Why become a member? ×

70s

stef030

Let me get this right.

The 70s?

Was that the bit between the 60s and 80s when you went to gigs and parties that smelled of josticks and Lebanese Woodbines with a Party 4 (or Party 7 if you were flushed that night) tucked under your arm?

If it was then it's sadly just a faded memory now. :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1389649241' post='2336630']
The 70s just like every other decade was made up of lots of music you didn't like along with some that you did. Time generally makes us forget the less good bits.
[/quote]

There's some logic there but in music terms I still prefer the '70s to the '80s and the '60s. I think I'd rank the '70s and '90s about equal.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1389650790' post='2336663']
Vintage 1975 and veteran of 30+ Slade concerts and a few non-Slade ones.
Jumpers for goal-posts etc etc. :happy:

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Maddogcole/media/Scarf_lo_zps9d0326d5.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I had a Uriah Heep scarf exactly the same bought from the Free Trade Hall Manchester

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1389651220' post='2336670']
I had a Uriah Heep scarf exactly the same bought from the Free Trade Hall Manchester
[/quote]

I would have assumed Uriah Heep were too "cred" to have silk scarves - but it was the 70's after all. :)
The Free Trade Hall in '77 was the second Slade gig I wore that one at.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1389651420' post='2336673']
I would have assumed Uriah Heep were too "cred" to have silk scarves - but it was the 70's after all. :)
The Free Trade Hall in '77 was the second Slade gig I wore that one at.
[/quote]

Did you ever see Mick Box's silver platform shoes . :shok: ......all cred went out the window in the 70's mate ,think I went in my brothers 2 tone loons..

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1389651846' post='2336678']
Did you ever see Mick Box's silver platform shoes . :shok: ......all cred went out the window in the 70's mate ,think I went in my brothers 2 tone loons..
[/quote]

jeez, now you've got me remembering. A gig in Blackpool in '78 wearing green Oxford bags, Docs, blue & red rugby shirt - and an afghan waistcoat! :blink:

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1389653558' post='2336704']
I can still smell my Afghan coat from the 70's.....
[/quote]

Lol, I still have my afghan coats! :)
How times have changed - I was talking 70s fashion to a student recently (I work at a college) and mentioned afghan coats. The first response was 'were you in the army'? :(

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389649729' post='2336643']
There's some logic there but in music terms I still prefer the '70s to the '80s and the '60s. I think I'd rank the '70s and '90s about equal.
[/quote]

I'd have to go for a "split" decade - 1965 -1975. If I had to narrow it to 5 years, I'd go for 1968-1973. For me the early sixties are mostly dull "pop" groups in matching suits, and punk nullified the late 70's as far as I'm concerned. The good bit started when the drugs and long hair took hold, and ended when the talentless shouty oiks took over. Your mileage may, of course, vary. :)

Edited by Earbrass