Why become a member? ×

Any advice on a good 15 or 2x15 cab?

krispn

Thinking about shifting the 112 and getting a 115 or 2x15. What folks thoughts on suitable boxes of doom! Never play with the tweeters on and prefer that old vintage tone, I'm not a slap'n'pop player and I'm more about providing a low end/supporting tone for the band rather than being a flamboyant high mids sort of tone.

you can usually pick up a hartke 15 cab for around 100 the vx115 has paper cone and is very warm and also has a tweeter but you could disconnect - the 115 xl has no tweeter but has aluminum cone but still has a warm tone - have used both and thoroughly recommend plenty of bang for your buck with hartke

hartke also do 2x15's in both paper and ally cones if you want to keep your skinny string guitarists in check :D

I think I played a compact when one toured forum members a few years ago but was testing it against an Aguilar Db410 so my perception of it was maybe out of context. A BF 215 does look appealing as do the (I think out of production) Berg NV215 but they are pricey and don't come up very often!

I drive and have the space to transport a slightly bigger rig so lightweight is a bonus but not a necessity.

I think a dubster might be a little too treble shy but thats just a thought no had any experience playing one. I do need some top end :)

If you're not gigging next Saturday I'm playing in Finnegans.

It's not a 2x15" but the trouser flap of the 4x10" and clarity of the 15" allow me to sit in the mix and still cut through nicely. Although I am going through another Flea phase so I may well have the treble cranked and the action lowered by then.

I'm actually fighting the urge to buy a Status graphite neck to put on the precision but I think that's going to be on another bass a few months down the line.

I've played Finnegans loads over that last year or so. It's my old band cd you can see stuck to the wall behind the bar 😉

I'll swing by but for sure. I know the room and how it sounds. Great place to play!!

Edited by krispn

• 3 weeks later...