Why become a member? ×

Battered half to death with a rhythm stick!

SpaceChick

Learning "Hit my with your rhythm stick". I don't so much feel hit by it as beaten half to death!

Norman Watt-Roy is an evil genius bassist and Jon my bass teacher obviously hates me ;)

BPM of track 104, I can do 65 and am moving up to 85! Slowly but surely for this brilliant yet killer bassline!!

One day...... One day!

With playing so much Floyd, I'm really needing to work on tracks with speed, and you can't get better than this beauty!

Stick with it (no pun intended) you'll get there. I used to play this in a band I was in where the drummer would count it in at the right speed and then once I had started he'd increase the bpm by at at least 20! Then the singer would come in during the wrong part of the riff; we stopped doing it much to my relief and annoyance.

I always wondered what the reaction was from the rest of the band when he came up with that bassline. Did they think it was great first time around or did it take a while for them to appreciate it. Because it is incredibly busy and more like something Geddy Lee would have come up with that a bassist in a funky band. I love it and have learned it. But I fear I'll never get to play it, as none of the musicians I play with have a funky bone in their bodies.

It definitely separates the boys from the men (or in your case SpaceChick the girls from the women).

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1392580247' post='2370330']
I have a very good tab for this from Guitardist magazine that I could scan for you if you like space Chick
[/quote]

Thanks, but I have the dots..... I'm finding half the battle is deciding where best to play the notes for speedy movement! Lol!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1392581599' post='2370361']
I found the trick is not to think about it. You need to be pretty nimble but the sheer tempo of it carries you through. Lock in with your right hand (for right hand players!!!) and the left hand will fall into place.
[/quote]

Yep, my right hand is causing more of a problem than my left at the moment as my natural style is a Jamerson hook style!

I'm a great fan of Norman Watt-Roy and all of the Dury stuff and can play a version of Rhythm stick that passes muster just about if you don't listen too closely; sadly being of a certain age whenever I hear anything in F containing very tidy 16th notes and a great groove I always think of the dial marked 'varispeed' and wonder if it was played in E.
Old cynic that I am, sorry!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1392588130' post='2370472']
Have a look on youtube then, there are quite a few videos of him playing it live at that speed in F.
[/quote]Yep, after I typed it I did...right you are! Brilliant isn't he? How could I doubt him, I always preferred his tone in that early P bass phase and I guess that's what's on 'Rhythm stick'.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392571793' post='2370169']
I've tried playing it and it's too much for me, though I like to kid myself that I haven't persevered enough ;)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

I am not quite there yet , I mean the point of admitting its too much, I just need to persevere a touch more :P

ed , though if I was in a band that I thought would play it , it would get some serious attention.

Edited by lurksalot

I'm doing is at the mo , it's been chosen as the pen ultimate track for a wedding coming up . Using the amazing slow downer , 95% speed is comfortable , 100% and it loses feel at some point

As others having said , it's no problem until you start thinking about it. And it's always the right the ruins the timing , not the left for me.

There are some good points where the chords change where you skip a 16th , so I try to think of it in small chunks.

Great version of paul turner playing this on YouTube btw

Edited by lojo

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1392570288' post='2370152']
BPM of track 104, I can do 65 and am moving up to 85! Slowly but surely for this brilliant yet killer bassline!!
[/quote]

Well, that's the right approach, learn it at a slower tempo first, then build it up over time.
I'm sure you'll have it nailed sooner than you think :)

I find it easier on a 5 string (if you have one), less movement of the left-hand.
Not that I'm anywhere near being able to play it though, mind you.

Yes, it's one of those you need a bit of stamina and strength to get through.
That's one of the things that amazed me watching Norman up close just recently.. The strength and power he has to be on the go the whole time for close to a couple of hours. Not bad for 64,
He never seems to sit on the route notes for very long lol.
Even during the soundcheck he was non-stop doodling, like some kind of machine.

Yeah, it's a great bass line. It is an ongoing project/challange for me. Like others have said, I approach it at around 80-85 BPM and increase the tempo gradually. Sometimes I'll get close to nailing it, but so far.....no joy. :blush: Someday......!!

On the subject of good work outs for the left hand..... I can recommend "Bass Aerobics" by Jon Liebman.

IMO it is a lot better than the "Bass Fitness" book, in that the exercises are a lot more musical and longer.

They are played at a fairly fast tempo, so the same approach as "Rhythm Stick" is required for them.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Aerobics-Book-Jon-Liebman/dp/1423495632"]http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Aerobics-Book-Jon-Liebman/dp/1423495632[/url]

I managed to play a riff at full speed, the second riff was out .... Then I filed it to try again if and when I'm a better player :-D

I'm working on my speed too as I'm going out of my comfort zone in August with the Bimm Metal Hammer Summer School. Picked up a pick for the first time yesterday and I've been doing Omegaman by the Police and some ZZ Top :-)

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1392640755' post='2370888']
I managed to play a riff at full speed, the second riff was out .... Then I filed it to try again if and when I'm a better player :-D
[/quote]

No better way to make yourself a better player than to keep at it. Otherwise it will always be "if".. ;)