Why become a member? ×

New Year,New Beginings...

paulbass

Hi all, i'm currently in a rock band that can kick ass and we are getting a bit of a following. However my heart is playing funk music.
Only recently since reading a thread on here it has awoken my taste in wanting to play a bit of funky stuff.Its what i'm best at.
A drummer that i used to play with of which we have a great chemistry has contacted me wanting to start something and i'm thinking this is exciting and interesting. It does mean however finding other suitable band members that share the same vein of music...whoever they are would have a good rhythm section but its hard work forming this type of band.
Do i go for it or play safe and play in a band that i'm doing well in and see where it goes or do i follow my heart?
I dont fancy playing in 2 bands. I would rather focus on playing in one.
2014 has offered me a new begining or do i play it safe?

The future is out there waiting for you, nothing you can say or do will change that or change it. What will be will be. Now this may sound like I'm telling you you're doomed but I'm not, you may in fact become the next messiah, who knows. My point is enjoy what you're doing and let each band run their natural course and good luck. If you are meant to be in a funk/rock band then it will happen regardless of what you decide.

Be careful dude. Don't drop anything until you know the funk band is strong enough to take things forward I.e if you can't get a decent singer etc and you are left with just drums and bass. You will soon regret sacking a tight band that regularly gigs and has an established name to get more gigs easily.

Starting from scratch is difficult and things can burn out before really getting going. I would try and run both and then drop out of rock band if the funk is working.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1388540520' post='2323337']
Gig in the Rock band and develop the Funk band.

When it's ready it can take over.
[/quote]

This. Bands are fickle, keep gigging the rock band, once you have a solid line up who are working well together, then you can plan your exit. This will probably mean being in 2 bands for a little while, but you dont want to be sat on the sidelines waiting to find the suitable band member. Been there, done that.... Nearly sucked the life out of me.

[quote name='Rustyhornpipe' timestamp='1388576260' post='2323490']
Be careful dude. Don't drop anything until you know the funk band is strong enough to take things forward I.e if you can't get a decent singer etc and you are left with just drums and bass. You will soon regret sacking a tight band that regularly gigs and has an established name to get more gigs easily.

Starting from scratch is difficult and things can burn out before really getting going. I would try and run both and then drop out of rock band if the funk is working.
[/quote]

I totally agree with the above, I play in a good covers band, it keeps me gig ready and on my toes and I love doing it, I am also working on an original band which over the last year has produced some really exciting songs, but a year down the line we have gigged only once and are now only just about at the stage of having a full original set that is strong enough to take out.

We have had promoters chasing us to play off the strength of rehearsal recordings but we have held off until we feel ready to push it further which we will do this year, but it will still be a gradual build (unless we turn out to be the next U2!)

I know exactly where my heart lies but had I walked away from the covers band a year ago I would have gone stir crazy by now. Stay with the rock band and develop the funk band until such time you are happy the funk band needs your full commitment.

Happy new year

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1388580724' post='2323556']

I totally agree with the above, I play in a good covers band, it keeps me gig ready and on my toes and I love doing it, I am also working on an original band which over the last year has produced some really exciting songs, but a year down the line we have gigged only once and are now only just about at the stage of having a full original set that is strong enough to take out.

We have had promoters chasing us to play off the strength of rehearsal recordings but we have held off until we feel ready to push it further which we will do this year, but it will still be a gradual build (unless we turn out to be the next U2!)

I know exactly where my heart lies but had I walked away from the covers band a year ago I would have gone stir crazy by now. Stay with the rock band and develop the funk band until such time you are happy the funk band needs your full commitment.

Happy new year
[/quote]

This. I play in a rock covers band, on and off in a punk covers band (which is a hoot) and will be getting together with the guitarist of the first (who I was in an originals band 15 odd years ago) to wite some originals. Keeps me busy, playing loads, gigs from the first will bring in some much needed cash hopefully and help fund the last, which w hope to commit to tape at a studio involved with a guy in the second... If you follow that...

As said before by others, you should hedge your bets. Stick with what you have whilst starting something new. It'll involve extra work as you'll need remain committed to your current band in order to be fair but it'll be worth it if it prevents you having to risk having nothing. It'll also allow you to be patient whilst seeking other members for your new project. Best of luck.

Got to agree with the others, rock the rock band and when your new band is ready, get the funk out .................. do you see what I did there :ph34r: :D?

No harm in doing both until the time is right to quit.

Or as has been suggested, try to funk up the rock band, although that may alienate an established fan base if you're doing well.

Edited by Maude