Why become a member? ×

Today this happened to me and it involves precision basses

Geek99

As much as I love everything about the jazz bass, the sound of a Precision with flats is the sound in my head and that's something I can never escape from, so it has to be a precision for me. Luckily I've stumbled across the revelation of getting a jazz neck profile on a Precision and now I get the best of both. Playability of a jazz and the tone of a precision. Never looking back.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1407453541' post='2520817']
As much as I love everything about the jazz bass, the sound of a Precision with flats is the sound in my head and that's something I can never escape from, so it has to be a precision for me. Luckily I've stumbled across the revelation of getting a jazz neck profile on a Precision and now I get the best of both. Playability of a jazz and the tone of a precision. Never looking back.
[/quote]
Great, isn't it?

I find it very hard to discern which bass is being played on any broadcast song. I don't know whether this is due to the amount of compression applied, some bandwith thing, the quality of the loudspeakers on most radios is pants, and since I do most of my music listening in cars all the other noise around to distract.

Glad the OP liked the song though, for me it was one of the better U2 offerings.

[/quote]

Being a confirmed Precision man, but wanting a Jazz in my armoury, the opposite would work for me. Jazz with Precision neck.

#g a jazz neck profile on a Precision and now I get the best of both. Playability of a jazz and the tone of a precision. Never looking back.
[/quote]
Great innit!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397630679' post='2425734']
I'm always up for P-Bass love! But the naysayers won't like it! :D[size=4] :P[/size]
[/quote]

A P-Bass isn't for me but there is a reason why they are pretty much the default bass for so many gigs.
If you have a very good tone stack, you don't need active, IMO, you just need a bass that fills out and
support the low end of the band. Many pub bands may go active... but they completely lose the ability
to support the band sound-wise, so the sound is boxey. This might be rectified to some degree with
bass through the P.A, but not necessarily. I blame active humbuckers or bass suckers... :lol:
and their badly thought out execution.
This low mid boxy sound sounds so flat and squeezes to band sound dynmaic range. Not good to listen and
so wearing on the ears. Couple that to a poor sound flappy kit sound ... OMG..!! :lol: :lol: