Why become a member? ×

Squier Eva Gardner Signature

EssentialTension

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1390654575' post='2347952']
A sure sign of getting older for me is that 99% of signature models released are made for people I've never heard of.
[/quote]
That's usually my experience but I knew this one: Mars Volta, Pink, Moby and her father was Kim Gardner of The Birds, The Creation, and Ashton, Gardner & Dyke etc.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1390656486' post='2347986']
That's usually my experience but I knew this one: Mars Volta, Pink, Moby and her father was Kim Gardner of The Birds, The Creation, and Ashton, Gardner & Dyke etc.
[/quote]

Now Kim Gardner I have heard of! Ta for the info. :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390658851' post='2348016']
I would be most interested in this but the decals put me off. It's nice that she has a tattoo that means something to her and she wants it on her bass, but I don't want it on mine I'm afraid!
[/quote]
I don't think you'll be alone there. Too personal.

At first glane it looked good - prob as I have a huge crush on her. The ideal woman really, plays Fenders strung with Rotosounds into Ampegs :) .

But then the Jazz neck (fairly sure her 62 Precisions have regular P necks) and the black headstock/tattoo put me off. Still spose she has to have a sig bass that`s a bit different to all the other regular Precisions out there.

Got one on order for my 7 month old girls first bass many years down the line on account of her name also being Gardner :)

Silly reasoning but I love the look and feel and have been meaning to order her a bass for a while to go with the trumpet, recorder, violin, sax, recorder and cajon I already have stored :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390658851' post='2348016']
I would be most interested in this but the decals put me off. It's nice that she has a tattoo that means something to her and she wants it on her bass, but I don't want it on mine I'm afraid!
[/quote]

Yes, quite.

I feel a bit sorry ( well , not really[i] that [/i]sorry) for all these celebrity bass players who end up with Squier signature models. If it were me I would demand that my signature model was Custom Shop, and preferably a Masterbuilt one, just to keep the riff raff away. Yes, I know these are more affordable, but that is exactly why I wouldn't want one. That bass in the video sounds perfectly good, though, and a Precision with a Jazz neck will be popular, no doubt.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1390679709' post='2348322']
Yes, quite.

I feel a bit sorry ( well , not really[i] that [/i]sorry) for all these celebrity bass players who end up with Squier signature models. If it were me I would demand that my signature model was Custom Shop, and preferably a Masterbuilt one, just to keep the riff raff away. Yes, I know these are more affordable, but that is exactly why I wouldn't want one. That bass in the video sounds perfectly good, though, and a Precision with a Jazz neck will be popular, no doubt.
[/quote]

I'm completely the opposite of this.

I would love to have an instrument that was accessible to all, I would want it to be a good instrument of course but would much rather a 'cheap' model than something so expensive fans of my music and god forbid my playing (:D) would not be able to buy it.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1390693539' post='2348452']

I'm completely the opposite of this.

I would love to have an instrument that was accessible to all, I would want it to be a good instrument of course but would much rather a 'cheap' model than something so expensive fans of my music and god forbid my playing (:D) would not be able to buy it.
[/quote]

This!

I would also argue that the best of the Squier range is now as good as or better than what comes out of Fender's Mexican plant.

The years when Squier was a dirty word have long since passed, in my eyes at least.

If it was my signature model I had been collaborating with Fender to create and it ended up as a Squier, I would go mental . Why does Pino get a Custom Shop model, Tony "used to be only very moderately famous for a short while in the mid-1980's "Franklin get a made in the USA bass, even Nate Mendel gets a made in Mexico effort, and yet I am in the bargain basement with a bass being assembled by former rubber plant farmers on an archipelago somewhere east of Java? That is what I would be asking them.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1390654575' post='2347952']
A sure sign of getting older for me is that 99% of signature models released are made for people I've never heard of.
[/quote]

She used to be married to Frank Sinatra I think...

Mickey Rooney was married to Frank Sinatra? :o

Nobody tells me anything! :(

BTW, tattoos aside (which I don't even like on people, let alone basses), I like the look of that bass - especially the matching headstock. It looks [i]classy[/i].

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1390832167' post='2349990']
If it was my signature model I had been collaborating with Fender to create and it ended up as a Squier, I would go mental . Why does Pino get a Custom Shop model, Tony "used to be only very moderately famous for a short while in the mid-1980's "Franklin get a made in the USA bass, even Nate Mendel gets a made in Mexico effort, and yet I am in the bargain basement with a bass being assembled by former rubber plant farmers on an archipelago somewhere east of Java? That is what I would be asking them.
[/quote]

Is there not something good about your signature model being affordable for young folk starting out? If I had a signature model, I'd want it to be as accessible as possible.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1390836523' post='2350072']
Is there not something good about your signature model being affordable for young folk starting out? If I had a signature model, I'd want it to be as accessible as possible.
[/quote]

Well, part of me agrees with you about making things accessible , but then again, none of my heroes had affordable basses when I was starting out, but I enjoyed aspiring to the unattainable, and then attained those unattainable basses by using the wits that God gave me.

Also, by making the bass a more expensive and exclusive model, it would lessen the chances of kids from underprivileged backgrounds buying one and ruining their lives like I have by trying to play music for a living , instead making that folly the prerogative of kids from more affluent middle class backgrounds who will be more able to cope with the disappointment and despair which will inevitably follow. :)

The irony here is that any signature bass I ever brought out would be based on my Indonesian Squier Standard jazz(redburst, with vintage fender pups, big wilkinson machine heads, threaded saddles, copper strip ground, tug bar and chrome pickup cover a la Marcus Miller). I've owned a tonne of basses since and none come close, it's even got a slimmer neck than my Geddy Lee! Imagine that- Fender making a sig that's based on a Squier...

...I can dream on I guess haha