Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1400335002' post='2453023']
I saw an AC/DC tribute called AB/CD a few months back. They were quite good.
[/quote]
A good friend of mine was the 'Angus' in an AC/DC tribute band here in Bristol. They did some huge gigs all over Britain and Europe so there must be a good market for it. Best tribute act I've seen was an American 3 piece doing a Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute, if you closed your eyes you'd swear it was SRV himself, both his voice and his guitar playing/tone.

I can't understand what's NOT to like about tribute bands (with the proviso that they are good musicians, but that applies to any band).

The ones I've seen have been really excellent and probably better than most bands I've seen down the Dog & Duck TBH. Also, as mentioned above, most people going to see a tribute band will be going because they like the original band and probably know their songs to the nth degree, meaning the band has to be spot-on.

I saw The Bootleg Beatles on their 20th year tour and subsequently on their 30th year tour - which surely says it all in terms of the popularity and durability of tribute bands.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1400330748' post='2452976']
Because of excellent songs, excellently played in an excellent performance ... and so an excellent night out. I think that's usually why.

[/quote]

Each to their own. I'd rather go and see an original band I haven't heard before.

I'm always a bit torn regarding tribute bands, as a lot are covering music i couldn't care less about. I've seen a few, mainly when i've been to a pub and they happen to be playing, but none have really excited me. Especially for a lot of the punk and metal stuff, authenticity is the key for me. I'd rather watch a band trying and failing at their own stuff with enthusiasm than a group trying to be someone else...

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1400358564' post='2453242']

Each to their own. I'd rather go and see an original band I haven't heard before.
[/quote]

I played in a Free tribute band for a few years, absolutely loved playing those bass lines.

Just watch Jools Hollands show every week , that usually shows the quality (usually lack of) original bands you have not heard of before.

Went to see Limehouse Lizzy a couple of months ago, a fabulous tribute band and importantly excellent musicians to boot.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1400320897' post='2452852']
One of the best tribute bands I have ever seen were the Bootleg Beatles. They had it all down to a T. Even the costume changes from the Please Please Me period up to the Abbey Road era.
[/quote]
I saw the Bootleg Beatles over 25 years ago and thought they were excellent. On saying that i have no interest at all in seeing any other tribute bands but guess i was lucky enough to be around at a time to see all the original bands i ever wanted to see.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1400322918' post='2452871']
Don't get me started on those Wagner Horns and the depth of the conical bore these days.
[/quote]

Aye! Gets on my tits, that. If you're gonna do it, do it well. Those modern digital, polyphonic conical bores don't sound at all like the period correct analogue, monophonic conical bores.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1400364245' post='2453295']
Not on my budget....... :rolleyes: .
[/quote]

Tribute bands are ideal for tight budgets. I'd rather go and see the counterfeit stones for £15 than the Rolling Stones for £150.

Imagine the ticket prices if The Beatles had ever got together . . . Makes the bootleg Beatles a total bargain.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1400364849' post='2453300']
Imagine the ticket prices if The Beatles had ever got together . . . Makes the bootleg Beatles a total bargain.
[/quote]
Yeah but if you were around in 1962-64 tickets for The Beatles shows were about 10/6 (or just over 50p) for the best seats in the house and you got about another 8 groups thrown in as well. :)

Tribute bands are ideal for tight budgets. I'd rather go and see the counterfeit stones for £15 than the Rolling Stones for £150.

[/quote]

I'd rather go and see GBH for a fiver......

[/quote]

I'd rather stay in and listen to a CD by the original artist than go to see a tribute band doing the same songs.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1400369542' post='2453329']
I'd rather stay in and listen to a CD by the original artist than go to see a tribute band doing the same songs.
[/quote]
I'd rather listen to someone standing on a street corner playing the kazoo rather than any tribute band. I just don't get the whole tribute band thing at all.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1400358564' post='2453242']
[/quote]
Well, as you say, each to their own, but my preference is good songs and good performance so I don't care whether its so-called original material or so-called covers or so-called tribute. For me, it's the music and the performance that matters.

So, original or not, covers or not, tribute or not it can be good or not so good, and so original, covers, or tribute can't be a test of how good it is.

Anyway, it's really quite rare to see something actually original as so-called original is commonly highly derivative and sometimes derivative in a rather dull manner.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1400401095' post='2453407']
Well, as you say, each to their own, but my preference is good songs and good performance so I don't care whether its so-called original material or so-called covers or so-called tribute. For me, it's the music and the performance that matters.

So original or not, covers or not, tribute or not it can be good or not so good and so original, covers, or tribute can't be a test of how good it is.

Anyway, it's really quite rare to see something actually original as so-called original is commonly highly derivative and sometimes derivative in a rather dull manner.
[/quote]Absolutely nailed everything there!

Personally I would love to be in a Deep Purple tribute band. My best mate is a Jon Lord fanatic, I know a couple of good guitarist who could do it. I just don't know a drummer good enough yet as i constantly have drummer trouble. Also a singer who could nail Gillans high notes. Plus it means i would have to do Glen Hughes vocals in MArk 3 stuff. Maybe two octaves lower i could ha ha