Why become a member? ×

Who do I choose to build me a bass?

I'm also a big fan of Alan's work, just love my ACG, possibly the best necks on anything I've played but have you thought about:

Bernie Goodfellow - http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/gb_instruments.asp

John Diggins - http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/one_off_specials.html

I was really impressed with the build quality of my custom Overwater but stupidly sold it - regrets? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1401032025' post='2459335']
Bernie Goodfellow - [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/gb_instruments.asp"]http://www.gbguitars...instruments.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Woo! That GB Spitfire in white with mint pickguard is lush!!

Edited by discreet

My next one is going to be built by Ani Macneice up in Otley (also thinking about an EUB). She made a glorious fretless for Tim Yates (Blackbeard's Tea Party) and also a four stringer for Ashley Hutchings. Individually made, you specify what you want and that's what you'll get. Also very good on communication and accurate updates.

Steve

Also makes electric mandolins, guitars and electric five string banjo!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1401021201' post='2459178']
Quite taken by contoured jazz style shapes like these
[/quote]erm didn't you just say you wanted to move away from a jazz bass style.? Sei everyday of the week for me. but as always with a custom you really need to know what you want.

Edited by bubinga5

Go with the luthier who already makes basses that are close to what you want.

Also consider Martin Petersen and Sei basses - his necks are superb, as are Jon Shukers. However for 1500 quid you will probably need to stay with a painted body.

There are lots of great builders out there but honest with you? I ve tried lots but no one is as good as Alpher ! http://alpher.co.uk
The customer service it's unbelievable , wood options so many and without paying crazy money! My last build was an adamovic fbc, price tag £4000. As soon as I ve tried the Alpher I decided to sell the bass and have one built from them! At the moment they are building me a fretless , once this is finish def gonna get a 6 string from them;-) look at the build diaries section

I've just had Jon Shuker build me a sublime bass, the easiest design process via email I've encountered. Alan's ACGs are also fantastic, his lead times are why I didn't pick one of them, and also his shapes are all too Jazz-y for me, but might suit you.

I will say, though, that nearer you are to definite and settled on your design requirements, the happier you'll be with the finished results. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted, and when I got it, executed by Jon with what I can only describe as artistry, I was very happy indeed.

If you go down the luthier route with any vagueness, you run the risk of disappointing yourself, and then you'll be left with an instrument with a terrifying residual value.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1401096458' post='2459896']
I've just had Jon Shuker build me a sublime bass, the easiest design process via email I've encountered. Alan's ACGs are also fantastic, his lead times are why I didn't pick one of them, and also his shapes are all too Jazz-y for me, but might suit you.

I will say, though, that nearer you are to definite and settled on your design requirements, the happier you'll be with the finished results. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted, and when I got it, executed by Jon with what I can only describe as artistry, I was very happy indeed.

If you go down the luthier route with any vagueness, you run the risk of disappointing yourself, and then you'll be left with an instrument with a terrifying residual value.
[/quote]

You chose Shuker over ACG because the Shuker lead time was shorter??

Yep, I wanted a bass (in luthier terms) REALLY quickly, after the new-4003W fiasco (birthday present) and Jon had a Stock bass part-built which I liked. I wasn't keen on the neck, though, so he made me one to my spec from scratch, added the pups and all my choice of hardware and finished it in three weeks. Result... Everyone else was struggling to get one to me in any sort of timescale I could live with.

First time I have been accused of having all my body shapes to Jazz like,normally I get asked to do something more traditional :D .

Or are they all to unusual for you which would be a more in line with the usual comments.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1401100396' post='2459962']
Or are they all to unusual for you which would be a more in line with the usual comments.
[/quote]

Loving the Custom J shapes. Website not good for GAS!! Or too good, depending on which way you look at it...