Why become a member? ×

Mick Karn - Japan

TheGreek

I'm not that well versed on him but I'm sure I read somewhere that Karn just picked up the bass with no real previous musical knowledge or experience on other instruments and kind of invented his sound, his way of doing stuff [i]de novo. [/i]One to point out when the usual 'natural aptitude' type thread rears it's head for the umpteenth time.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1390238788' post='2343001']
I'm not that well versed on him but I'm sure I read somewhere that Karn just picked up the bass with no real previous musical knowledge or experience on other instruments and kind of invented his sound, his way of doing stuff [i]de novo. [/i]One to point out when the usual 'natural aptitude' type thread rears it's head for the umpteenth time.
[/quote]

I thought that he'd played an orchestral instrument such as a violin or viola. Which led to frustration when he played a fretted bass as didn't have the freedom that he had previously, leading him to choose a fretless bass.

I was a fan of Japan, mainly because of Mick, and I can recall watching the Oil on Canvas video (hehe, remember the days VHS?) when it was released around 1984. I was about 15 or 16 years old.

Now, when some of the contemporary virtuoso bassists shred you can still kinda get your head around what they're doing (variations of rapid slaps, taps, etc) but, 30 years later, I still have almost NO idea of what Mick was thinking about and doing on his bass. It was as if he didn't know how to play the instrument, lol. But play he most definitely could!

After a few years of torturing myself, bass in hand, sat next to the record player (Wikipedia it, kids) lifting the stylus on and off trying to nail bits of Mick's' lines I decided to leave it alone, preferring to just enjoy his music. In fact I'm going to listen to Oil on Canvas right now...and my bass is staying in its' case!

You played a big part in my childhood...RIP Mick, I miss you loads, mate.

One of so many amazing things about Karn was that he had a couple of manierisms in his bass-playing and that he was able to make endless combinations with these weird licks and slides. I rarely had the impression that he was repeating himself.. it remained unique and special.
Whenever I pick up a fretless bass I find myself playing things which find their influences in Karn's playing. He opened up new doors.
When you listen to Jaco you understand his roots in r 'n b playing but in the case of Karn I have no idea where his style is based upon.
It was suddenly there and it made him absolutely unique.

When I first heard him I thought he was playing a simplified version of Percy Jones' style (who was his main influence apparently) with a lot more vibrato and more extreme slides.

Loved the electronics approach in Japan - it went well with bass and drums. The overall sound of that band is what I like.

Here's a nice interview with Mick from back in the mid '80's which covers lots of different ground. He just comes across as a genuinely decent bloke.
For those who aren't aware the Chris Jisi book "The Fretless Bass" has a section on Mick in which he talks about his approach to the instrument, and it includes a short style study; interesting stuff.

http://theartofparties.livejournal.com/33157.html

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1390264888' post='2343480']
Just love this.Probably my favourite piece of bass playing period. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8tqR4-VeE[/media]
[/quote]

Crikey I remember watching this ! Just brilliant .. I loved She's Got Claws ( Gary Numan ) too , mainly for Mick's contribution . He was also the main reason for my liking Japan , superb stuff .

[quote name='mike 110' timestamp='1390498498' post='2346093']
Crikey I remember watching this ! Just brilliant .. I loved She's Got Claws ( Gary Numan ) too , mainly for Mick's contribution . He was also the main reason for my liking Japan , superb stuff .
[/quote]

Yeah Mr. Karn is such a cool cat. Here's the above in 480p.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14YmRABFFg[/media]

As a young buck, I was lucky enough to catch Japan at many London gigs...but let's not forget, while MK was a talent, they were all great musicians and it was a sum of all the parts. Let's think for a minute. Rock Garden, Lyceum (twice I think...first time it was about 1/3 full, second time it was rammed and the PA broke down), the Music Machine, The Venue, The Royal Opera House (with David Torn on guitar I think - this was the last time I saw them). Most of the early club gigs were poorly supported, but they were great, happy times for me musically. They were fresh and newish - I'd never heard anyone like them - they were a band that sat quiet unhappily next to my Kiss and Rush albums.

I revisit Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives fairly frequently, Quiet Life and Gentleman Take Polaroids less so and beyond that (Tin Drum/Oil On Canvas/Rain Tree Crow), not at all really (unless something comes up on the iPod in shuffle mode).