Why become a member? ×

What rack compressor do you use?

Ant_On_Bass

I'm looking into getting a rack compressor and was just interested to know what you guys use or have used? I'd preferably like to get a rack one to keep everything in one place. I've been on the very informative ovnilab page but it seems the few that I'd like to get my hands on appear to be popular and discontinued :-)

dbx160A or X or XT are a classic. I´d stay away from the budget dbx compressors range like 166, 266, or even cheaper Behringer and Alesis stuff, though. If you want to enter studio territory (financially) then a Distressor, Urei/Universal Audio 1176 or LA3A, Purple Audio MC77 may be an option. Most of the time I record bass through an Urei LA2A which is a no-go in a live rig since it eats up 3U rackspace and costs 3500bucks.

I built myself a 2 channel 1176 clone and that sounds amazing for bass. Otherwise, the ART Dual Levelar (2-channel valve compressor/limiter) can be had for cheap and sounds surprisingly good for a very simple unit. Other rack units which people seem to like are the MXR Dual Limiter and the Symetrix 501.

I'm using a USA-made dbx 166A which I bought from eBay for £60. It's [i]well [/i]punchy.
You may have read it already, but here's Ovnilab's review:

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/dbx166a.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...s/dbx166a.shtml[/url]

Edited by discreet

Focusrite Compounder

Its not an 1176 or La2a but its a decent hike up from the cheap rack kit, and for a live rig certainly holds its own.

The limiter works well enough, so dfoes the gate, although I dont use it, the bass expander circuit is very cool though, lets you let some low end in around the compressor action which has its own sound and feel that I rather like.

Good for the money (I paid about £250 for mine IIRC)

• 2 weeks later...

Not a stand-alone compressor but part of the channel strip in my sig. The compressor has its its own input and output jacks so can be used independently. Decent compressor but as you can see, only slow/fast options for attack and release. These channel strips come up used for around £50.

[url="http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/dincz/media/P1000180_zpsb5e5aff2.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by dincz

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1390998542' post='2352049']
Is that catching peaks or crushing the utter nuts out of your signal?

Hell of a high ratio!
[/quote]

It would be if it wasn't nearly always bypassed :) I occasionally set it up as a peak limiter.

Edited by dincz

I have a Samson S-com plus, which is not specific for bass and therefore has a ton of other features that I might probably never use (like a de-esser!!) but it was such a bargain - it was used but in perfect condition - that I got it anyway.
And I must say it's not bad at all! And it has two channels, which is what I need.

I'm probably gonna get an R.N.C. sooner or later, because not only it's smaller, but it's definitely more straightforward (not to mention, better!)

Edited by arcureo

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1392289312' post='2366765']
I use a BBE BMax-T and use the compressor on that, although the expander ("sonic maximizer" in BBE speak) also works wonders, so the compressor is mainly for peak limiting. [b]What do you expect for a one-knob control on a compressor[/b]?!
[/quote]

Something that is never quite right for any application.....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1392301769' post='2366999']
Something that is never quite right for any application.....
[/quote]

Hmmm I have to disagree with that, based on using the "one-knob" compressor on both my PJB Bass Buddy and Briefcase. In my main gigging rig I'm spoiled as the SM1500 has a full feature (threshold, ratio, attack, release) four knob solution built-in, but before that, I used one side of an Alesis 3630 to good effect in my signal chain. I've also used the little Aphex pedal compressor too, which is great for trapping peaks, but won't do that big squish if that's what your after.