Why become a member? ×

What to do when you got mardy neighbours?

Prime_BASS

I'm sure this must be a common problem for many players.

I live in a ground floor flat, in a converted terraced house. And there was a 'routine' inspection which went fine but we were out but the neighbours saw it fit to complain of someone playing loud guitar. We have been told to be considerate of the time of day and how loud it is, if indeed it is us.

Now it is me, obviously I have had the barefaced over a month and I like to think I've been courteous as I feel like I have barely had it on.
The other weekend though I went a bit mental, and played it all day Saturday(probably 11 till around 3 or 4 pm on and off) but not at any real volume, enough to hear it in the room but there was no way it as 'too loud'.

The next day I played it again same volume around dinner time but not long at all, and had turned it off. I answer a knock at the door a couple moments after I settle, and get told to 'turn that racket down, had to listen to it all day. If it continues I will have to complain to the landlord'
Not very friendly but I agree its not nice listening to something you don't want to listen to. Because me and the girlfriend have to listen to his bellowing snoring every night while we try to sleep.

Now these people upstairs as far as I can tell never go out for any considerable length of time or on a regular basis so I feel like im now a musical prisoner. I have this monster I have to look at in a cage and maybe poke my hand in through the bars once in a blue moon in fear the neighbours will have another mardy.

How should I proceed with - emailing our lettings agency back, the neighbours and satisfying the bass rage??

I have looked a little into sound and noise regulations and as far as I can tell I am breaking no rules. I am unsure however if this conversion on the building meets the regulations and standards that I have read on the web. The neighbours stairs(to get to their flat) is directly above our basement stairs and there is little to no separation between them, when I'm down there I can very loudly hear them up and down the stairs, and sometimes if they are loud enough I can hear them in the living room and bedroom of our flat.

I'm so frustrated.

I have a friend with the same problem.

My advice is to say or better write to them simply - "I will be practicing my music on my bass guitar and you can either give me 2 times per week that I can practice for an hour or two, or if you don't I will let you know that I will be doing it at time X and time Y although this will not be before 9.30am or after 9.00 pm. I will promise not to play outside of these times without letting you know in advance when and how long I will be playing for. I also promise not to play at excessive volume, though I may not be able to avoid some small amount of sound leakage."

This way they have to provide times which are more convenient for them or they will be given your practice schedule without any input on when is best.

Your job is then to stick to the times agreed, not have it too loud and if you do want to play outside those times, make sure they know or use headphones! Simples! B) Just bear in mind that bass travels much better than other instruments so is always likely to be heard further away than you might expect/want.

BTW I am not a lawyer so don't come running to me if it don't work! :)

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

Tough one , because however reasonable you are being in the eyes of other Basschat members , the reality is that if the complaints continue , regardless of what the letter of the law states, all the landlord will see is a young guy with an electric guitar and a big amp and that will automatically put you in the wrong . If you want a stress-free life and like living where you are now , I would recommend getting a Korg Pandora and some headphones . They are a lot of fun , and don't half help avoid these kind of situations.

turn down, cut the low end on the amp… it will sound crap but be good enough for practicing. Shut all the doors and windows and beware of volume creep….
Oh and what I do, if the cabs on the floor sit on the floor next to it right near your ear. Or I currently have it on our spare bed - decouples it from the floor, points at my ear and lots of soft stuff around to soak up too much BOOM!
You might just be finding out that your barefaced is a lot better at kicking out sound than whatever your old cab was!

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1383589170' post='2266302']
I have a friend with the same problem.

My advice is to say or better write to them simply - "I will be practicing my music on my bass guitar and you can either give me 2 times per week that I can practice for an hour or two, or if you don't I will let you know that I will be doing it at time X and time Y although this will not be before 9.30am or after 9.00 pm. I will promise not to play outside of these times without letting you know in advance when and how long I will be playing for. I also promise not to play at excessive volume, though I may not be able to avoid some small amount of sound leakage."

This way they have to provide times which are more convenient for them or they will be given your practice schedule without any input on when is best.

Your job is then to stick to the times agreed, not have it too loud and if you do want to play outside those times, make sure they know or use headphones! Simples! B) Just bear in mind that bass travels much better than other instruments so is always likely to be heard further away than you might expect/want.

BTW I am not a lawyer so don't come running to me if it don't work! :)
[/quote]

this is what I was going to do prior, but after the complaint which in my eyes is totally undue I don't feel like being that nice about it realy.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383589494' post='2266306']
Tough one , because however reasonable you are being in the eyes of other Basschat members , the reality is that if the complaints continue , regardless of what the letter of the law states, all the landlord will see is a young guy with an electric guitar and a big amp and that will automatically put you in the wrong . If you want a stress-free life and like living where you are now , I would recommend getting a Korg Pandora and some headphones . They are a lot of fun , and don't half help avoid these kind of situations.
[/quote]

I have been playing with a headphone amp for months before I got the cab, and many times while it's been here, I can count on one hand how many times I have had it on, on one hand, the rest of the time it's either been at rehearsals or through headphones, which lets all be honest is not the same as giving yourself tinnitus, or at least feeling it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1383590173' post='2266320']
turn down, cut the low end on the amp… it will sound crap but be good enough for practicing. Shut all the doors and windows and beware of volume creep….
Oh and what I do, if the cabs on the floor sit on the floor next to it right near your ear. Or I currently have it on our spare bed - decouples it from the floor, points at my ear and lots of soft stuff around to soak up too much BOOM!
You might just be finding out that your barefaced is a lot better at kicking out sound than whatever your old cab was!
[/quote]

I will try and take a picture of where it is and where I am etc, as I pretty much do this. The volume I've had it on doesn't have that much(if any) low end and I can barely hear it in the other room (wireless system) which why I am perplexed at them having heard it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383590927' post='2266341']
Record his snoring and play it back through your rig at 3am.
[/quote]

lol, its not that bad in honesty, but when its the dead of night and we are relaxing to go to sleep our selves, its undeniable. The sound of a snoring beer bellied oaf.

ok so i feel for you but honestly, you are in a no win situation. Your neighbour has the high ground in the eyes of the landlord and there will be absoloutely nothing you can do about it. Practice at home through headphones or a very small practice amp and save the noise for rehersals with the band, why do you need to use it at home anyway? I have a 700w amp, 1 x 15 and 4 x 10 sitting around at home but practice and learn material at home through a 15w practice amp and give it welly once a week at the village hall and every weekend at gigs? Your neighbours will just think Jaco is a din and probably love "Strictly"...gotta comprimise buddy, sorry....

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594135' post='2266406']
I know how I would feel if I was your neighbour :)

Sounds to me like you need to get out your room and get in a band.
[/quote][quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594135' post='2266406']

[/quote][quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594135' post='2266406']

[/quote]

Thanks for saying what i meant in basically one sentence!

As you may expect, I'm not able to say anything about culture and reasonable expectations in the UK.
But IME, in order to limit the amount of noise experienced on the other side of walls and floors, in addition to reducing the bass frequencies, the best thing is to augment your cone area, IOW to buy an extra Compact. Though it may well be that my experience is too limited, and this idea defies physics.

Me, I always use two cabs, one placed in ear height when I stand, and one in ear height when I sit (leaving just enough space between them for the amp to sit). I then play sitting/standing within one yard from them, them pointing directly at me.

When I check with the neighbours (my ex and my daughter), they'll always tell that they hardly heard me, and it wasn't annoying at all. Of course my ex isn't a grumpy stranger, and also she herself is guilty of playing a classical guitar every now and then (which I wisely do not criticise :) ).

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594135' post='2266406']

[/quote]

was this at me?

If so, I am in a band, we had a live thing at the weekend, and we have rehearsal this week and a gig the following Friday, which I have 6 tickets left for if any one is interested.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1383594280' post='2266412']
As you may expect, I'm not able to say anything about culture and reasonable expectations in the UK.
But IME, in order to limit the amount of noise experienced on the other side of walls and floors, in addition to reducing the bass frequencies, the best thing is to augment your cone area, IOW to buy an extra Compact. Though it may well be that my experience is too limited, and this idea defies physics.

Me, I always use two cabs, one placed in ear height when I stand, and one in ear height when I sit (leaving just enough space between them for the amp to sit). I then play sitting/standing within one yard from them, them pointing directly at me.

When I check with the neighbours (my ex and my daughter), they'll always tell that they hardly heard me, and it wasn't annoying at all. Of course my ex isn't a grumpy stranger, and also she herself is guilty of playing a classical guitar every now and then (which I wisely do not criticise :) ).
[/quote]

such scandinavian sensibleness! Wouldn't work here! :D

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383592547' post='2266376']

I will try and take a picture of where it is and where I am etc, as I pretty much do this. The volume I've had it on doesn't have that much(if any) low end and I can barely hear it in the other room (wireless system) which why I am perplexed at them having heard it.

[/quote]

so if the amp was in the other room… would they be able to hear it….?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1383594280' post='2266412']

[/quote]

I doubt that buying another cab will help much lol. I have the cab raised to roughly a 2 cab height as it is, and I play sat pretty much sat right next to it, less than 2 feet away.

And I realise that knob positions don't mean much but as an idea for volume, I have the gain set to just before clipping and and set clean, and then the master volume is 1 notch(the knobs have indentations) nothing, 2nd notch a light fizzle of noise and the the 3rd notch to get some more juice through it, and then that's it. The TV can still be heard over it, I can hear my girlfriend talk, I did some recording with my phone and I can hear the clanking rattle of the bass strings underneath the actual speakers noise. So I strongly believe its not loud at all. No boom, and like I said, in the other room (directly next to it) I can barely hear it, when they hoover it is louder.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383594406' post='2266414']
was this at me?

If so, I am in a band, we had a live thing at the weekend, and we have rehearsal this week and a gig the following Friday, which I have 6 tickets left for if any one is interested.
[/quote]

Yeah it was. I can't understand why you are frustrated in that case, you can blast your meat with a band in a rehearsal studio and on stage. Give your neighbours a break and practice unamplified or with headphones. It's desperately annoying having noisy neighbours. You should perhaps have diffused any potential for ill-feeling by talking to them beforehand, saying you're a musician and that sometimes, at reasonable hours and not for longer than 30 minutes, you may need to make a bit of noise, if it happens at a bad time, hammer on the floor and you'll stop.

It's not about rules, it's about basic consideration for others. Things can get very unreasonable very quickly with neighbours and some less articulate types think aggression is the best way to deal with situations. It never is. Try to talk calmly with them and apologise for disturbing them, mentioning the snoring may be a diplomatic nightmare if you aren't careful.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594951' post='2266424']

Yeah it was. I can't understand why you are frustrated in that case, you can blast your meat with a band in a rehearsal studio and on stage. Give your neighbours a break and practice unamplified or with headphones. It's desperately annoying having noisy neighbours. You should perhaps have diffused any potential for ill-feeling by talking to them beforehand, saying you're a musician and that sometimes, at reasonable hours and not for longer than 30 minutes, you may need to make a bit of noise, if it happens at a bad time, hammer on the floor and you'll stop.

It's not about rules, it's about basic consideration for others. Things can get very unreasonable very quickly with neighbours and some less articulate types think aggression is the best way to deal with situations. It never is. Try to talk calmly with them and apologise for disturbing them, mentioning the snoring may be a diplomatic nightmare if you aren't careful.
[/quote]

Very sensible.
Any houses going next door to you ?

Edited by blamelouis

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383594951' post='2266424']

[/quote]

The last part, the snoring. I am being considerate in the fact he(or she) may or may not be able to help the fact they snore, extremely, loudly. We've put up with it form the day we moved in.
I feel I've had the amp on 'loud' only a handful of times and the past 2 times(causing the complaint) for any considerable length of time. They couldn't bare it one weekend.

I'm not after getting into a complicated tit for tat arguement about it, I just want to know what I can do to help the situation.

I practice maybe 7 or 8 hours a day, but have the volume turned down I can hear it but I can't be heard in any other room.

If I'm practicing late at night after everyone had gone to bed, then I'm unamped.

It's a question of thoughtfulness, I don't wanna hear other peoples music or tv, I don't expect them to have to put up with me.

Just turn down dude.

You live in a flat.

I know this won't be popular, but you should be using headphones or a far smaller practice friendly rig.

Sorry. Bass travels as we all know, and if I was your neighbour I'd not be happy either.

I live in a detached house, and I am still very careful with the volume from my teaching studio, use electric drums, and never use my my rigs guitar or bass.

I'm a flat dweller myself. I use a headphone amp at home.

There is most likely a clause in your tenancy about "quiet enjoyment". If so you are in the wrong. Even if not, you are being inconsiderate and if your neighbours are complaining to your letting agent there's nothing to stop them serving a section 20 notice to get you out at the end of your assured period.