Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New site dedicated to Rickenfakers

chriswareham

Hi folks, I've just put up the basics for site devoted to Rickenfakers:

http://www.rickenfaker.info/

I'm hoping it can become a useful repository for descriptions, technical specs and pictures of bass guitars that are influenced by the design of the Rickenbacker 4000 series. So far I've added incomplete pages for the Rickenfakers I have owned, and I would love it if the owners of other models felt like submitting informations on those that they own or any further information on the models already up there. I'm particularly interested in scans of original promotional material such as magazine adverts or catalogues as I guess these are the "primary source material" for reliable information.

Note to the moderators - I pledge not to my site for anything commercial (for example, trading Rickenfakers) and I wont be adding any advertising to it. However, if you feel this post is inappropriate for Basschat then please remove it.

Cheers,

Chris

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1393973555' post='2386579']
Nice one - images are missing for the Jolana by the way!
[/quote]

Yup, they should be up tomorrow. The only ones I have at the moment are from when I first acquired it, complete with truss rod cover that looked as though it had been fashioned from a plastic lid using a pair of scissors!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393973863' post='2386584']
Burn the Kay with fire!
[/quote]

I have soft spot for the Kay - crudest construction I've ever seen but it sounds fantastic! I own another one in blue, but it was just a parts donor since the scratch plate was so badly cut that it pressed up against the pickup surrounds and broke them. I harvested the bridge and ashtray cover from it since the previous owner of the "tobacco burst" one had stuck on a Fender Jazz bridge with string spacing that was too wide.

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1393975040' post='2386613']
I have soft spot for the Kay - crudest construction I've ever seen but it sounds fantastic!
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. I had flatwounds on the K-20B i recently sold and despite it's crude construction it sounded great.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393975738' post='2386627']
Nice one! Thanks for doing this.
I can send you the measurements for the Rockinbetter if you don't have those.
[/quote]

Yes please! That's the only one that's up there at the moment that I no longer own. Mine was the later model one which I found to be very well made, although the pickups weren't very aesthetically pleasing to look at. I considered putting pickups from [url="http://classicamplification.net/Pickups/Rick_pickup.htm"]Classic Amplification[/url] into it, but then sold it when I got the Hondo.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1393976501' post='2386633']
Ive advertised that you're after info over at the rickenfakers facebook page!
[/quote]

Cool! If memory serves I think you're the guy with a Gherson - would you be up for sending me some pics and technical details of it if you still have it? From what I've read the Ghersons were Italian made and one of the best.

Edited by chriswareham

Hi Chris, just checked out the site and it's a good start. I'll get some pics & info together of my 3 (Kasuga bolt-neck, Matsumoku-made through-neck/dual truss, & unknown (possibly originally a Shaftesbury) through-neck.

I've also got numerous 70s catalogues which feature pics & model numbers (including the Hondo) so if I can get my laptop to talk to my ancient scanner, I can get these to you as well.

BTW the Hondo's Korean, not Japanese. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1393977729' post='2386645']
Hi Chris, just checked out the site and it's a good start. I'll get some pics & info together of my 3 (Kasuga bolt-neck, Matsumoku-made through-neck/dual truss, & unknown (possibly originally a Shaftesbury) through-neck.

I've also got numerous 70s catalogues which feature pics & model numbers (including the Hondo) so if I can get my laptop to talk to my ancient scanner, I can get these to you as well.

BTW the Hondo's Korean, not Japanese. :)

Jon.
[/quote]

Oops - I'll correct the Hondo page straight away!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394005701' post='2386714']
Good stuff Chris, can it have a marketplace or will that run into problems?
[/quote]

Our experience of the sort of attention you get from advertising a few odd fakes shows that a site dedicated to doing nothing but that wouldn't be a particularly good idea. :rolleyes:

Such a site wouldn't be linked to from Basschat.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394005701' post='2386714']
Good stuff Chris, can it have a marketplace or will that run into problems?
[/quote]

I would have thought there must be a way to do this without too many problems... e.g. sending pics privately via email, etc... [size=4]Now some of this stuff here is very nice, and not too pricey, either... *displays range of questionable under-the-counter goods*[/size]