Why become a member? ×

'State-us' or 'St-aah-tus'

Roland Rock

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1399802616' post='2447709']
The English language has been bastardised by the American colonials......it is very much pronounced 'State-us'
[/quote]

Absolutely. Particularly as Status is proud to be a British company.

Now come on folks we're not Californicans surely?

There was a long running thread on Talkbass about the pronunciation of the name Rickenbacker - apparently there is a group of people from a certain geographical area who think it's pronounced Rickenbocker!! But Stahtus - havin a larf surely!!!???

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1399809180' post='2447832']
I know there are a lot of people who pronounce it "Rickenbarker". Mainly Americans I have to say. But Status is definitely "Stay-tus".
[/quote]

I pronounce Rickenbacker as 'Overbearing Copyright Bullies' - which I believe is the correct translation from the root word.

Status is a latin word and in latin based languages the 'a' is generally short as in 'hat' and a 'u' is short as in 'push'. Which plainly sounds f*&^ing ridiculous, so I always pronounce it Stay-tus with a glotteral stop on the second T because I live in south Essex.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1399810090' post='2447842']
Status is a latin word and in latin based languages the 'a' is generally short as in 'hat' and a 'u' is short as in 'push'.
[/quote]

So... 'Stah-toos'? Yes, it is ridiculous. :)

Despite our preferences, at least they are both understood in English. Statut, stato or estado less so (blame Google translate not me if wrong!).
Similarly with 'data' (day-ta or dar-ta). The pronunciation of words such as these may either regionalise you or make you sound like a twit depending on your take on it.

Anyway, surely 'fender' is a better word! 😉

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399818086' post='2447954']
So... what about Warwick then? Is this German bass maker pronounced War-wick (US version) or Worrick (UK version)?
[/quote]

In ALL pronunciations the Americanism must be discounted......Just saying he he

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1399816633' post='2447939']
I'm sure Dawn from Status says "State-us". I spoke to her on the phone about a string order a few months back.
[/quote]

I don't know. She's usually half way through 'Status-Graphite' by the time the phone connects when I've phoned. :D

So, I guess I have been pronouncing Billy Cobam's tune all wrong for years. Hmm.