Why become a member? ×

Of the lightweight heads available... Class AB

Dood

Just out of interest really, I'd like to know which of the lightweight (or indeed small form factor) bass heads feature Class AB power amplifiers instead of D Class?

I think certain MarkBass models do? What about the likes of the Eden Traveller heads? I feel some tests coming on!

for the stupid amongst us... can you explain the difference? I know that AB or D (or H i've seen somewhere) is one bit they can save weight on, along with the power supply... but apart from that I'm a bit uneducated

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1399772062' post='2447547']
The awesome Mesa Walkabout is AB. Small amp, huge heft. I've run mine through a Barefaced BT2 and it's incredible, it has so much heft.
[/quote]

Yeah. Once you've tried a Walkabout, the others feel a bit 'diet'.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399791780' post='2447575']

Yeah. Once you've tried a Walkabout, the others feel a bit 'diet'.
[/quote]

I've always read really good things about these amps and many times I've thought about getting one but I'm worried those 300 watts are not enough, I play in rather loud band :)
Any ideas on how it compares, volume and tone wise, to heads like the Aguilar TH500?
I'd run this amp through a Barefaced Super Twin

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1399795535' post='2447615']
I've always read really good things about these amps and many times I've thought about getting one but I'm worried those 300 watts are not enough, I play in rather loud band :)
Any ideas on how it compares, volume and tone wise, to heads like the Aguilar TH500?
[/quote]

WoT is the man to 'subjectively' answer that. ;)

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1399795535' post='2447615']
[/quote]

I have no experience with the TH500 so I can't comment on that,

Most of my bands are pretty controlled volume-wise, but I've done deps in loud bands with the Walkabout, and as long as I've brought enough cone area along (2 x Bergantino 2x10s at the time), it's never struggled. It's just given out an honest, fat, analogue punch with a proper backbone.

Don't forget it's a conservative 300 watts - it's 340w into 4ohm. It'll also put 480w into 2ohm.

That said, it you crave clean headroom, don't bother.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399796863' post='2447626']

I have no experience with the TH500 so I can't comment on that,

Most of my bands are pretty controlled volume-wise, but I've done deps in loud bands with the Walkabout, and as long as I've brought enough cone area along (2 x Bergantino 2x10s at the time), it's never struggled. It's just given out an honest, fat, analogue punch with a proper backbone.

Don't forget it's a conservative 300 watts - it's 340w into 4ohm. It'll also put 480w into 2ohm.

That said, it you crave clean headroom, don't bother.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.
Might not be enough for me as my cab is 4 ohm... The TH500 is loud little amp, it would be interesting to hear from someone that has used both.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1399758636' post='2447465']
for the stupid amongst us... can you explain the difference? I know that AB or D (or H i've seen somewhere) is one bit they can save weight on, along with the power supply... but apart from that I'm a bit uneducated
[/quote]
You can find an explanation [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_AB#Class_AB"]here[/url].

The practical benefit of Class D is the lack of big heavy mains transformers.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1399799719' post='2447672']
You can find an explanation [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_AB#Class_AB"]here[/url].

[/quote]

In point of fact you could use a transformer PSU with a class D amp but it defeats the point somewhat since the primary design objective is light weight and efficiency.

Conversely you can use a switched mode PSU with a class A/B/AB with some additional trickery that allows them to vary the supply voltage in line with the signal thus overcoming the inherent inefficiency of A/B/AB designs operating on a fixed voltage. This is the so-called "class H" design used in earlier light weight PA amps such QSC PLX range but this design seems to be losing ground to class D designs these days.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1399799719' post='2447672']
[/quote]

The power supply and associated mains transformer are a separate issue from the type of power amp used. Usually Class-D amps and switch-mode power supplies are used together, but there are exceptions. The older Acoustic Image heads had a linear power supply with a toroidal mains transformer powering a Class-D power amp and were surprisingly weighty for their size. The Markbass LMII uses a lightweight switch-mode power supply with a class-AB power amp.

The WB through my BFBT2 is way louder than I would ever need and would be too loud for an unmic'd drum kit to compete with but as WoT points out, it's not about clean headroom, it's a filthy little amp. The WB is a different animal completely to the TH500, it's actually more comparable to valve amps in the way it behaves and sounds. I absolutely love it. Almost as much as my 400+.

I had a Walkabout for while - didn't get on with it at all and sold it very quickly. Sounded a bit flat and wooly to me, especially in combo format :(

Conversely I've had a TH500 more or less since they came out. Have tried a lot of other heads along the way but keep coming back to the TH :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1399819825' post='2447971']
I had a Walkabout for while - didn't get on with it at all and sold it very quickly. Sounded a bit flat and wooly to me, especially in combo format :(
[/quote]

Yeah - the Walkabout doesn't really shine in the Scout combo.

Having owned a variety of lightweight heads some AB and some class D I can't say I've ever heard a significanyou noticeable difference in sound or performance.

A lot of heft IMO in the small lightweight stuff comes from the preamp voicing and EQ stack not much else.

One amp I am totally blown away with is the car stereo GK MB200. Massive sound and volume came from that and my super compact at the bass bash, just a shame it's missing an actual master volume.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399883201' post='2448491']
The pre amp and overall design/limiting will have a much larger impact on tone and volume over the difference between two similarly rated, but different class, power amp sections.
[/quote]

Yep - I think you'll be pushed to find any Class D that doesn't have some sort of limiting circuit in place to 'simulate' a louder amp.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1399831674' post='2448135']
Stop all this positive Walkabout talk, they sound like a fine back up for my valvey goodness and I can't afford one :D
[/quote]

If it helps, I wasn't blown away by the Walkabout either. I A-B'd against my Streamliner, and though there wasn't tons in it, I kept the Streamliner and the Walkabout went back (to WoT! :D ). Having said that, I guess 900 Class D against 300(ish) Class AB is different numbers, but the Streamliner was smaller, lighter and cheaper, which were factors for me. I didn't notice any difference in 'heft', either. Cabs could be a big factor here, too...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399883431' post='2448494']
Yep - I think you'll be pushed to find any Class D that doesn't have some sort of limiting circuit in place to 'simulate' a louder amp.
[/quote]

Aye I agree, but I think all of the modern amps, in fact all amps (?), have limiting circuits of some sort. I'm not an expert, but I know the limiter on the class A/B Markbass LM3 was pretty harsh...clamped down when the master volume was just over 12 o'clock, (more so at 8 ohms).

Limiting circuits have come a long way, more so in the modern lightweight amps.

You then have something like the TC amps, which is going in a completely different direction.

I imagine the magic of the WA is a sum of all the well designed parts of the amps getting that 'right' tone at a pretty decent volume, in a small package.

As one of the ex Genz guys is now working for Mesa, who knows what we might get! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399885407' post='2448512']
As one of the ex Genz guys is now working for Mesa, who knows what we might get! :)
[/quote]

Oooo, now that's interesting news... :D