Why become a member? ×

Soundtracks

Bilbo

Soundtrack albums. An acquired taste but what are your favourites? The rule is it must be a work put together for a film soundtrack and not a compilation of hits to act as a backdrop to a 'set piece'.

Personally I regularly revisit:

Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Navarettes score for 'Pan's Labyrinth' (a recent acquisition)
Pat Metheny's 'A Map of the World'
John Williams' 'Schindler's List'
'Finding Forester' - some great work by Bill Frissel and the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of 'Over The Rainbow' is deeply moving - actually, this technically breaks the rule but no-one would have ever heard the 'hits' compiled for this soundtrack so I let it in! :)

Any great soundtracks out there that stand up for themselves as pieces of music?

I don't buy many actual soundtrack albums, but one was for the 1995 movie [url="http://www.metacritic.com/video/titles/heat"]Heat[/url], which is pretty avant-garde stuff. The original soundtrack pieces are by Elliot Goldenthal and the "Dead Elk Guitar Orchestra", plus it has tracks by the likes of Terje Rypdal, Moby, and Michael Brook.

One I didn't buy, but was impressed by, was Trevor Rabin's soundtrack to the thriller [url="http://www.metacritic.com/video/titles/sixthday"]The 6th Day[/url]. Unlike most of Trevor's soundtrack work (Armageddon, Con Air, etc.), it actually sounds like him, and you can tell the film makers liked it: the DVD has a soundtrack-only channel.

For sheer mind-blowing power, I have to mention the soundtrack to [url="http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0113568/"]Ghost In The Shell[/url]: mostly original pieces by Kenji Kawai. The opening credits has a vocal piece in an ancient Japanese dialect, that sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. The animation may be slightly NSFW:

The [b]Pulp Fiction[/b] soundtrack is fantastic. It was the first soundtrack i bought and the only one I ever listen to. Some great tunes on there. Tarantino soundtracks are nearly always great though IMO.

EDIT: Doesn't fit into Bilbo's rule that "it must be a work put together for a film soundtrack and not a compilation of hits to act as a backdrop to a 'set piece'"...but f*** it, it's a great soundtrack :)

I do have one that does fit into the rule though - Moguai's [i]Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait[/i]. Awesome soundtrack, totally epic in places. [i]Black Spider [/i]is my #1 moody chill out track.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='237247' date='Jul 11 2008, 12:46 PM']I've got Fifth Element somewhere, I'll have another listen...[/quote]

It's a great soundtrack, unfortunately one of the cool reggae numbers in the film is not on it. "Diva Dance" with its vocal trickery is an incredible track IMO. The opening track is a really well constructed soft riffy rock number.

Michael Nyman has composed some good film soundtracks, e.g. "Gattaca"

Jennifer