Why become a member? ×

Rig too big!

CamdenRob

Whilst it seemed seemed like a good idea at the time, buying stuff in the Genz blowout means I now have a ridiculous rig that would allow me to play Wembley without PA support...

1200 watts is frankly ridiculous... Think I should downsize and get a pair of 112s. Not that there is anything wrong with the NXT-212s, they are the best sounding cab I've ever had... but might be overkill for my needs.

2 x 212;s probably sound great on a stadium tour but really is overkill for anything else. I'd sell 1 of the 212's and get a 112 to replace it.

IMO there's no point in selling a 212 and replacing it with 2 112's.

I have a 212 and 112 which I can run seperately or together and I haven't played a stadium in decades.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393853858' post='2384999']
2 x 212;s probably sound great on a stadium tour but really is overkill for anything else. I'd sell 1 of the 212's and get a 112 to replace it.

IMO there's no point in selling a 212 and replacing it with 2 112's.

I have a 212 and 112 which I can run seperately or together and I haven't played a stadium in decades.
[/quote]

I hadn't thought of combining a 212 and a 112... Chances of me playing a stadium are very slim...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1393853749' post='2384996']
Yes, 2 of those 212's must be VERY loud :) I use one and have never run out of volume with it, even in a park outdoors with not going through the PA it's done the bizz.
[/quote]

It's VERY loud... but louder than I will ever need

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393854041' post='2385002']
....I hadn't thought of combining a 212 and a 112....
[/quote]

99% of my gigs are done with the 212 but I keep the 112 for the small and acoustic gigs that occasionally come in, and I add it to the 212 for the jam nights and very loud stuff.

IMO 3x12's running at about half power sounds better than 1 212 running close to flat out.

No. I think they are pretty evenly matched. I've put the 112 on the top and bottom and it hasn't affected the overall sound in any noticeable way. The CN range is an update on the AE cabs so any minor differences, if there are any, seem to disappear in the band mix.

I also use the 312's for a jam night so I get to hear it from out front. All sounds just right to me.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1393881286' post='2385501']
....Is that with the Thunderfunk running them?....
[/quote]

Yep. I have an email from Dave Funk saying that my TFB750-A has the uprated spec of the TFB800-B2.

Which is:
800-watts @ 2-ohms
630-watts @ 4-ohms
305-watts @ 8-ohms

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1393884041' post='2385531']
Big rigs look cool, and give you extra headroom, what's not to like? ;)
[/quote]

I think they are kinda cool if your playing a stadium... both cabs would make me look like a bit of a wally in some of the dives my current band are likely to be gigging... :blink:

I often look at the stages I`m playing on, with my two little Markbass cubes (CMD121P & NY121) and think it looks miniscule in comparison to the 410 &115 stacks, or the 810s behind it.

Then I hear the sound they make when I`m on stage, and carry them both to the car at the same time after the gig, and remember exactly why I bought them - to fit my needs, not my eyesight.

I`d love an Ampeg fridge or stack, but I neither need one, or am able to cart one about, so it would purely be to feed my bass-players vanity (cos I do have some, honest :) ).

i'd love an ampeg SVT with a matching 8x10. It would look awesome but it's just not practical for me. Especially when your car is a Micra.

A 2x12 plus OBT500 has everything I want in a rig, amazing soung, small stage footprint and no more than 2 trips from car to stage. B)

I came it to this topic assuming op had 2 8x10s or something equally large.

I have, I assume, the same head. I run that through 2 1x12s and a 2x12.

It's not too big, it's just very flexible and capable.

I heartily support swapping out 1 4ohm 2x12 for 2 8ohm 1x12s. You finsh with a rig that sounds the same no matter how loud you want it as, to increase the volume, you just add more air movement.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393946747' post='2386120']
I often look at the stages I`m playing on, with my two little Markbass cubes (CMD121P & NY121) and think it looks miniscule in comparison to the 410 &115 stacks, or the 810s behind it.

Then I hear the sound they make when I`m on stage, and carry them both to the car at the same time after the gig, and remember exactly why I bought them - to fit my needs, not my eyesight.

I`d love an Ampeg fridge or stack, but I neither need one, or am able to cart one about, so it would purely be to feed my bass-players vanity (cos I do have some, honest :) ).
[/quote]

Hey Lozz; I agree with you about the portability, and play ability of the Markbass Combo/Cab you're using. That really is a Little Monster setup.
I'm not doing any road work any more, but I just like the sounds of the Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab, with the Markbass LM Tube 800 head. It's over kill for sure, but the power pushes the sounds so well. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RLD0Ajd.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rJjY70p.gif[/IMG]

I don't understand this topic either.... how can a rig be too big?

Also, the next time you gig outside, see if you can get a massive lead or wireless guitar, then wonder out in to the garden and behold as your awsome and loud rig at 10ft away dissapears in to a wet fart not much further away. To be low and loud outside needs massive ammounts of power.

I’m not sure why my original post seems to be causing confusion? I shall attempt to expand a bit…

My current Rig (of two 212s) is a bit difficult to get around (hard to fit in cars etc.) it is also 1200watt which is VERY loud. So by “Rig to Big” I am inferring that my current setup is both larger and louder than I currently need (not playing enormous outdoor gigs anytime soon) I acquired it at a very good price in the recent Genz Benz deals featuring at several major bass gear retailers. However it really is too “big” for my requirements, hence the thread title.

Despite the apparent difficulty, those who have managed to see through the impenetrable fog of confusion and made suggestions of swapping one of my 212s for a 112 or even going down to two 112s, I appreciated your input and it has has given me much food for thought… which was the point of the thread in the first place.

I shall attempt to be clearer in future and not post threads with light-hearted simplified titles.