Why become a member? ×

Looking for loud, heavy, old school SS amp. Recommendations

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1386532215' post='2301173']
I know someone local to you who might be selling a Marshall DBS7400...
[/quote]
[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1386543227' post='2301379']
Tell me more please
[/quote]

You won`t be sorry if you pick one of these up Mark, immense sound-monsters.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1386515062' post='2300889']

I've heard the EBS amps have a distinctive 'voice' that one either 'gets' or doesn't.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say so, very transparent excellent frequency response, and power for days. Shep on here has some sort of EBS head and it'll do coloured vintage all the way to modern hi fi. Played with the EQ and gain and it felt a down sight louder than his old 1200w digital power amp with a similar EBS preamp. IIRC at least.

The 650watter for sale at 450 quid. I don't think you'll get much more quality ampage at that price secondhand.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386416975' post='2299836']
DB750. Best around, IMV. not entirely SS as it has a large valve pre stage but the back end power is THERE...
[/quote]

Yes, DB750!...It has such a big/powerful sound, nothing Ive tried has come even close and [size=4]I have tried many, many amps (EBS, GK, various Ampegs...), for me this is the one [/size] :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1386585946' post='2301676']
I wouldn't say so, very transparent excellent frequency response, and power for days. Shep on here has some sort of EBS head and it'll do coloured vintage all the way to modern hi fi. Played with the EQ and gain and it felt a down sight louder than his old 1200w digital power amp with a similar EBS preamp. IIRC at least.

The 650watter for sale at 450 quid. I don't think you'll get much more quality ampage at that price secondhand.
[/quote]

Shep's is a EBS Fafner I believe, absolute monster of an amp and versatile as hell. I only got rid of mine because I often take public transport to gigs so it wasn't exactly practical.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1386420735' post='2299913']
This Marshall DBS7200 (with cab) is a steal at £200

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223914-marshall-dbs-7200-amp-and-7015-cab/page__hl__dbs__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

I had the 7400 and it was a great amp, just too heavy for me.
[/quote]

I have the DBS7400 and I love it. "Only" 400 Watts (into 2 Ohm), but has a peak of 4000 Watts rather than a more typical 800 for 400W continuous, so sounds far louder than the 400 watts would suggest. My 'small' rig is this into an 8 ohm Vanderkley MNT112, and it's deafening. This beast can drive 4 of these !! and I can't imagine how loud that would be.

But ........ It does weigh a ton (and the fan can be noisy for practice purposes). Also, to me the difference between the solid state preamp and the valve pre-amp is not as dramatic as I'd like it, but that might just be a valve change required.

Edited by Count Bassy

Loud, heavy and old school? Lots of tone-shaping? Trace Elliot AH500, or even an old AH250. Mk V or earlier. They don't come up so often now, but are usually pretty cheap when they do...

If this one is still available it would be right up your street - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179717-vintage-one-owner-trace-elliot-rack-gp11-ra-500-2-x-250w-bi-amp-system-in-skb-6u-flightcase/page__p__1712034__hl__ah500__fromsearch__1#entry1712034"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179717-vintage-one-owner-trace-elliot-rack-gp11-ra-500-2-x-250w-bi-amp-system-in-skb-6u-flightcase/page__p__1712034__hl__ah500__fromsearch__1#entry1712034[/url]

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1386532514' post='2301178']

You should. The 1001-II I owned was an absolute beast in terms of sheer output. Kinda miss it, but I love the MBF.
[/quote]

This, all the way to the bank my friend! I love mine, master volume doesn't go past 9 o'clock... And we are pretty loud!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1386621936' post='2302381']
As mentioned earlier - Peavey Firebass, also Tour 700s can be picked up cheaply. Prefer my Tour 700s to the VBA 400 I owned.
[/quote]

Our vocalist used to be the bass player in the band. He still has his Firebass 700 and is bringing it to rehearsal on Thursday night

This fender fits the bill as well - depending on funds. Based on the old sunn following fender take over...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189481-fs-fender-tb-1200-amp-head-l550/page__fromsearch__1

I quite fancy giving it a go but funds don't allow presently. Also like the peavy stuff, and rocking an abm ii at the mo.

• 6 months later...