive" is probably the nicest thing I can say about it. (Which may be a good thing, a lot of the autotuned s**te I've heard out of other people's radios/mobile phones is infuriatingly awful.) But the song does seem to be a complete non-entity. I suspect in decades past, it would have been dismissed as "bubblegum."

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401273454' post='2461835']
I've left quite a number of bands because one (or more) of the members turned out to be lazy bastards. I'm not going to put effort into a team thing if one or other of the team aren't putting in at least the same (if not more) effort. Two rehearsals in fifteen months? That band only exists as a concept! I can understand infrequent rehearsals if you're gigging a lot, though? :)
[/quote]

you were not 'Happy' then? :ph34r:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1401271386' post='2461804']
These sort of events are not just about the music are they? It's a whole visual and social experience as well. Also, 'fans' will already know the song and will internally enhance what they are actually hearing with their memories from listening to it many times before, so the mix quality doesn't really matter and even bum notes will probably be missed as well while the brain is dealing with all that visual input.

Bottom line is that loads of people are enjoying the experience so, for them, it's all good.
[/quote]

i didnt find it all that visually entertaining either - but then it was in daylight so no flashy multicouloured lighting effects

some people just have low (or no) standards i guess :P :ph34r:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401276731' post='2461893']
Remember also that the mix that is heard by the live audience probably bears little relationship to the one broadcast.
[/quote]

this is true

and also if i'm watching it in HD on the idiot lantern i get full close up view, warts and all

much better to be 'relaxed' and fifty yards back from the stage i guess :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1401279337' post='2461932']
But, if I had written it and it found its way to Pharrell Williams he wouldn't have reached 3m hits?
[/quote]

No doubt it would, my point is that we both know that probably wouldn't happen. There are a million - dare I say it - better songs out there which never get to a wider audience 'cos the writer isn't 'connected'.

Such is life.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1401276224' post='2461885']
i didnt find it all that visually entertaining either - but then it was in daylight so no flashy multicouloured lighting effects

some people just have low (or no) standards i guess :P :ph34r:
[/quote]

Oh, I entirely agree with you, just trying to put another perspective on things. Perhaps the audience have never been to a live gig before so it's the best thing they've ever experienced? ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1401283026' post='2462001']
Perhaps the audience have never been to a live gig before so it's the best thing they've ever experienced? ;)
[/quote]

That and the fact they may be a [i]little [/i]less cynical than some on this forum. Yours truly, for example. :P

I just watched the link and it is better than I thought.
The vox are the vox...but he sounds like him on the record so
you can't trip up there.
I would suspect...like most of these 'simple' ditties,.. that bands will struggle to make them work
and wont even get any further than failing the groove..and then they will trot them out at their dates and
the failthful will sing along...which is not much more that what Pharrell seems to do.

Personally, I wouldn't do it as it sounds like a nothing song, first and foremost... albeit a very successful
nothing song,

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401281030' post='2461968']
No doubt it would, my point is that we both know that probably wouldn't happen. There are a million - dare I say it - better songs out there which never get to a wider audience 'cos the writer isn't 'connected'.

Such is life.
[/quote]

By the sounds of it; I think it was a bit of an accidental hit.....

No denying the guy p**ses gold though.

Before this thread I'd never even heard of the guy.

The song does f*** all for me, but it's not really aimed at me.

He certainly seemed to be phoning it in, his eyes looked dead.

I suppose playing these Big Weekend type gigs where the crowd is made up entirely of phone-wielding muppets who will cheer anyone & anything must be a bit soul destroying. Why bother giving a good performance when people will whoop, cheer & holler at you even if you don't?

The celebration of mediocrity has steadily grown from X Factor and other talent shows. Families and friends back a 'talented' singer or act who is actually just average (at best). To get around this, they find other distractions such as huge productions, autotune, hype, sobs stories and life achievements (inspiring music teacher or heroic nurse etc) that overshadows their average performance. We then happily celebrate the mediocrity of the music based on these separate (but by no means lesser!) non-musical achievements.

The problem now is that being a good songwriting now falls into that category. People will happily buy into an act who can't really do the song justice from a performance point of view, just because they have written it. The guy on Britains Got Talent at the moment (Ed something or other?) is a great example. Written quite a few hits for current pop acts and clearly made a decent living from it (his home interview showed his flashy studio gear and instruments) but he's made it all the way through because the song he has written is good but he can't really sing it very well and he's playing on the 'I don't want to be behind the scenes getting no credit' sob story.

There are countless examples I can think of: Pharrell, Emilie Sande, Chris Martin. The list goes on.

Combined with the successes of songwriters who actually CAN do their material justice (Bruno Mars etc) when performing, it has created an environment in which every person who has ever put a pen to paper now thinks they should collect the composing and performing money and not compromise by allowing a better performer to contribute their talent and take some of the money.

But does cutting out the middle man actually hinder the success of the music? I don't think 'Forget You' would've been as huge a hit if Bruno Mars had performed it...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1401303507' post='2462292']
Diane Warren... doesn't sing too well herself but what a bunch of hits she has written.
Probably sold as many records as anyone..??
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1401303507' post='2462292']
Diane Warren... doesn't sing too well herself but what a bunch of hits she has written.
Probably sold as many records as anyone..??
[/quote]

Rod Temperton

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401304994' post='2462323']
...music for people who don't actually like music.
[/quote]

Music for people who don't actually like music is a huge market. See also: stupidly big cars for people who can't drive; best-selling novels for people who can't read and a plethora of 'luxury goods' for discerning consumers [size=4]who don't know their arses from a hole in the ground. Ooh, I'm grumpy today all right![/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401305502' post='2462329']
Music for people who don't like music is a huge market. Also see: stupidly big cars for people who can't drive; best-selling novels for people who can't read and a plethora of similar 'luxury goods' for discerning consumers [size=4]who don't know their arses from a hole in the ground. Ooh, I'm grumpy today all right![/size]
[/quote]
... you forgot best-selling novels by people who can't write ...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401305584' post='2462332']
... you forgot best-selling novels by people who can't write ...
[/quote]

Haha yes - I was focussing on the consumers rather than the talented producers of all this crap.
At least that's the excuse I'm going to use...