Why become a member? ×

Buying New Basses

wishface

How do you know what's a good bass when buying from a shop? Specifically when spending a relatively low sum (~£200)

Shops want to make money (duh) and have a markup (unlike private sellers) and a company whose products they want to push on comission.

Low price instruments seem a waste of money frankly. I don't need a beginner tool, but i don't want to waste money on some polished up tat under the guise of 'budget bass'.

Thanks.

Even the Squier Affinity range are good basses. Yes the electrics etc are not comparable to their more expensive ranges but in terms of construction, quality and playability these, and most basses in the budget ranges, are perfectly fine.

Today's cheap basses are substantially better than than they were 10 or so years ago - most of them seem to be ok (they're not going to blow anyone away but they at least work how they should).

If you're going into a shop you can generally tell a bad bass from a good one at that price range; sharp edges, poor finishing, empty sound all stand out quite easily when you've got a little collection next to you to try out.

As stated above; Peavey make some great basses for that price range.

Firstly in a shop you get to try the bass. That solved your problem.

Secondly, so you don't need a budget bass. That's fine, but why do you have a beef against those who do?

And I'd suggest that not all cheap basses are "polished up tat"

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390217342' post='2342606']

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that. :)
[/quote] +1
If you have something against cheap instruments then don't buy one, but don't knock the choice of others.

If you want buying advice then that's fine, but tell us what you think you want in a bass. You can't beat trying out in a shop though. Then you can be the judge of a good bass, as others have said.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1390216764' post='2342599'] Firstly in a shop you get to try the bass. That solved your problem. Secondly, so you don't need a budget bass. That's fine, but why do you have a beef against those who do? And I'd suggest that not all cheap basses are "polished up tat" [/quote]

I don't have any such beef. I said nothing of the kind.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1390220274' post='2342659'] +1 If you have something against cheap instruments then don't buy one, but don't knock the choice of others. If you want buying advice then that's fine, but tell us what you think you want in a bass. You can't beat trying out in a shop though. Then you can be the judge of a good bass, as others have said. [/quote]

Most shops are staffed by people who either

won't give you the time of day if they don't think they can make a (significant) sale.

are interested in selling you what they want to sell, regardless of whether it's any good or suitable for you.

Of course trying stuff out is great, but again you can only try what they have and shops tend to be fronts for a particular brand, whether or not it's any good, and because they are shops you are likely worse off in terms of value for money.

Edited by wishface

A good, cheap bass is one you'll happily part with your money for - simple as that. It's up to you to make sure it meets your requirements.

There are a lot of cheap basses out there, and as Charic said (in so many words), you can get a lot of bass for not much money these days.

If you really are unsure, do a few checks:
Does the bass look generally well built?
Look down the neck - is it straight, with a very slight curve (aka relief)?
Look at the strings - are they reasonably close to the frets at the end nearest the pickup(s) (aka action)?
(Unplugged) Play every string, every fret - is there any buzzing?
(Plugged in) Does it sound good?
Does everything work?
Etc...

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1390212718' post='2342553']
How do you know what's a good bass when buying from a shop?
[/quote]

One looks for the same things as when buying privately. Playability, sound when plugged in - the sort of stuff detailed in Norris's post above. If you're uncertain about these things, take an experienced friend with you. In fact, even when one is experienced, it helps to bring along a second pair of ears and eyes :)

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1390212718' post='2342553']
Specifically when spending a relatively low sum (~£200)
[/quote]

To my mind £200 is some way above 'budget' though about £50 short of the 'excellent cheapies'. To me, 'budget' are those axes one sees on ebay for £79.99.

Some of these sub-£100 low-enders may be deficient in the manufacturing department - dodgy soldering, wonky bridge placement, cheap hardware. But as long as the neck lines up with the body they may provide an adequate platform for modifications and enhancement.

Really, it all comes down to one's confidence in one's ability to identify and / or rectify an instrument's shortcomings. If one is on a limited budget and just starting out it is probably best to grit one's teeth, find a sympathetic retailer and go the traditional route.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1390229110' post='2342843']
One of biggest turn off's must be dealing with people who come into a shop and firstly haven't got a clue what they're talking about and secondly are not willing to listen to advice.
If you follow my drift.
[/quote]Not really. Your response is childish and traduces what is actually a serious and legitimate question, but if you think it's ok to rip people off then you aren't worth my time. Thanks.

You're saying you don't need a 'beginner's tool' and you don't like the idea of buying a budget bass new from a shop; sounds like you'll be better off buying secondhand from on here. If you know what sort of bass you're after (eg. passive or active, 4 or 5 string, 1 or 2 pickups) and know a few manufacturer's names (eg. Yamaha, Cort, Peavey, Squier) then you just need to either ask for real world feedback from here or do a search online for reviews by owners... some basses come up consistently well thought of (eg. the Squier Vintage Modified range, the Squier Active Deluxe Jazz to name a few).

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1390246537' post='2343150']

That makes about as much sense as your original post. Thesaurus for Christmas by any chance?
[/quote]

I was trying to think of another word for thesaurus.

Anyway, to address the OP's question (I think):

Have a look at this if you are looking for some basic advice, but it's really down to playing it and deciding whether you like the feel and sound. If you are prepared to buy on eBay, you have less opportunity to test drive, but you may find a seller locally who is willing to let you try the bass before bidding.

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/bass-guitar-buying-guide/bass-guitar-buying-guide

Also, you haven't really given a great deal to go on for the wiser heads on the forum, but everyone's chipped in so far with some positive suggestions and I'd echo the comments on Peavey and particularly, Yamaha. I bought a cracking Yamaha bass off eBay the other January for £119, and the same model used on BC has gone for circa £300, so there are bargains out there to be had.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1390222636' post='2342711']

Of course trying stuff out is great, but again you can only try what they have and shops tend to be fronts for a particular brand, whether or not it's any good, and because they are shops you are likely worse off in terms of value for money.
[/quote]

Shops aren't 'fronts' for a certain brand 'whether or not it's any good'

When someone stocks their shop they are often given a minimum level for their account. So someone who wants to sell Yamaha basses for example might have to spend £10k a year with Yamaha in order for Yamaha to agree to open an account and supply instruments.

It is obviously more attractive to stock equipment from companies like fender, Yamaha and Warwick who make basses and amps than companies that only make basses.

£10k is just a figure I've plucked out of the air, I suspect it's a lot higher and different for each manufacturer.

In essence you can't go to fender and open an account and just ask for a red Jazz and a black P, then go to Ibanez and ask for an SR200 in blue.

It's part of a musicians rite of passage to buy sh*tty instruments and lose money on them. I think everyone on here has made some poor decisions and bought some right dogs whether from a shop, eBay or even on BC!

It's taken me a long time to figure out what it is that I like in an instrument; tone wise and construction wise. Along the way I've lost loads of money on dogs and replacement parts. I can safely say I will never buy a bad instrument ever again because I know what to look for.

You just need to dive in and get started. Buy something you like the look of and find out!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1390300008' post='2343643']
It's part of a musicians rite of passage to buy sh*tty instruments and lose money on them. I think everyone on here has made some poor decisions and bought some right dogs whether from a shop, eBay or even on BC!

It's taken me a long time to figure out what it is that I like in an instrument; tone wise and construction wise. Along the way I've lost loads of money on dogs and replacement parts. I can safely say I will never buy a bad instrument ever again because I know what to look for.

You just need to dive in and get started. Buy something you like the look of and find out!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Bought at least 35. Kept 11.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390298784' post='2343626']
Shops aren't 'fronts' for a certain brand 'whether or not it's any good'

When someone stocks their shop they are often given a minimum level for their account. So someone who wants to sell Yamaha basses for example might have to spend £10k a year with Yamaha in order for Yamaha to agree to open an account and supply instruments.

It is obviously more attractive to stock equipment from companies like fender, Yamaha and Warwick who make basses and amps than companies that only make basses.

£10k is just a figure I've plucked out of the air, I suspect it's a lot higher and different for each manufacturer.

In essence you can't go to fender and open an account and just ask for a red Jazz and a black P, then go to Ibanez and ask for an SR200 in blue.
[/quote]
This.
If a seller is encouraging you towards a Yamaha, for example it's probably more to do with wanting to place an order with Yamaha and they need to make the order big enough to meet Yam's minimum order value.
In any case, whether it's Yamaha, Fender/Squier or Ibanez, they're all good basses and you'll get value for money. The question of if it's right for you; that's something only you can answer.

And... if you don't like any of them don't buy any of them... simple.

And... Truckstop is right. Truckstop is always right....