Why become a member? ×

StingRay-lite

action_panzer

Eh up,

Some of you may be aware I play a StingRay and love it to death. However, I have quite small hands and the neck isnt that conducive to a more expressive style of play - if I want to lock in and just be a solid rhythm part then it fits the bill perfectly.

Is there anything out there with the same 'thump' of a StingRay with a narrow neck? I used to have a Jazz and that was nowhere near it, also have a cheap Squire Affinity P which is for messing around with, and it can sort of do thumpy but mostly just degenerates into downright boomy.

Definitely looking for that solid, whumpy SR tone.

Any ideas?

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1387324988' post='2310850']
If you like the tonal characteristics of a Stingray but want the slimmer neck then check out the EBMM Sterling.
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1387325108' post='2310852']
EB make a Ray with a narrower neck, it's called a SLO Special - they're not exactly common, but you can get them. The Sterling has a narrower neck, too.
[/quote]

+1

The Sterling can sound a little more brittle/aggressive than the Stingray, but they still make "that sound" and they have a more Jazz-a-like neck, or you could see about a custom order Ray with the SLO profile :)

Eude

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1387324301' post='2310839']
Eh up,

Some of you may be aware I play a StingRay and love it to death. However, I have quite small hands and the neck isnt that conducive to a more expressive style of play - if I want to lock in and just be a solid rhythm part then it fits the bill perfectly.

Is there anything out there with the same 'thump' of a StingRay with a narrow neck? I used to have a Jazz and that was nowhere near it, also have a cheap Squire Affinity P which is for messing around with, and it can sort of do thumpy but mostly just degenerates into downright boomy.

Definitely looking for that solid, whumpy SR tone.

Any ideas?
[/quote]

EBMM SUB Sterling. Same dimensions as a EBMM Sterling (with jazz like neck), but with Alnico humbucker and 3 band stingray preamp. Not many of them about though.

If you like the bass you have but aren't so keen on the bulky neck you could always take the bass to a decent local Luthier and get him to slim the neck down for you, this may effect resale value so might not the best option if you are going to sell it soon.

I loved the EBMM Sterling I had for a while but it was a bit too aggressive for my liking, I think they have brighter sounding ceramic pick-ups rather then more traditional Alnico ones.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1387389552' post='2311462']
If you like the bass you have but aren't so keen on the bulky neck you could always take the bass to a decent local Luthier and get him to slim the neck down for you, this may effect resale value so might not the best option if you are going to sell it soon.

I loved the EBMM Sterling I had for a while but it was a bit too aggressive for my liking, I think they have brighter sounding ceramic pick-ups rather then more traditional Alnico ones.
[/quote]

They do, they have a triple coiled ceramic pickup (one phantom coil for noiseless coil tap). They also have a three way switch. The SUB Sterlings on the other hand had what were essentially Stingray pickups and electronics.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1387473845' post='2312448']
Nowt wrong with a mm humbucker on a jazz ;)
[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/SNV80401_zps83a7e450.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80401_zps83a7e450.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

the joys of the self build :D
[/quote]

What a fantastic looking couple! :)

Edited by Willfunk

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1387383040' post='2311353']
the status neck sounds like a really interesting idea, but dont they alter the sound significantly?
[/quote]Opinions vary on this, some say graphite neck makes a bass sound clinical, others say not. I don't have one so can't say if it changes the tone or not. However, Status make their vintage range and it would seem strange if these were clinical sounding; I have played a Status headless though (S2?) and didn't think it sounded particularly different from a normal, active J type. Of course if the graphite did add any highs you weren't fond of these could be handled with judicious EQ.

The Sterling is another route and again any apparent aggressive nasties could be dealt with by EQ again, or by changing the electronics. A good friend of mine used a Sterling with a Seymour Duncan in it - sounded great.

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1387383040' post='2311353']
A humbucker? On a jazz? *head explodes* the status neck sounds like a really interesting idea, but dont they alter the sound significantly?
[/quote]
Yes, they do! You'll get another bass. Check out the G&L basses! (The US ones...) Good build at good prices.
[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp[/url]
I got a JB, a very fine bass. Their L- and M-series should suit you better...

I had a beautiful Sterling once that had Been fitted with an alnico Nordstrand that sounded amazing (well in the Back position, as it had been traded to me with dodgy wiring, I didn't notice at the time, as the one position sounded so good). A good route to go down :)

The newer Sterling by Musicman SUBs have got the narrower nut, as do the ray 34ca - but both are stingray style bodies.

The SbMM SUB I played last year was very impressive, and cheap enough to allow for a pickup/preamp upgrade if the sound isn't quite right. Still haven't talked myself out of it even though I've got an EBMM SUB now...