Why become a member? ×

Who is happy with their playing?

Lord Sausage

i think if your happy you havent learned enough, but i guess it depends on what you want. music is not all about woodshed i guess. my outlook seems to be endless frustration with great bits of enjoyment. the piano is really opening a whole new world, and it makes me understand the bass from a great new perspective.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1386416620' post='2299830']
Did a gig last night and could have kicked myself after. Wasn't feeling it at all, didn't feel like I was playing at full capacity. It definitely happens to everyone!
[/quote]Maybe it's my fault and this stupid thread got subliminally into your head! :blink: :unsure:

Edited by Lord Sausage

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. I'm 100% happy with my abillity. I can honestly say I've never struggled to play something I've had to play live. I'm always improving and my playing gets noticed at gigs (which is really nice). What I want though is to have full control over the sound output via effects etc. Being relatively new to effects i think I've still got a lot to learn and I've not beem overly happy about sounds and modulations. I've happy enough, but I've still got a lot to learn in that regard.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1386365130' post='2299465']

I'll be 40 next year and I've long since given up trying to be a musical athlete, but I work hard on understanding what I'm doing and trying to play interesting stuff that adds an extra dimension to a song without being too busy. I still can't take a compliment though, I'm not happy enough with my playing to take any comfort in someone else congratulating me for it.
[/quote]
Ditto,but I'm 44.
Long ago I realised that I was'nt nible-fingered,fleet of fingertips or able to concoct a flowing line at the drop of a hat.So I concentrated on playng what was fitting for the song with as few notes as possible.
So far so good!

Never happy, never will be. Even if people thought I was the second coming of Jaco I'd still think i was sh*t. Very seldom happy with anything to be honest; I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy. ;) Still, apparently Allan Holdsworth comes off stage and rips himself to shreds so that kind of puts things in perspective.

Depends how you look at it.

In terms of bass guitar technique I feel satisfied at the moment - my focus basswise over the last few years has mostly been on developing tone, effects, feel, the more abstract yet crucial aspects really. I use a pick most of the time now, for example, whereas three years ago it was always fingerstyle.

It's a fascinating learning cycle, as it really goes at its own pace, you have to learn by doing it in the real world, then perceiving the results. In many ways it is a lot slower than learning to shred, but deeper and more satisfying. I'm a far better bassist for it.

As far as the creating of basslines goes, one of the best things you can do IMHO is become more aware of other instruments.

Jennifer

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1386354854' post='2299289']
Me being happy with my playing isn't important.

It's what the other musicians think of it that matters.
[/quote]

I like what I do. I know my shortcomings but everyone has them. At a certain point it's just about making music.

[quote name='endorka' timestamp='1386907473' post='2306312']

As far as the creating of basslines goes, one of the best things you can do IMHO is become more aware of other instruments.

Jennifer
[/quote]

Got to agree with this, simple, common sense advice that is often overlooked.

Definitely feel better now I've started to play drums... my sense of timing is really *really* improving. It makes me really happy :)

I'd advise anyone to take up drums as a second instrument, it's fun, and it really helps your sense of 'pulse'... (hence me listening to more and more Meshuggah)

Depends.

I derive a huge amount of pleasure from playing music, whether on my own at home, in rehearsals, or in front of an audience. The other night I was sight reading on bass, playing along with the track, and I was 'in the zone' to the point where I was hardly thinking about what I was doing, just enjoying listening to the music that was happening.

As to being content with the standard of my playing, I am happy that there are plenty of situations where I can step in and play to a standard that will please the band-leader. But I am still striving to improve, and there are specific areas of dissatisfaction that I am working on.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1386964605' post='2307026']
Depends.

I derive a huge amount of pleasure from playing music, whether on my own at home, in rehearsals, or in front of an audience. The other night I was sight reading on bass, playing along with the track, and I was 'in the zone' to the point where I was hardly thinking about what I was doing, just enjoying listening to the music that was happening.

As to being content with the standard of my playing, I am happy that there are plenty of situations where I can step in and play to a standard that will please the band-leader. But I am still striving to improve, and there are specific areas of dissatisfaction that I am working on.
[/quote]
that's all that anyone should wish for. :)

I'm not at all happy with my playing at the moment. I've got quite lazy musically with my band taking all this time off, and been focusing on photography more than music, and my playing has really suffered from it. Time to get myself back up to scratch i think. I was even struggling with the groove for Valerie the other day, which was annoying.

Liam