Why become a member? ×

Girlfriend wants me to buy a P bass.....

CamdenRob

Walked past wunjos on denmark street yesterday on the way to buy a reed from the sax shop with the missus... One of these was in the window...

Now I've never been a P bass man but I was informed by MrsCamdenRob that this was the "best looking bass she'd ever seen" and insisted that I stand and look at if for a while.... and then told me I should buy it.... Now I've got a couple of nice jazzes, a few coffee table jobs and a spector but apperantely this is what does it for my better half...

Fortunately wunjos was closed.... mental note to not go back to the sax shop on a weekday....

...after a bit of a dig it turns out this actually may have been a resprayed original 63 but anyway the look of it is the point here.

Edited by CamdenRob

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and then told me I should buy it." - Don't you remember the "how to sneak a new bass past your other half" thread?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Many of us would be envious of your situation.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]do it, worry about the consequences later.[/font][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383555747' post='2265682']
That is one beautiful bass. Sonic/mint/rosewood is pure class.
Tell your missus I'd be delighted to accompany her to the sax shop any day of the week. ;)
[/quote]

Your more than welcome although she seemed keen on the contra bass sax they had in the window.. which whilst being one of the most impressive musical instruments I have ever seen (standing at nearly 2 meters tall) at a tad over £20K it's a little out of my impulse buy price range....

The P bass was seriously attractive though... I've not seen the light blue colour like that before. I did mention maybe a maple neck but I was told that the "rosewood was already perfect"... maybe I'll suggest it as a christmas present :D

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1383555890' post='2265683']
Hang on , it's just occurred to me, are you sure she isn't feeling guilty about something?
[/quote]

That thought did cross my mind... :blink: although if she has done something wrong then she can buy me the P bass to make up for it, so it's not all bad...

Or you could go for option B: If you don't want it and she wants to assuage some guilt then she could buy it for me - she'll feel better for it, you won't have a bass that you don't really like and I'll be happy as Larry.

No? Worth a try!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1383556903' post='2265697']
That bass is a complete and total turnoff to me. Horrid.
[/quote]

Well ordinarily that would have been my reaction... I've always eschewed the faithful P bass...

But this one was different, it really was... I'm very tempted to at least go back and give it a go, having not played a P for many years after a bad initial experiance.

It really did look impressive in the flesh.

Edited by CamdenRob

I too have seen this bass, which I think was in another Denmark Street store and was moved by it! However Fender now make a 63 vintage reissue in this colour which is also appealing. I have avoided the temptation so far though!

Are you sure it's not just the colour which took her eye?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1383561385' post='2265759']
I too have seen this bass, which I think was in another Denmark Street store and was moved by it! However Fender now make a 63 vintage reissue in this colour which is also appealing. I have avoided the temptation so far though!

Are you sure it's not just the colour which took her eye?
[/quote]

After looking into it I'm a bit confused... Their website says its the refinished one, although the price tends to suggest its the 63 reissue (which is the image I've posted here) I don't remember enough about the headstock or how old the neck looked to confirm which it was... think it might require another visit... maybe I'll sweep by after work today.

It just looked to me like a very pleasing combination of colour and shape.

Now I've got serious GAS - thanks for that ;) I've seen the 2013 American Vintage 'faded sonic blue' 63 P & very very nice they are too :gas:

Now you mention it Kaz has told me she thinks the blue ones are 'pretty' - I'll have to work on that B)

There's some good pictures on Sweetwater's page [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBass63RFSBL"]http://www.sweetwate...il/PBass63RFSBL[/url] at £1787 here, as it's a new model - $1999 stateside doesn't make it worth importing :unsure:

Edit: I haven't seen the AV series serial numbers like that before, is it a new thing? Looks like they're starting with the year - V1316161
I assume :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1383563129' post='2265786']
There's some good pictures on Sweetwater's page [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBass63RFSBL"]http://www.sweetwate...il/PBass63RFSBL[/url] at £1787 here, as it's a new model - $1999 stateside doesn't make it worth importing :unsure:
[/quote]

I like it even more now after those pictures.... I think the one I saw was up for about that, which made me think it was one of these 63 reissues and not the resprayed one they had on their website.

Either way I shouldn't be considering buying it... I only bought a fretless last week...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1383564033' post='2265803']
Your gf has been kidnapped and you were on a date with a BC'er in disguise :P
[/quote]

That could be true :blink: ...It's also possible she left me ages ago for someone less interested in bass guitars.... and I've been imagining her ever since