Why become a member? ×

Do Basses have Trends?!

rodacademy

There are two briefs, Fender and modern...
Fenders are, well, covered by Fenders and modern gets you into,- maybe Warwick, but they are unfashionable now,- the realms
of Ken Smith et al and the modern sound.
Fender territory might be subbed out by Musicman, but Fenders do it better and active basses are
less popular at the high end..because, you have been through the sound thing and you don't need
much augmentation, tbh and you have pro people who get you past that anyway.

Most bass rigs don't get much past a Fender and Ampeg.

There are variations on the two sounds, here and there, but not bought into much..Visually, it might be Fender or nothing
and you wont get certain basses on stages with certain gigs...

IMO

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395238107' post='2400057']
What amuses me about trends in basses is how uber-trendy bass players nowadays assert that retro-style basses strung with flatwounds and old tube amps are preferable with exactly the same zeal and unerring confidence as trendy bass players asserted that hi-tech fancy basses with active electronics and bi-amped amplification rigs were the way to go back in the 1980's. The same folks would have been using the opposite equipment what they do now and espousing the opposite philosophy regarding playing it. There was was an age when, in the world of bass, more was better and to play the style known as "more" you needed up-to-date gear. One day, that style will return.
[/quote]

Oh God no, I hope it doesn't! At the time I bucked the trend somewhat as I never bought into the hi-tech fancy bass thing or active electrics or bi-amped rigs. Just stayed with what I liked until it came back into fashion again. Just like my clothes, really... though I [i]am [/i]currently enjoying my MB Fusion. Which is new, isn't it? Well, relatively... it does have valves in it, though.

Just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not, never have been, and no doubt never will be, an uber-trendy hipster. :)

No, because musicians in bands know or think they know what they want...and they may determine what
you play on the gig...
If visuals play any sort of part...and in some gigs they certainly do, then you can only do those gigs
with certain type of gear and sounds.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395240671' post='2400088']
Most bass rigs don't get much past a Fender and Ampeg.
[/quote]

I can't agree with that. You only have to look at the 'Show us your rig' forum to see an incredibly wide and varied range of every possible combination of bass, amp and cab, which must surely represent a huge tone spectrum. :)

Edited by discreet

My intial point was split between Fender and modern as there comes a point when this
split is pertinent
I was talking about bigger gigs mostly...where sound and the image are main drivers..
Otherwise any trend is not really relevant ...

But you wouldn't do a country gig with an Alembic..that sport of thing..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395250998' post='2400265']
But you wouldn't do a country gig with an Alembic..that sort of thing...
[/quote]

Well I wouldn't, no. In fact I wouldn't do a country gig at all, but I take your point.
But I've seen plenty of pics of people playing Ritters in pub cover bands, which I find quite amusing. :)

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1395228910' post='2399901']
Whatever I happen to be selling always seems to be out of fashion / no longer favour of the month. I seem to be a trendsetter in reverse :blink:
[/quote] no - that would make you a trendsetter. As you sell it it goes out of fashion.
so big up yourself! You may have no money but you are starting trends! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395251291' post='2400270']
Well I wouldn't, no. In fact I wouldn't do a country gig at all, but I take your point.
But I've seen plenty of pics of people playing Ritters in pub cover bands, which I find quite amusing. :)
[/quote]

I am sure they do.... but when I had my modern sounding Sei, of course it would cover a gig as
it had 5 strings and was tuned conventionally so it would work... but it didn't REALLY work, and I found myself
wanting a more traditional sound..which meant a Jazz..which means ...Fenders.
Of course, other people make Fender clones...and I use them ( they are better basses, IMO ) but they sound
like a traditional Jazz.......... and some gigs just have to have that even at a local level...

When image becomes a factor... then even more critical.
You can't do an Oasis gig on a Warwick :lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

I really noticed the trend thing when I got back into playing, I' d been in a band from 1988 to 2000, going from my first very uncool Japanese Squier P through pointy headstock Arias to a Washburn 5 string, all active after the Squier. Then stopped playing from 2000 to 2008 while kids happened, and this internet thing, for me anyway, happened. Got back into a band in 2008, didn't want to play the heavy weight Washburn so looked for a new bass, and was absolutely shocked when looking online and in shops that Fenders were popular! I kind of assumed they'd be almost obsolete by then, or maybe out of business! Now I'm obviously much better informed due to t'internet, and have embraced both " modern" style basses and traditional Fender styles, and I love both, but trends will come and go, as reflected in used prices on here and elsewhere.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395250998' post='2400265']
But you wouldn't do a country gig with an Alembic..that sport of thing..
[/quote]

Well I would... or any of my Steinbergers, or a Fender P or J etc. etc.

The point here being that this is nothing to do with music and sound and everything to do with visual appearance and fashion. Having never been a follower of fashion, I am free to play whatever bass I like at any point in time.

And yes, the trends are cyclical. A few years back, suddenly Rickenbackers were right on trend again and it seemed that every other young band was using one. They seem to be off the boil now although the new walnut/ maple 4003 model may well change that again.

The only thing certain in this life is change and the dial is unlikely to be perennially set to Fender!

Cheers

Ed

life is waves in repetition. sometimes you ride the tube, sometimes you don't. there are some basses that can help you to play what you need, but it will aways be the instrument, not the brand in YOUR hands...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395238107' post='2400057']
What amuses me about trends in basses is how uber- trendy bass players nowadays assert that retro-style basses strung with flatwounds and old tube amps are preferable with exactly the same zeal and unerring confidence as trendy bass players asserted that hi-tech fancy basses with active electronics and bi-amped amplification rigs were the way to go back in the 1980's. [/quote]

More amusing still is that they're often the same person. :D

I think the 80's were an interesting time for bassists.

Hybrid amps, headless basses, exotic materials, effects pedals, string technologies - probably more advances in that one decade than in the previous 50 years and the years after.

Some of the ideas have lasted the course, others have fallen by the wayside.

Everything was trendy in the 80's.

Except me - I've always been an old fart. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1395283472' post='2400701']
I think the 80's were an interesting time for bassists.

Hybrid amps, headless basses, exotic materials, effects pedals, string technologies - probably more advances in that one decade than in the previous 50 years and the years after.

Some of the ideas have lasted the course, others have fallen by the wayside.

Everything was trendy in the 80's.

Except me - I've always been an old fart. :)
[/quote]
My music room looks like an 80s junk shop. I think the most 80s looking thing I have is a Cort headless Flying V guitar, in signal yellow (I painted it yellow, it was translucent red originally. Before I painted it yellow it had been green, and purple and silver). I once saw its Bass twin, it was only £140 but I couldn't afford it, I so, so wish I had bought it, though. I've never seen another since. Though topping that for 80s looking I did used to own a Westone Raider I in grey and silver glitter.

I definitely notice trends on here. Wayne mentioned Sue Ryder basses and there was a phase where loads of people were snapping them up. Equally I remember HighwayOne basses being the essential purchase of choice for a while as was a Jack Cassady bass. Amp wise the Orange Terror seemed really popular for a time as did the Mark Bass stuff. A lot of these choices seem reflected by indie bands on TV too. I guess we reflect a new product coming out and people want to snap it up. A few people stay with the bass of choice and most wind up getting sold on for the next wave of GAS. All good fun and completely irrelevant in equal measures.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395251291' post='2400270']

[/quote]I wondered why you found people playing Ritters in pub bands was amusing. On seeing the prices, i can see why now. Lovely looking instruments though.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1395592083' post='2404092']
I wondered why you found people playing Ritters in pub bands was amusing... [size=4]I can see why now.[/size]
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think Ritters are great. Taking one to a pub gig in your Ferrari - even better. ;)

What a great thread and it has really made me think about my own buying habits. Without thinking I would strongly say that I don't and haven't followed trends. But when I think about it I probably have very strongly followed trends without thinking! Before the internet I was definitely influenced by what I saw on tv and by what basses were actually in the shops. It's slightly different and more diverse these days, but again I still find myself taking an interest in what others are using and/or talking about on the net. Hmmmmm

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1395609656' post='2404376']
Without thinking I would strongly say that I don't and haven't followed trends. But when I think about it I probably have very strongly followed trends without thinking!
[/quote]
Indeed...

The vast majority of society are very much wide open to manipulation. I wonder if [i]each and both of you realise[/i] as you read this?