Why become a member? ×

Basschat spawns a new band!

Skol303

Ok, so I'm going AWOL and posting this outside my usual territory of the Recording forum… but I wanted to share with y'all the latest track by myself and Basschat comrade Mike Flynn (urb).

It's a beautiful, heart-warming tale. Mike and I met through the monthly composition competition here on Basschat. We decided to produce some music together and roped in the talents of some folks we'd each collaborated with previously - namely, Brooklyn-based rapper Donnie Ozone and trumpeter Andy Davies.

We put out our first track in 2013 and we now have another. We also have a name - [i]Stir Up a Hurricane[/i] - under which we're planning to release an EP, hopefully towards the end of this year.

I just wanted to shout about this here because amidst everything that gets discussed on Basschat, we are at our core a community of musicians. And sometimes things get to spark that would otherwise never do so without this forum. So yeah. Here's to that :drinks:

Anyway, enough blather. Here's a link to the track…

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226574-dark-matter-new-project-new-track/"]CLICKY HERE[/url]

[url="https://stirupahurricane.bandcamp.com/"][color=#b22222][b]NOW ALSO AVAILABLE ON BANDCAMP![/b][/color][/url]

…and thanks to Basschat for being the catalyst of this new project. This place rocks.

Edited by Skol303

Paul and Mike, that is WICKID! I love it, it's a great number. Love the trumpet. Donnie's ace - great lyrics, Mike, your bass has real personality, it sounds great man! Paul you are really blossoming as a producer. Lovely stuff, can't wait for the ep chaps!

Cheers for the kind words Nige! :) It was damn good fun to put together - and from my perspective, really good to be working with quality musicians/artists. Mike plays bass like a ninja and Donnie is just super-pro while also very laid back. Good to have some real live trumpets in there too.

More to come on this... I'll keep you posted mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389273991' post='2332177']You know what Paul, to engage with the Basschat membership you need your music to have a video. It must feature a buff chick and a kitteh. Otherwise no-one will listen.[/quote]

I know what you're saying mate! :D

A video is on the horizon... I'm playing the buff chick and Mike'n'Donnie are doing the Furry thing in kitten suits. We're going to get arrested, but it'll be great for publicity!

[i](Seriously though, we are planning a vid).[/i]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1389284000' post='2332359']

I know what you're saying mate! :D

A video is on the horizon... I'm playing the buff chick and Mike'n'Donnie are doing the Furry thing in kitten suits. We're going to get arrested, but it'll be great for publicity!

[i](Seriously though, we are planning a vid).[/i]
[/quote]
I was hoping Mike would be the buff chick! As we know, buff chick virtuoso bassists are da bomb on Basschat, or cross dressing orientals.

(Seriously though, I'm very disappointed you've had no other comments. Peeps should sling their headphones on instead of playing silly word games in Off Topic)

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389284864' post='2332375']

(Seriously though, I'm very disappointed you've had no other comments. Peeps should sling their headphones on instead of playing silly word games in Off Topic)
[/quote]

Careful Nige, there are a few more comments over in the recording section!

Great piece of work, I love the way it is made up of very distinct sections which all flow nicely into one another. Does it qualify for this month's competition?!

I think it is cool that things are going your way and I wish you the very best with this project I don't really know what to say about the track as it is not really a genre of music I know anything about but what I do know is that it is nicely put together and sounds right and I can tell there is a lot of musical talent within your "group"

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1389291632' post='2332497']
[b]Careful Nige, there are a few more comments over in the recording section![/b]

Great piece of work, I love the way it is made up of very distinct sections which all flow nicely into one another. Does it qualify for this month's competition?!
[/quote]

Yeah that's all cos of me! Seriously, you're right, I jumped the gun. However, in general terms what I said still has the cold ring of truth. People will talk all day about a music vid with Marta playing a Jamiroquai number, but barely give our own members' music the time of day :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389292322' post='2332514']
Yeah that's all cos of me! Seriously, you're right, I jumped the gun. However, in general terms what I said still has the cold ring of truth. People will talk all day about a music vid with Marta playing a Jamiroquai number, but barely give our own members' music the time of day :)
[/quote]

True, but huge credit to Paul, 56 votes cast for the December competition. The ghetto is starting to get attention :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389284864' post='2332375']...Peeps should sling their headphones on instead of playing silly word games in Off Topic...
[/quote]

Some peeps do both... :mellow:

Fish tank

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1389291632' post='2332497']Great piece of work, I love the way it is made up of very distinct sections which all flow nicely into one another. Does it qualify for this month's competition?![/quote]

Thanks Myke! Good to hear that it all fits together ok. Sadly it would be cheating to enter it into this months competition... :D Although we did manage to throw one together in a month last year (by not sleeping, etc).

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1389292045' post='2332509']I think it is cool that things are going your way and I wish you the very best with this project I don't really know what to say about the track as it is not really a genre of music I know anything about but what I do know is that it is nicely put together and sounds right and I can tell there is a lot of musical talent within your "group"[/quote]

Cheers for the kind words TB! Even more so given that's it not a genre you normally listen to. Appreciated.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1389293997' post='2332554']...56 votes cast for the December competition. The ghetto is starting to get attention[/quote]

Indeed it is! We're still outcasts down in the Rec forum, but our ranks are growing. Vive la revolution! ;)

PS: talking earlier of videos... Here's the latest from Donnie, our man in New York.

http://vimeo.com/m/83227639

NB: I don't think this Vimeo link will work on iPhones/Pads , so here it is again - just delete the initial underscore and it should work:

_http://vimeo.com/m/83227639

Edited by Skol303

Really cool. Well done. :)

I love the vocalist, very Native Tongues. I felt it got a bit beyond him when it went up-tempo though, it seemed like that was a rather indulgent section for the instrumentalists at the expense of the vocalist, which for me always seems a bit inconsiderate.

I can imagine it's difficult when you're collaborating over a network though, and considering that's what you did it's a great result.

I'm currently putting together a new band consisting of (so far) drums, bass and turntables, and we're starting out with demoing tracks for voices to contribute to rather than looking for full-time vocalists. It's inspiring to hear other people doing it. Thanks. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1389309548' post='2332829']
Really cool. Well done. :)

I love the vocalist, very Native Tongues. I felt it got a bit beyond him when it went up-tempo though, it seemed like that was a rather indulgent section for the instrumentalists at the expense of the vocalist, which for me always seems a bit inconsiderate.

I can imagine it's difficult when you're collaborating over a network though, and considering that's what you did it's a great result.

I'm currently putting together a new band consisting of (so far) drums, bass and turntables, and we're starting out with demoing tracks for voices to contribute to rather than looking for full-time vocalists. It's inspiring to hear other people doing it. Thanks. :)
[/quote]

Hey man

Thanks for the kind words I'm pleased you enjoyed it overall - I just wanted to chip in re your comments on the faster section at the end and it being a bit self indulgent for the instrumentalists - essentially I arranged the tune and after the breakdown in the Middle Donnie left a gap for 16 bars which was just crying out for something to fill it, something melodic - hence when I asked my mate Andy Davies to add the trumpet that spot just seemed the obvious one for a solo - which flows great and was the third take of three that we did for that. Personally I think Donnie's rap works great over the last bit - he even changes the tone of the lyric to match the music - I.e. When the key changes to minor the lyrical tack goes 'minor' as well - it's also a pretty dense track so definitely worth repeat listens - and for what it's worth the bass line I'm playing is the same part in both slow and fast sections which was actually recorded three years ago in a single take... so relatively little self indulgence in my part on this one.

I played the guitar on the tune and the synth bass parts on the end of the tune were actually played via my bass using an i2M instrument to midi converter by Sonnus which means they are played rather than programmed - anyway I'm pleases you enjoyed the track overall - it's always interesting to see how people perceive the creative process but doing this all remotely meant we had time to consider which way we wanted to take the tune at a much steadier pace than if we were putting this all together much more quickly in a single session - but rarely if ever did we make creative decisions based on our individual needs rather than actually thinking what the tune needs to move along as a listening experience - which from the comments I've read so far we seemed to have succeeded at.

Hopefully the next two or three tunes will be as compelling as this one - the next one that's almost done is completely different for a start!

Thanks again everyone for listening to it and checking it out - it's hugely satisfying to put this stuff together

Mike

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1389304088' post='2332744']Good stuff. Hate rap, but listened to most of it. Trumpets etc. were good.[/quote]
Thanks Ray! As I've said before, it's great that so many of you guys who don't normally listen to hip hop / drum'n'bass are giving this a listen and liking it. It's a real mixed bag of styles, so good to know you think it works. I'm a fan of the trumpets myself! Mike's mate Andy Davies did a great job with that.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1389304926' post='2332757']Great track. A multi-national collaboration spawn by Basschat. Wow. I love the production. Good luck guys. I hope to hear more in the future.[/quote]
Thanks Sam! Positive vibes very kindly received :) Glad it sounds ok. We'll update this thread in future as we put together more releases (we have another one nearly finished already - very different - but we might save it 'in the bank' until the EP itself is done).

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1389309151' post='2332823']If I heard it on the radio, the intriguing use of the trumpet alone would be enough for me to turn it up. Well done, "Oi'll give it foive" :)[/quote]
That's praise indeed! Thanks Steve. Really appreciate it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1389309548' post='2332829']
Really cool. Well done. :) I love the vocalist, very Native Tongues. I felt it got a bit beyond him when it went up-tempo though, it seemed like that was a rather indulgent section for the instrumentalists at the expense of the vocalist, which for me always seems a bit inconsiderate. I can imagine it's difficult when you're collaborating over a network though, and considering that's what you did it's a great result. I'm currently putting together a new band consisting of (so far) drums, bass and turntables, and we're starting out with demoing tracks for voices to contribute to rather than looking for full-time vocalists. It's inspiring to hear other people doing it. Thanks. :)[/quote]
Yeah, Donnie is great rapper! Really nice guy too - no pretensions or inflated ego going on with him. The second half of the track does get busy, but we hopefully left enough 'breathing space' for the vocal and instrumentation. Everyone got chance to add their parts and there's a lot going on beneath the surface of this track that I had to carefully position within the mix - including some muted tracks that never made the final cut! It's certainly a very 'busy' piece, but we're wortking on other material that it more sparse and 'spacious'. Anyway... keep us updated on this new outfit you're putting together yourself. Sounds great. This is what the Internet was made for :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1389354257' post='2333136']Nice track, not my sort of thing but I listened it all the way through. The only thing that's bugging me is the stereo effect that seems to be on the bass, it drew my attention away from the track in general I'm afraid :([/quote]
Cheers Rick! Yeah, the stereo bass track... ;) It is a bit different, innit! I wasn't sure whether to keep it panned slightly L/R or switch it to mono (as I would normally), but I decided on the former as I felt it gave the track an unusual sense of space - and also created room down the centre for other instrumentation, not to mention the kick and snares. The bassline actually pans back to mono during the DnB section, so it kind of moves as the track progresses. Not sure I'll use this method for every track we produce, but it was a useful experiment!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1389359796' post='2333259']
Nice work, fellas! Like the groove.
I'm a sucker for some jazzy hiphop. Not really big on jazz or hiphop but blend the two & I'm there!
Works for me, looking forward to your next tracks!
Cheers,
Norm[/quote]

Thanks Norm! We were aiming for a sort of 'old school' hip hop vibe. Hence no swearing or mention of hoes (I never [i]did[/i] understand what garden tools have to do with the hip hop sub-culture... and I probably never will). Cheers mate.

I did enjoy that, I generally don't comment but I do check out members band links, and songs that get posted but feel unqualified to comment beyond either I loved it or I didn't (and of course the later is only my taste) , anyway , I loved this track, listened only on iPad will put it through a good system over weekend

Keep it up