Why become a member? ×

Soundtracks

Bilbo

Excellent soundtrack!, but sorry, mine beats yours! :)
[url="http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/pelham123.htm"]The Taking of Pelham 123[/url]

Possibly the filthiest groove ever for a main title.

Yes David Shire!

Also, check out [url="http://www.blaxploitation.com"]www.blaxploitation.com[/url]

[quote name='nick' post='237447' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:53 PM']Excellent call.

I'll raise you with 'Dirty Harry' Lalo Schifrin.
Loads of good tracks, & some nice fuzzy bass. Seem to recall Chuck Rainey was bass player on the soundtrack(?)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbHl6hStvk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbHl6hStvk...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Some great stuff here. Four of my personal faves I haven't spotted but might have missed, soundtracks to;
"Cal" (Mark Knopfler best music he's ever done, and way better than Local Hero)
"Metropolis" (Giorgio Moroder, with great guest vocalising by Freddie Mercury, Pat Benetar etc)
"Paris, Texas" (Ry Cooder)
"Pat Garrett & Billy the kid" (Bob Dylan) :)

I wrote a list, then read the thread!

But I'm largely going to reiterate what others have said...

Gattaca - Michael Nyman
The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams
Dirty Harry - Lalo Schifrin (esp. the beginning) is awesome.

+1 to Stingray5 for reminding me of "Dune"
and also for Fifth Element, particularly the multi-voiced cyan opera-alien!

But I'll add;

Restless Natives - Big Country
Last Man Standing - Ry Cooder's guitar work on this is outstanding!
Platoon - Particularly "Adagio for strings" by Samuel Barber

And for those of you who like it "dirty";

Judgement Night - especially;
Faith No More/Boo ya tribe - Another body murdered
Helmet/ House of pain - Just another Victim

for one off emotion hit probably from Twin Peaks
"Sycamore Trees"
that Black Lodge was an acid flashback, especially those bloody curtains.

for totality of the film
Miles Davis for "Ascenseur pour Lechafaud".
this is music, you know you hear this and you go somewhere else
not the Black Lodge I hope.

and whilst the film "Siesta" was pants personified Miles and Marcus still nailed some good stuff.

[quote name='foal30' post='238331' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:37 AM']for one off emotion hit probably from Twin Peaks
"Sycamore Trees"
that Black Lodge was an acid flashback, especially those bloody curtains.[/quote]
+1

Twin Peaks is one of my all time favourites.. Angelo Badalamenti, I believe?

And I have to concur with the mentions for:

West Side Story - Stephen Sondheim & Leonard Bernstein at their very, very best!
Blade Runner - one of my favourite films.. unforgettable
Dune
Paris, texas
Dirty Harry

And to add another two:

The Draughtsman's Contract - Michael Nyman

and just to keep the David Lynch theme going, Blue Velvet..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='238411' date='Jul 13 2008, 11:26 AM']Twin Peaks is one of my all time favourites.. Angelo Badalamenti, I believe?

and just to keep the David Lynch theme going, Blue Velvet..[/quote]

For Balamenti/Lynch, how about 'The Straight Story' - guaranteed to relax you to coma level. Fits the film perfectly and works as an album on its own.

The incredibles - Michael Giacchino. (7/4 time signature through loads of it - so expertly crafted it sounds fluid and natural)
Clash of the Titans - Leonard Roseman I think - very 'Old School'. (Not so sure about the film though, but the Medusa bit gave me nightmares throughout my childhood!)
Catch Me if You Can - John Williams going back to his original Jazz roots - very inventive. Not at all like his blockbusters (which I love as well, obviously). - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Great! especially the mine cart chase bit.

What [u]I don't[/u] like is when composers rip off Aaron Copland's work (and never credit him with it) which seems to be mainstream practise - **cough**James Horner**cough**

[quote name='JonnyB' post='238778' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:50 PM']...What [u]I don't[/u] like is when composers rip off Aaron Copland's work (and never credit him with it) which seems to be mainstream practise - **cough**James Horner**cough**[/quote]

Or Emerson, Lake & Palmer!

Having said that, some of John Williams' material is [i]heavily[/i] influenced by Mahler, Holst, Wagner and Strauss... It's unavoidable to an extent, I suppose.

Leonard Rosenman had a reputation as a bit of a hack (!?). He would take bits of his other works and cut and paste them - If you listen to his soundtrack for one of the Star Trek films, he has used bit os his work on Ralph Bakshi's 'The Lord of the Rings'. Even my brother heard that and is has the ears of a snake. A bit of a cliche regurgitator - I still like some of his stuff tho' (not heard Clash Of The Titans).

On Golden Pond - Grusin at his emotional best.Superb Piano.
Tootsie...Just Love it.
Most of Hans Zimmer.
The Wiz...Superb Tunes and Grooves.
Danny Elfman - Batmans returns...very clever [Just love his work] And He knows his Jazz!

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='tauzero' post='237435' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:40 PM']Not a film, a TV series - "Edge of Darkness" by Kamen and Clapton.[/quote]
Oh yes. I still have this on very clunky video tape somewhere. Probably the best thing Clapton's ever done ;-)

Still talking TV, John Tams deserves a mention for his very authentic contributions to the Sharpe series.

All Ry Cooder's scores have something going for them, Southern Comfort, Long Riders, Johnnie Handsome, Across the Border, Paris Texas, and Buena Vista Social Club.

Our older readers might recall The Battle Of Britain, a classic classic march Aces High and some of William Walton's finest work.

Judgement Night from 1993, the OST is way better than the film and is all rock, indie and metal bands collaborating (I think Fred Durst may have a copy of this ;-)):

Highlights include:

Helmet and House of Pain - Just another victim
Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul - Fallin'
Faith No Maore and Boo Yaa Tribe - Another Body Murdered
Slayer & Ice T - Disorder
Living Colour and Run DMC - Me, Myself and My Microphone
Cypress Hill and Pearl Jam - Real Thing
Mudhoney and Sir Mixalot - Freak Momma

One of my favourite albums of the 1990s