Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs

TRBboy

Hey guys,

So another option for downsizing my rig is to go for a Barefaced cab (either a Big Baby 2 if buying new, or possibly a used compact) with something like a GB Streamliner on top. It seems like this could be a great solution, and from what Alex had told me, a BB2 and decent head will create enough bottom end and volume for me (mainly pubs and clubs, occasionally a theatre/barn/large Hall/festival).

I'm just curious to know what people's experiences are of this type of setup, whether these little cabs can really cut it, and if I'm lucky maybe someone near hereford had one I could try out?!

Thanks for all of your help folks! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386621365' post='2302361']
OK... not wanting to be branded a 'fanboi', I will just say yes, these little cabs can really cut it. And then some.
[/quote]

+1

2 Midgets (2nd gen) are overkill for my gigs but they look so cool stacked up with their vintage cloth grilles and are so easy to move. if the shelf that they live on was wider then i'd have had a midget/compact setup or a pair of compacts, as it is if i ever get to a venue where i need more power then it would be a full PA job with 1000+ people so the midgets would only be for on stage monitoring anyway, which they excel at as well.

and i don't mind being a fanboi, i'm going to order a t-shirt so that i can advertise their awesomeness when i'm down the pub!

Edited by Matt P

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386622109' post='2302383']
Does anyone have any opinions about Compact vs Big Baby 2? The used prove of the compacts is appealing!
[/quote]
Depends on where you're coming from cab-wise whether the Compact will be right. There are a lot of people who like them and a lot more who don't, the lack of tweeter means it doesn't sit "right" for everyone.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1386623076' post='2302402']

Depends on where you're coming from cab-wise whether the Compact will be right. There are a lot of people who like them and a lot more who don't, the lack of tweeter means it doesn't sit "right" for everyone.
[/quote]

Well I've currently got a markbass CMD102P 2X10" combo with a Traveler 151P extension cab. This gives me a really full range sound, with plenty of bottom end, but loud of clarity, punch and definition too. I don't like using the combo on its own usually, because its just lacking the balls that I'm used to from running the 15" too. I love my sound, and I really can't fault the mark bass stuff at all, but it would be useful to have a slightly more compact rig (not that it's massive anyway!).

It sounds like a BB2 would be the better choice for me.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386623523' post='2302411']
Well I've currently got a markbass CMD102P 2X10" combo with a Traveler 151P extension cab. This gives me a really full range sound, with plenty of bottom end, but loud of clarity, punch and definition too. I don't like using the combo on its own usually, because its just lacking the balls that I'm used to from running the 15" too. I love my sound, and I really can't fault the mark bass stuff at all, but it would be useful to have a slightly more compact rig (not that it's massive anyway!).

It sounds like a BB2 would be the better choice for me.
[/quote]

If you're used to using tweeters the BB2 would better choice for you.

Hmmmm..... I just wish I could try one out! Despite the rave reviews, I still find it hard to believe that a single 12" could give me the sort of sound I'm used to! Although I really want to believe that it could so that I can have a smaller rig. I reckon a Shuttle 9.2 would drive a BB2 pretty well :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1386627461' post='2302480']

If you are ever in the vicinity of Swindon you are welcome to try out any part of my Streamliner/Barefaced rig.
[/quote]

Thanks very much dude! Unlikely to be around that way unfortunately though. How do you find that setup?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386627654' post='2302482']

Thanks very much dude! Unlikely to be around that way unfortunately though. How do you find that setup?
[/quote]
Very flexible, and never short of... anything!

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, it's like 3 rigs in 1:

Head + Midget = home practice, rehearsals, quiet/acoustic gigs
Head + Compact = larger gigs e.g. functions, C&W
Head + Compact + Midget = loud rock gigs

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386626211' post='2302467']
Hmmmm..... I just wish I could try one out! Despite the rave reviews, I still find it hard to believe that a single 12" could give me the sort of sound I'm used to! Although I really want to believe that it could so that I can have a smaller rig. I reckon a Shuttle 9.2 would drive a BB2 pretty well :D
[/quote]

I have that exact head/cab combo and it does.
Welcome to come over for a blast.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1386633413' post='2302612']

I have that exact head/cab combo and it does.
Welcome to come over for a blast.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer dude, but a bit far from me! :D

How's the rig then, is it loud, does it sound great?

It would be good if there were more videos and sound clips of the Barefaced stuff floating about.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386620640' post='2302341'] ....whether these little cabs can really cut it....[/quote]

The world of Metal/Rock bands might be slightly different but for the rest of us, the rules have changed. You don't need 15's for bass and you don't need big cabs for volume anymore.

The properly designed bass cabs around these days have changed all that.

I've been gigging with 2 Bergantino 112 cabs for more than 3 years. They replaced an Epifani 410 and before that a Mesa Boogie 115 and 210 and I'm playing as loud, these days, with my "mini" rig as I did with the bigger cabs.

Small, well designed cabs rule.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1386628126' post='2302503']
Very flexible, and never short of... anything!

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, it's like 3 rigs in 1:

Head + Midget = home practice, rehearsals, quiet/acoustic gigs
Head + Compact = larger gigs e.g. functions, C&W
Head + Compact + Midget = loud rock gigs
[/quote]

^^THIS^^

I have GB Streamliner or TC Classic 450 depending upon my whim and use the above setup for cabs. The only difference is that I usually use Compact + Midget for all my gigs - not because of volume issues but just because the sound you get is so full and balanced when using the two cabs together.

There are a couple of used Compacts for sale in the marketplace at the moment, so you could save yourself a lot of money by going down that route... then if (for whatever reason) you find it lacking you could sell it on for what you paid for it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222586-l325-another-price-drop-barefaced-compact-with-roqsolid-cover/page__p__2295059__hl__compact__fromsearch__1#entry2295059"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222586-l325-another-price-drop-barefaced-compact-with-roqsolid-cover/page__p__2295059__hl__compact__fromsearch__1#entry2295059[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223075-fs-barefaced-compact-later-model-metal-grille-l380/page__p__2295262__hl__compact__fromsearch__1#entry2295262"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223075-fs-barefaced-compact-later-model-metal-grille-l380/page__p__2295262__hl__compact__fromsearch__1#entry2295262[/url]

On the other hand, Alex offers a one month trial on new purchases - so if you don't like it you can return it.

I've not tried a BB, but I don't find the Compact lacking in top end at all, despite the lack of a tweeter. It depends on what you use and the sound you want of course!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386626211' post='2302467']
I still find it hard to believe that a single 12" could give me the sort of sound I'm used to! [/quote]
[quote name='largo' timestamp='1386674216' post='2302833']
I'm still dubious if 2 x 12" BF Compacts could do similar[/quote]

Bear in mind that it is only the new (Generation 3) Compacts that have a 12" speaker. All the older models were a fifteen. Not that the diameter of the speaker makes that much difference in itself...

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1386674216' post='2302833'] I'm still dubious if 2 x 12" BF Compacts could do similar. Call me old skool!
[/quote]
I can definitely feel the bass from my Super 12T [2x12" in the one box] - and I don't have to crank my GB Shuttle 9.2 past 12 o'clock to get my organs shaking - at 3 o'clock it feels like it could do some permanent damage. I suspect 2 x 12" compacts would feel much the same.

Nothing sounds like an 810. If that's what you need then that's good.

For those who don't want to carry a 180lb cab there are alternatives that sound equally good out front in the audience, which is where it counts.

For all it's great tone, the Ampeg 810 is the least heard (by audiences) cab. Every band I've seen using one has been Di'ed through the PA so the audience never hears the cab.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1386674216' post='2302833']
Is "loud" & "shifting air" the same thing? I just rehearsed with an Ampeg SVT 350 & 8x10 cab and that wasn't overly loud but I could feel the bass as well as hear it. I'm still dubious if 2 x 12" BF Compacts could do similar. Call me old skool!
[/quote]

A more direct replacement for that Ampeg rig would be the Barefaced 69er, preferably with a nice all-valve head sitting on it.