Why become a member? ×

After 8 years of searching....... (Yamaha 2024MX content)

Beedster

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394446657' post='2391301']
Without wishing to offend anybody involved, this thread is the perfect illustration of why I would never start a "finally I have found the one!" type of conversation on this forum :)

When are you all going to learn that GAS is EVIL.
[/quote]

No offence, although in my defence I did describe the Yammie as the perfect Precision Bass, which I still think it is. Pretty much my whole bass playing life - and despite flirtations elsewhere - I've seen myself as a Precision kinda guy. I now find myself in the situation in which, having owned and played what I believe to be the best Precision available, and having A-B'd it against my 4001, I'm guessing that whilst there are many things I don't like about Rics, I really do enjoy playing them, especially if I'm playing with a pic through Ampeg tubes bloody loud, nothing beats that tone, nothing!

There's no change of mind per se in this thread, I've spent 8 years trying to find the perfect Precision, I found it, but it still didn't tick some of the more emotional/less tangible boxes that a bass needs to tick for me. But like you say, with basses as with women, tread carefully with words such as 'perfect' :rolleyes:

This bass thing? One minute I understand it and the next I'm flummoxed.

In my head I have the perfect bass. It growls, it's articulate, it's smooth and bluesy, it's got attack and clarity and it's muddy and warm. It's functional, well made and finished and it looks kinda wonderful too.

I love Rics. I've owned 4 including a Chris Squire and a Macca model. I've tried and I've not got on with them tonally or ergonomically. A part of me still wants one (what's that about?). I don't/can't play with a pick and maybe thats partly the problem. I love the look and the tone when others play them.

The Yamaha BB2024MX that Chris traded with me is a superb bass. It's got Yamaha's wood treatments which really work in my opinion. The pickups are a marvel and as a P/J it really works. The only aesthetic thing I'm not keen on is the neck laminates running through the headstock but it's superbly well made and finished. It's all anyone 'should' want methinks.

I recently bought a 70's re-issue P bass entirely because it sounded so good. On a whim I put a Steve Harris pickup in (and moved the Bare Knuckle 65 into my Tony Butler sig) and I have to say that for a pure P bass sound it's the best I've ever heard. It isn't very flexible though, just pure P bass goodness in extremis.

For the nearest Ric tone my Gibson EB2014 in series/series/series mode is a good approximation but more ballsy. For growl my 90 Thumb NT takes some beating. For articulation and clarity plus great flexibility my ACG Finn Uber spec has it nailed. The Roscoe Beck IV I traded with Chris does so much and is playable in the extreme.

But, in a band situation that I'm likely to be in the bass will likely be fairly irrelevant, especially to the punters. Most if not all of my 12 basses would cut it.

So what's my point? What I'm trying to say is that one bass wouldn't keep me content for many reasons and the reasons I enjoy my basses has more to do with playing them sat at home as the mood takes me than in a 'real' gigging scenario. If I had to have just one bass to rule them all I'd really struggle.

Peter

I'm sure all this will be academic soon enough, because that BB2024MX is so beautiful ( and such a great bass) I am pretty certain it will be sold and making some new owner very happy in the near future. A bass like that won't be hanging round for long.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394447196' post='2391308']
No offence, although in my defence I did describe the Yammie as the perfect Precision Bass, which I still think it is. Pretty much my whole bass playing life - and despite flirtations elsewhere - I've seen myself as a Precision kinda guy. I now find myself in the situation in which, having owned and played what I believe to be the best Precision available, and having A-B'd it against my 4001, I'm guessing that whilst there are many things I don't like about Rics, I really do enjoy playing them, especially if I'm playing with a pic through Ampeg tubes bloody loud, nothing beats that tone, nothing!

There's no change of mind per se in this thread, I've spent 8 years trying to find the perfect Precision, I found it, but it still didn't tick some of the more emotional/less tangible boxes that a bass needs to tick for me. But like you say, with basses as with women, tread carefully with words such as 'perfect' :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Well done sir for being forthright and honest.

I know from experience that there is for me no perfect bass that will end all other bass purchases.

That said Yamaha have really nailed it with their latest BB basses, from the 424 all the way up the food chain to the 2024...they are fabulous instruments. I am a big fan of Yamaha. I own a nice example of the BB714...I wont ever sell it....maybe :)

Im sure you've thought this out, Chris but do you think you've given it long enough?

I'm four years in with my 2024x and that's the longest I've ever had a bass and I'm still getting to know its nuances. To reiterate what's already been said, t's a staggeringly good instrument in all ways and the MX version is that bit extra special. If I didn't already have so many of her sisters and a hankering for a new (additional) valve head, I'd have it. Actually, tbh it's a cheap wall hanging if you look at it that way...

No, really, time to shut up now...

I can appreciate this because I've had a little wobble with my Thumb bass recently. In fact if the right replacement had turned up in the last couple of weeks I might have sold it. I've had this Thumb for about ten years now (having lusting after one since about 1990) and done all sorts of gigs with it, but I'd decided I needed a 5 string and the Thumb was no good for my girly wrists and their rubbish tendons.

Turns out though my wrists can cope with the Thumb just fine it was other activities (mostly work) that were much bigger problems, which I've since fixed, and I've still not heard another bass that burps and purrs like the Thumb does, so I'm quite relieved that I didn't sell it!

I will still be adding a BB1025x, but not selling the Thumb. Unless I come across a '91 Thumb 5, maybe...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394461279' post='2391552']
I'm sure all this will be academic soon enough, [b]because that BB2024MX is so beautiful [/b]( and such a great bass) I am pretty certain it will be sold and making some new owner very happy in the near future. A bass like that won't be hanging round for long.
[/quote]

You're the chap who likes tortoiseshell PGs on black basses aren't you :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394494773' post='2392038']
You're the chap who likes tortoiseshell PGs on black basses aren't you :)
[/quote]

:ph34r: ...on Fender basses yes, on Yamaha basses [u]definitely[/u] not. Only a black plate would look right on these basses.

If you don't like the look of this Yamaha then there really is no hope for you, Nigel. The taste bypass would appear to be irreversible. :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394540414' post='2392382']
:ph34r: ...on Fender basses yes, on Yamaha basses [u]definitely[/u] not. Only a black plate would look right on these basses.

If you don't like the look of this Yamaha then there really is no hope for you, Nigel. The taste bypass would appear to be irreversible. :D
[/quote]

Until Chris posts a pic or two, I stand by my opinion that Yams are bloated and ugly, except perhaps the white ones, for some reason they look really nice. Just too big and bulky looking for me though :)

To me the 2024x is not beautiful - it's too masculine for that word; it's robust, well-proportioned and handsome. In my opinion, it is by far the best looking Yamaha bass on the market (although I also like BRX's white Yamaha).
I agree with Peter above though - the mahogany (or sapele?) stripes in the laminated neck are the only fly in the aesthetic ointment of what is otherwise a stylish and virile beast.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394554327' post='2392613']
Until Chris posts a pic or two, I stand by my opinion that Yams are bloated and ugly, except perhaps the white ones, for some reason they look really nice. Just too big and bulky looking for me though :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, you bloody aesthete Nige, you're like the Byron of Basschat! I will post pics when I get the chance, but you have to trust me that in the flesh it's a breathtaking instrument. It's been said elsewhere, but unlike a few other basses I've played that from a distance looked classy but didn't take close scrutiny (and I include more than one FCS models there), the Yammie looks pretty average from a distance but the closer you get the more you realise what a class instrument it is.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1394460958' post='2391546']

In my head I have the perfect bass. It growls, it's articulate, it's smooth and bluesy, it's got attack and clarity and it's muddy and warm. It's functional, well made and finished and it looks kinda wonderful too.

I love Rics. I've owned 4 including a Chris Squire and a Macca model. I've tried and I've not got on with them tonally or ergonomically. A part of me still wants one (what's that about?). I don't/can't play with a pick and maybe thats partly the problem. I love the look and the tone when others play them.

The Yamaha BB2024MX that Chris traded with me is a superb bass. It's got Yamaha's wood treatments which really work in my opinion. The pickups are a marvel and as a P/J it really works. The only aesthetic thing I'm not keen on is the neck laminates running through the headstock but it's superbly well made and finished. It's all anyone 'should' want methinks.

I recently bought a 70's re-issue P bass entirely because it sounded so good. On a whim I put a Steve Harris pickup in (and moved the Bare Knuckle 65 into my Tony Butler sig) and I have to say that for a pure P bass sound it's the best I've ever heard. It isn't very flexible though, just pure P bass goodness in extremis.

For the nearest Ric tone my Gibson EB2014 in series/series/series mode is a good approximation but more ballsy. For growl my 90 Thumb NT takes some beating. For articulation and clarity plus great flexibility my ACG Finn Uber spec has it nailed. The Roscoe Beck IV I traded with Chris does so much and is playable in the extreme.

But, in a band situation that I'm likely to be in the bass will likely be fairly irrelevant, especially to the punters. Most if not all of my 12 basses would cut it.

So what's my point? What I'm trying to say is that one bass wouldn't keep me content for many reasons and the reasons I enjoy my basses has more to do with playing them sat at home as the mood takes me than in a 'real' gigging scenario. If I had to have just one bass to rule them all I'd really struggle.

Peter
[/quote]

It's a complex thing playing basses ins't it mate!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394567777' post='2392884']
Ha ha, you bloody aesthete Nige, you're like the Byron of Basschat! I will post pics when I get the chance, but you have to trust me that in the flesh it's a breathtaking instrument. It's been said elsewhere, but unlike a few other basses I've played that from a distance looked classy but didn't take close scrutiny (and I include more than one FCS models there), the Yammie looks pretty average from a distance but the closer you get the more you realise what a class instrument it is.
[/quote]

:D I bet it is mate. I love their guitars, the SGs outclass Gibson on most counts. I know what you mean about close up. I've played SG2000s and when you've got your hands on one they just sweat class and craftsmanship from every pore.

Seriously, congratulations on getting your dream bass.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1394554327' post='2392613']
[/quote]

I don't think bloated and ugly is fair really :) (note, these taken on iPhone in 3 minute gap between dealing with full scale assault on Daddy by daughters, several Peppa Pigs, a stripy dinosaur and what appears to be a snail with legs)

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2027_zpsa42fb56f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2027_zpsa42fb56f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2035_zps1d197d86.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2035_zps1d197d86.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2037_zps6d2f76b7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2037_zps6d2f76b7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2045_zps983cacde.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2045_zps983cacde.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2033_zps0f3827c2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2033_zps0f3827c2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2038_zpsa847ce97.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2038_zpsa847ce97.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2023_zpse0ec6b9e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2023_zpse0ec6b9e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394568148' post='2392890']
I personally think that Yamaha have created the ultimate (mass produced) P bass with the latest BB series.
[/quote]

I think this bass challenges the whole concept of 'mass produced' to be honest

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394877298' post='2396154']
I don't think bloated and ugly is fair really :) (note, these taken on iPhone in 3 minute gap between dealing with full scale assault on Daddy by daughters, several Peppa Pigs, a stripy dinosaur and what appears to be a snail with legs)

[/quote]

I notice you have taken the photos at various angles to make it appear less bloated :P

I also wonder if the slimming effect of such a large bass body on the wearer is why it seems popular with the more mature gentleman bassist :D

Seriously, Chris, it's lovely, the white ones are the best looking IMO. And your photos look really professional.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1394460958' post='2391546']

Peter
[/quote]

Jeez, that is just SO well put Peter!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1395116611' post='2398863']
I actually really like the laminate stripes through the headstock. Reminds me of a Rickenbacker in a way, funnily enough.
That bass is a beauty and Nige is right, they do really look good in white and I'm not usually too into white basses.
[/quote]

I have to say that it's really growing on me now that I've decided to keep it. Can't quite see the Ric angle - and to be honest it makes my 4001 look positively agricultural by comparison - but it does move it further away from the Fender-alike vibe.