Why become a member? ×

Bass-having Shops in the North?

thisnameistaken

I live in York and I'm thinking about getting a decent 5-string. Options I'm considering so far are a BB1025x, a Jazz deluxe V or a Sandberg VM or TM5. But where can I go to actually play them?

There's a PMT in Leeds, which may or may not have a Yamaha in stock but won't have the Fender or any Sandbergs. And that's all I can think of.

Any other places I could visit?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393268306' post='2378063']
I don't like Jazzes with no pickguards though. I know some people think cosmetic stuff doesn't matter but I'm the one who's got to wear it.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, I've added a pickguard to mine, standard Jazz size for my 4 string Squier, just had to do a little filing for the pickup aperture. For my fairly small hands the extra fraction of an inch feels more comfortable for slapping (whereas many others remove the pickguard for exactly the same reason). Good luck with the quest anyway!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393268306' post='2378063']
I know some people think cosmetic stuff doesn't matter but I'm the one who's got to wear it.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Don't make the same mistake with your new bass that I made with Mrs Dingus.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393271500' post='2378138']
Remember to close your browser when you're done! :D
[/quote]

It's O.K ,she's out at the gym all evening. She has got a big sumo wrestling tournament coming up next month and she needs to be properly prepared for her bout .

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1393346063' post='2379052']
I live a 30 min walk from PMT Leeds and don't consider it worth the walk there... definitely wouldn't bother coming all the way from York.
[/quote]

Once they had a AVRI P in aged white, it was a lovely thing...at £1700 though! It's all a bit bog standard though

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393347264' post='2379080']

I did consider going down to Electro but according to their website they've only got three 5-strings in at the moment. :(
[/quote]

Gear4Music? They aren't just a warehouse so you can try stock from the warehouse in the showroom if you ask to have it sent across. Just check on the web to see if they have the Fender and Yamaha in stock and go try them!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1393268558' post='2378066']
Manchester Bass Lounge is easy to find and surprisingly well stocked for an independent place! Drew is a good guy too :)
[/quote]

This, Drew is a true gent and will give you all the time you need. And they are now a Sandberg dealer so you might be in luck. Check out their website, they carry a great range of basses and fortunately, don't have credit yet.... Me thinks I would have walked out with full hands if they did!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393269446' post='2378096']
Shame you have to book an appointment. They do have a Sandberg 5 though.
[/quote]

Another fan of MBL. I like the appointment system; Drew will accommodate odd times and you are guaranteed to have his undivided attention rather than him looking over your shoulder to see who else may have walked in.