Why become a member? ×

aww bless

steve-bbb

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1398285752' post='2432598']
Good for her!! It's a cracking song and the crowds love it. Spot on.
[/quote]

yes i agree - its a great one to play imho mcton ymmv blah blah etc :D

and i have the added bonus of not being forced to make the difficult decision of whether to play it on a P or a J because i have 2 J's so a J it is then :ph34r:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1398292400' post='2432696']
Song about cars and girls..isn't that Prefab Sprout?
[/quote]

you read my mind sir

i keep noodling this at rehearsals trying to drop subtle hints - no luck yet though so please keep your fingers crossed y'all :) thank you

I remember being young, and thinking it would be a great song to do, and really enjoying it, and all the older guys in bands I was in, sighing and shaking their heads.
But dagnammit, the commitments had just come out, and everybody loved that song.
20-something years later I am also sighing and shaking my head...
i understand now,

Even I know the start of Phantom of the Opera, karlfer. You'll be playing 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac next :lol:

I remember playing 'Peaches' at a jazz rehearsal once before realising that no-one else in the room had actually been BORN when the Stranglers had originally released it!! :lol:

Ref: the 16 year old singer. No-one that young should be allowed to make decisions about repertoire. No-one.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1398335330' post='2432987']
Our singer (another young 'un) loves that song as well, tried explaining to her that we were all sick of it but in the end it's easier just to do the damn song. Annoyingly it [i]still[/i] goes down really well.

At least it's not Summer of '69....
[/quote]

yes this

and to answer Bilbo, our young singer doesnt have any major creative input into the set list contents - considering she has to be familiar with 70+ songs in our set list as either lead vox or back vox it is small consellation to let her pick a tune she likes and wants to sing :)

Even though I'm old enough to be your singer's granny, I can relate to her on this one.
It's all very well for you old hands to be terribly bored of playing the same old classics all the time. But some of us who are new to this lark have not had the pleasure of belting out some of these old gems.

I'm not a massive fan of Mustang Sally tbh, but that's just my personal taste. But I would really love to do some of the other old chestnuts such as Sweet Home Alabama, All Right Now.. even Sex on Fire. In fact I aim to do just that some day, just need to convince the rest of the band! :lol: