Why become a member? ×

Continued Mistakes at Gigs.....how would you address this problem?

thebigyin

Hello,
We're individully all experienced musicians.....but our Guitarist can't seem to play a full gig without making several mistakes......be it bum chords or forgetting song arrangement ect, upto now we've turned a blind eye but after a year together it's beggining to get a bit much.....would you bring it up? He's fully aware he's made the errors and thinks nothing of it, saying he's sorry but eh never mind.....bare in mind he's a very good friend but has quite a volatile temper lol.....at times his playing his very good but we've never got thro' a gig without some sort of Howler.

I agree with JTUK, the key is can you live with it? If not then you need to address it, temper or not. Maybe softly softly with the "feedback sandwich" i.e compliment, what you want to say, compliment to soften things. "You are such a great guitarist but you made a few mistakes again today. A shame as your style totally fits what we do"... or something like that.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1392138026' post='2365215']
As Myke asked. Do the punters notice?
[/quote]This is the big question. Band members are the ones who always notice and usually the perpetrator is the biggest critic of their own playing and does things to make sure it hopefully doesn't happen again. I'd been having a 'blind spot' on one song on and off so I made a big note on my set list and make sure I look at it every time it comes up. This should hopefully be enough for most players, however, if he doesn't really care then that's a different issue and a hard talk, temper or no temper, has to be had.

It's easier to fix mistakes of someone already in the band than it is to bring a new musician up to speed. If he's aware of the mistakes then it's worth trying to iron out the creases with the current johnny than finding a new one.

Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you don't get it wrong - there is a BIG difference. ;)

My question is how does he handle the mistake? Does he quickly get back on track or does he continue ploughing on with the wrong line? Is he listening to the rest of the band or is he following his memory of the original recording? Does he get his guitar lines from online tab? May be a case of slavishly learning a sequence not really understanding how the song bolts together...

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1392136994' post='2365193']
Hello,
We're individully all experienced musicians.....but our Guitarist can't seem to play a full gig without making several mistakes......be it bum chords or forgetting song arrangement ect, upto now we've turned a blind eye but after a year together it's beggining to get a bit much.....would you bring it up? He's fully aware he's made the errors and thinks nothing of it, saying he's sorry but eh never mind.....bare in mind he's a very good friend but has quite a volatile temper lol.....at times his playing his very good but we've never got thro' a gig without some sort of Howler.
[/quote]
I have seen Rush many times since the early 80's.....Alex Lifeson has made at least one howler on each occasion!

To err is human.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1392139685' post='2365243']
Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you don't get it wrong - there is a BIG difference. ;)
[/quote]

That's what I keep telling one of the bands I play in, but I'm the only one saying it. They want to rush into a studio to record stuff but we rarely manage a song without some small glitch. Not such a big deal in a gig because the moment passes very quickly or doesn't get noticed, but if we're aiming for a perfect recording for posterity then it could cost us a small fortunes in a studio at the moment. I think I'm fighting a losing battle and it probably won't end well . . . .

One word - acceptance. How many gigs have I played I wonder? Well over a thousand. In how many did I not make a mistake. Not a one. Happily, my experience has taught me how to deal with them and that's the best we can do. My band mates are the same - we carry on like nothing happened. Will the punters know ?? Well - they will if you react to your mistakes like you just saw a ghost. Otherwise they're never the sharpest tools in the box and probably won't know. Plus there's always the old trick of repeating the mistake on purpose in the next verse - that's jazzzzzzzzzz !

I don't think you can expect too much 'professionalism' from an amateur or semi-pro musician. Most of us have day jobs and can't devote untold hours to perfecting our input. There are standards to aspire to though and personally, I'd tell him he needs to pull his finger out a bit if his gaffs are that frequent or horrible.