Why become a member? ×

Buying New Basses

wishface

Im confused what this thread is about , but if it is indeed about budget basses being sold in shops, then my views are there are plenty of budget basses around that are perfectly good gigging basses , I had a VMJ , lovely player, you could pick fault with the pickups if you where being picky , but very picky you'd be.

Sorry if this was about bananas though.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1390305067' post='2343718']
Im confused what this thread is about , but if it is indeed about budget basses being sold in shops, then my views are there are plenty of budget basses around that are perfectly good gigging basses , I had a VMJ , lovely player, you could pick fault with the pickups if you where being picky , but very picky you'd be.

Sorry if this was about bananas though.
[/quote]

How can you tell the difference between sub £200 basses so that you get the most for your money and don't end up with a beginner bass.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390307606' post='2343761']
How can you tell the difference between sub £200 basses so that you get the most for your money and don't end up with a beginner bass.
[/quote]
Simple it has Yamaha, Squier, Ibanez or Vintage on the headstock. (OK I missed a few)

Successful brands are successful for a reason.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1390309163' post='2343791']

Simple it has Yamaha, Squier, Ibanez or Vintage on the headstock. (OK I missed a few)

Successful brands are successful for a reason.
[/quote]

I'm not sure it's that simple. How do you know which brands are good and which are just names.

Personally I would try as many basses as possible working up the range of each manufacturer until you can't tell the difference in quality between two basses in different price ranges. Then drop back down until you can't equate the step up in price with the step up in quality.

When I bought my last bass I got up to £3200 before I couldn't tell the difference. I dropped back down to £800 as I couldn't justify spending the difference. Ie the £800 did and felt what I thought it was worth to me.

Then I found a bass for £400 that was better quality than the £800.

Unfortunately you just have to learn these things. Some learn by buying and selling, I learned by just holding out until I was sure. About 7 years between deciding I needed a new bass and actually buying one. Currently 11 years on my present bass.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390307606' post='2343761']
[/quote]

Ask on basschat , it will only be opinions anyhow though

The reason for going to a shop is check out how you relate to the bass physically, since we're all different shapes and sizes. Ibanez's tend to have very slim necks, Fender P basses big chunky ones. Which is best for you? Well that's down to your hands and fingers. Hold them, fret strings and see what's comfortable. While you're there does the body suit you or does it dig in? Are there sharp edges on the bridge or pickups?

A lot of people here have bought basses purely on the basis of colour. For some it's white, other's have to have sparkly red, for some it's none so black. It's worth thinking about, it's down to personal taste. Me I like my basses earthy and woody but that's just me.

The good thing about the bass world is there aren't as many gear snobs as the guitar world so don't worry about having a 'beginner bass'. Look around at real basses and see which ones speak to you. Much better than endlessly scouring the net for obscure brands that might say they are cool but can't be got hold of.