Why become a member? ×

Squier Eva Gardner Signature

EssentialTension

I really like my Epiphone Jack Casady signature. Of course, it was made by folks who are looking over their shoulders wondering when the bombs are going to arrive from the north, but they seem to have done a fine job of it in spite of this drain on their attention spans ;)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1390832167' post='2349990']
If it was my signature model I had been collaborating with Fender to create and it ended up as a Squier, I would go mental . Why does Pino get a Custom Shop model, Tony "used to be only very moderately famous for a short while in the mid-1980's "Franklin get a made in the USA bass, even Nate Mendel gets a made in Mexico effort, and yet I am in the bargain basement with a bass being assembled by former rubber plant farmers on an archipelago somewhere east of Java? That is what I would be asking them.
[/quote]

I'm sure Fenders answer to your question would be "Who the f*** are you?" :D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1390838097' post='2350102']
I really like my Epiphone Jack Casady signature. Of course, it was made by folks who are looking over their shoulders wondering when the bombs are going to arrive from the north, but they seem to have done a fine job of it in spite of this drain on their attention spans ;)
[/quote]

Probably keeps them on their toes... :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1390838246' post='2350106']
I'm sure Fenders answer to your question would be "Who the f*** are you?" :D
[/quote]
My question to Fender is who the f*** is she? Yes, I know she plays with Pink etc and I have seen her face all over BGM over the last few years...but I would describe her as an average player.

I grew up aspiring to Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Stan clarke, Geddy Lee etc etc etc...seriously is there anyone on this forum that aspires to play like Eva Gardner?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1390842038' post='2350187']
I grew up aspiring to Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Stan clarke, Geddy Lee etc etc etc...seriously is there anyone on this forum that aspires to play like Eva Gardner?
[/quote]

I very much doubt if the average basschat member is in the demographic that Fender are aiming this bass at.

There are precious few female bass role models for young girls who might be thinking of taking up the instrument as it is; I think giving an affordable signature model to somebody like this who has a high profile gig with a very successful pop star is a pretty healthy thing to do for the instrument in general.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1390842038' post='2350187']
My question to Fender is who the f*** is she? Yes, I know she plays with Pink etc and I have seen her face all over BGM over the last few years...but I would describe her as an average player.

[/quote]
No, but I don't aspire to play like the rest of your list either.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1390847134' post='2350313']
You don't seem to grasp the thought process behind the selection of signature model recipients, at all. It isn't about skill
[/quote]
You make a fair point. In hindsight I can see the flaw in my logic on that post.

I would assert however that I believe that I do have a good grasp of the thought process behind Fender's (very clever) marketing strategy...so strong that they have in fact a complete stranglehold on the current bass guitar market. It's quite a turn around. I remember back in the day when nobody wanted Fender basses, they were unloved and they were "uncool".

I actually took a lengthy sabbatical from playing for a number of years (I missed the 90's) - when I did find my way back into it I remember how surprised I was when visiting music shops to find nothing but Fenders and Fender variants. There is an ongoing powerful placebo at work that has been carefully encouraged by what is essentially a VERY powerful business organisation with an extremely powerful marketing strategy.......

Everyone is playing Fenders...because everyone is playing Fenders. Some may laugh - but the reality is it's a mild form of brain washing.

Don't misunderstand me, I actually like a good Fender (poor QC..but there are good ones out there)...but I refuse to be a sheep.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1390849989' post='2350397']
Everyone is playing Fenders...because everyone is playing Fenders. Some may laugh - but the reality is it's a mild form of brain washing.
[/quote]

Certainly the reason I play one - after hearing Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnell etc I just wanted to have that sound. I tried getting it with so any other basses but none were ever quite there, finally got a Precision and that was it, sorted.

Don't misunderstand me, I actually like a good Fender (poor QC..but there are good ones out there)...but I refuse to be a sheep.
[/quote]

I don't see how playing a Fender makes you a sheep?

I've played and owned lots of basses (though there are still plenty on my "to try" list!). I currently own two Fenders because I like them - not because they are Fenders! For the same reasons that I didn't like my Spector and why I don't like any of the Rickenbackers I have played, or Gibsons.

But I love my Status - so maybe I am more like a llama than a sheep... :mellow:

You make a fair point. In hindsight I can see the flaw in my logic on that post.

I would assert however that I believe that I do have a good grasp of the thought process behind Fender's (very clever) marketing strategy...so strong that they have in fact a complete stranglehold on the current bass guitar market. It's quite a turn around. I remember back in the day when nobody wanted Fender basses, they were unloved and they were "uncool".

I actually took a lengthy sabbatical from playing for a number of years (I missed the 90's) - when I did find my way back into it I remember how surprised I was when visiting music shops to find nothing but Fenders and Fender variants. There is an ongoing powerful placebo at work that has been carefully encouraged by what is essentially a VERY powerful business organisation with an extremely powerful marketing strategy.......

[/quote]There's a lot of people who refuse to be sheep.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1391003661' post='2352135']
There's a lot of people who refuse to be sheep.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmkM4dtLYI

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1390656486' post='2347986']

That's usually my experience but I knew this one: Mars Volta, Pink, Moby and her father was Kim Gardner of The Birds, The Creation, and Ashton, Gardner & Dyke etc.
[/quote]

Hmm,I seem to be too old to have heard of Eva and too young to have heard of Kim. Who else am I missing out on?

Anyway, as you were.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1391020994' post='2352392']
Revisit my previous post....and [i]think about it..[/i]............
[/quote]
It's this bit that requires the most thought.
[quote][Fender] have in fact a complete stranglehold on the current bass guitar market.[/quote]
It's just completely untrue.

Fender would be wetting themselves at the very [i]thought[/i] that they might achieve even a 50% market share, and then that IPO could go ahead as planned. They are certainly the market leader in electric guitars/basses but there are many, many other brands successfully competing. Fender don't even claim they're the market leader in terms of volume, just in revenue. Just a quick look at peoples sigs on this forum would reveal that Fender are nowhere near having a stranglehold on the market.

Disliking a brand's apparent ubiquity is a good enough reason to buy something else though. :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1391030105' post='2352523']
Fender would be wetting themselves at the very [i]thought[/i] that they might achieve even a 50% market share, and then that IPO could go ahead as planned. They are certainly the market leader in electric guitars/basses but there are many, many other brands successfully competing. Fender don't even claim they're the market leader in terms of volume, just in revenue. Just a quick look at peoples sigs on this forum would reveal that Fender are nowhere near having a stranglehold on the market.

Disliking a brand's apparent ubiquity is a good enough reason to buy something else though. :)
[/quote]
It's really good that you don't agree with all of the things that I have said ...as I often say things to [i]stimulate thought[/i] on your part. You have made good observations!