Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass in the PA causing it to break?

barneyg42

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1395924091' post='2407948']
To be fair, ask her and her dad to explain the scientific justification they have for making this obscure statement. They clearly THINK they know why your bass has blown it and will be able to explain how the bass can affect the PA in detail to you ;)

Either that or you'll call their bluff and get to watch them stumble and squirm before you emerge triumphantly with a 'it can't be me because...' statement, informed by the mighty knowledge of Basschat.

Also. Please film and post the latter :P
[/quote]

It's because if you don't use proper bass bins, all that bass can't get out of the desk properly, where it builds up to excessive levels and causes untold damage. Simple electrical engineering principles! :crazy:

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395927189' post='2408028']

It's because if you don't use proper bass bins, all that bass can't get out of the desk properly, where it builds up to excessive levels and causes untold damage. Simple electrical engineering principles! :crazy:
[/quote]

Ah, so that's what they call 'bass ghosting' which must have something to do with Phantom power? :P

Actually it's not quite so simple as that. The desk contains lots of pixies, who shovel all the incoming sound into wheelbarrows and cart it across to the speaker outputs, where it gets sprinkled with special EQ dust before they stuff it through the terminals and into the speaker cable. The trouble is that incoming sound with lots of bass in it is a lot heavier than normal sound, and the pixies find it more difficult to shovel into their barrows. Eventually they get so tired that they have to stop for a rest, and thus can't carry any sound to the outputs at all. But sound keeps arriving at the desk, and without the pixies to carry it around it slowly fills the inside of the desk and asphyxiates them.
So when the tech says he's replacing output transformers, what he's actually doing is bunging some more pixies in.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1395926030' post='2407996']
Her dad is in Wales and has nothing to do with us apart from last time when it blew he went apeshit at her...
[/quote]

[center]The Welsh National Theatre presents a play in one act:[/center]

[center][size=5][b]Dos i chwarae efo dy nain[/b][/size][/center]

[i]Scene: A cottage kitchen. A tin bath hangs by the door. The mantelpiece is dressed with Welsh dolls. On a wall hangs a portrait of JPR Williams. An elderly man with a beard like a hedge is whittling scrimshaw at the table.[/i]

[i](SFX: Male voice choir rendering 'Men Of Harlech' to - fade)[/i]

Enter Myfanwy:

Myfanwy: 'Allo, Da.

Da: (Grunts) Our Myfanwy...

Myfanwy: Da ... I dunno 'ow to tell you but ...

Da: It's that shinach, Evans' boy, intit? Giving him a swydd chwythiant behind the wine bar, were you, like the strumpet you are? God be thanked yer Ma is gone this ten year, she'd die of shame, look you.

Myfanwy: No, Da. It's the PA. It's gone again. Sounds like a fel rhech jet.

Da: Pwdin blew! Were you letting that lembo of a bass player use it? I've told you before it's a Dynacord. A precision tool designed to accommodate only the female human voice. Anything below your range and it'll be cacging planciau in its fuse-box.

Myfanwy: Well, he's gone on the inter-Llweb, see, and these people reckon its something else and you're an interfering old corris.

Da: Dammo! My bluff's been called. Sit down, love. It's time for some truth in this house.

Myfanwy: (worried) What is it Da?

Da: When I told you I'd been the soundman with Showaddywaddy and I'd nicked your PA from their storage after The Aberystwyth Incident ... well ... I lied.

Myfanwy: Oh, Da!

Da: No. I knocked your PA up out of some winding gear, a one armed-bandit and a pit-pony. That's why it's dim gwerth rhech dafad

Myfanwy: But why, Da?

Da: After your Ma died, well, I just wanted to do everything for you but you went off to the bright lights of Surrey and I was ashamed

Myfanwy: Oh Da, I love you.

Da: I love you too, Myfanwy

(They fall sobbing into each others arms)

[center][i][b]Curtain[/b][/i][/center]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1395920538' post='2407904']

Phantom power for the sax only, active bass, DI from TC head post compression, input gain no where near red lighting, just a bit on the front end for spread of sound as mentioned in a previous post. I'm guessing it's just a dodgy desk, singer seems to think as it was supplied to her for her solo act by putting stuff into the other 11 channels (especially the bass) we are damaging it!! At the end of the day we all help with repairs but I object to getting the blame and if it keeps happening how much money do we throw at it! Oh and if anything redlines it it's always her vocals or the bass drum!!
[/quote]

Ye're overloading the desk leading to it blowing a transformer. Despite the strips being kept below clipping there's still too much running at the same time.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1395930685' post='2408096']...(They fall sobbing into each others arms)

[/quote]

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url] [url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url] [url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url] [url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url][url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url] [url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url] [url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]

Edited by Dad3353

Well if it's an old desk then it might just be age catching up with it.

Transformers have a finite life and there may have been a damaged component in the mixer for years which finally gave out.

It could also simply be that the pixies are unelfy and just wanna go gnome. :D

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1395934774' post='2408160']
I reckon the short answer is it's an elf and safety issue!
Anyone got a Midget for sale???
[/quote]

I have... His name is Little Mark (the third)! If he's unsuitable, his dad (Little Mark II) may be available...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1395930685' post='2408096']

[i]Scene: A cottage kitchen. A tin bath hangs by the door. The mantelpiece is dressed with Welsh dolls. On a wall hangs a portrait of JPR Williams. An elderly man with a beard like a hedge is whittling scrimshaw at the table.[/i]

Enter Myfanwy:

Da: It's that shinach, Evans' boy, intit? Giving him a swydd chwythiant behind the wine bar, were you, like the strumpet you are? God be thanked yer Ma is gone this ten year, she'd die of shame, look you.

Da: Pwdin blew! Were you letting that lembo of a bass player use it? I've told you before it's a Dynacord. A precision tool designed to accommodate only the female human voice. Anything below your range and it'll be cacging planciau in its fuse-box.

Myfanwy: Well, he's gone on the inter-Llweb, see, and these people reckon its something else and you're an interfering old corris.

Da: Dammo! My bluff's been called. Sit down, love. It's time for some truth in this house.

Da: When I told you I'd been the soundman with Showaddywaddy and I'd nicked your PA from their storage after The Aberystwyth Incident ... well ... I lied.

Da: No. I knocked your PA up out of some winding gear, a one armed-bandit and a pit-pony. That's why it's dim gwerth rhech dafad

Da: After your Ma died, well, I just wanted to do everything for you but you went off to the bright lights of Surrey and I was ashamed

[/quote]

Blatant racism!!

:lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1395933473' post='2408144']
Well if it's an old desk then it might just be age catching up with it.

Transformers have a finite life and there may have been a damaged component in the mixer for years which finally gave out.

[/quote]

Definitely.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1395932783' post='2408133']
But oh god I lied.......it's only ten channels.....
[/quote]

There's your problem right there! You've been trying to put 12 channels through a 10 channel mixer.

Or is it one of these?...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1395930685' post='2408096']

Enter Myfanwy:

[/quote]

Sir, I sincerely hope you have not missed your vocation ;)

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1395937727' post='2408208']

Blatant racism!!

:lol:
[/quote]

Agreed!

I didn't know whether to raise my disgust with S4C or to continue laughing! ;)

For what it's worth, I used to go through the PA but for some unknown reason we started getting dreadful feedback through the stage monitors when it was a bass drum and my bass heavy part (we have an old Peavy system with proper bass bins), so now I just crank up my rig and wear earplugs! The problem with feedback for the singers and keys is now much better.

I think it's system age. And Myfanwy and Da need to wind their necks in!

Edited by SpaceChick