Why become a member? ×

RH750........any good?

bassgurumonster

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383300173' post='2262723']
I owned the RH450 for a few years, then upgraded to the 750 and I still own it.

Here are a few myth busters on this amp:

- 1. The RH450 is louder than a Markbass 500W amp. You can CRANK the gain and master and it will not, repeat not, clip. The Markbass amps will simply clip and sound horrible once you push them past a certain point. At 1 o'clock on the master on a Markbass LM3, you are reaching its max volume. I'm also tempted to say it was louder than the Genz Shuttle 9.0 I tried.

- 2. There is an inbuilt HPF and LPF on the RH450. This means it will sound quite a lot like a modern version of an Ampeg SVT through a sealed 8x10. Eg, lots of low mid push, great for the mix. The RH450 does have slightly muted treble, but thats the sound of that amp. This was then changed in the RH750, which still has the HPF, but the treble is much more extended to sparkly and bright, and you can adjust it properly. As BOTH amps have a HPF, the bass is basically not as extended as some amps. Genz do a very similar thing.

- 3. They both have the relevant poweramp module, but the module is essentially 'limited'. This is difficult to explain. The TC website has a document on this. TC have a history of innovation, (Toneprint, Polytune) so to them, this is their interpretation of a warm 'tube like' clear bass amp, with everything you need in one package.

- 4. The 'featues' work properly. The tuner is great, the EQ is great, the presets are great, the form factor is great. The tone is fabulous, and the volume on both amps is nothing to ever worry about. At all.

- 5. The tone is basically a fairly warm/clear take on a vintage tone. The RH750 will get you into modern territory with the treble. TC wanted an amp that emulates a big tube amp pushed, and this will do that....it has the compression of the tube amp being pushed built into the sound. I've played a lot of the modern amps, and a fair few full tube amps, and this one does it very well.

It isn't for everyone, but then again what is? For example, the Aguilar TH500 has much more bass, very similar thick chewy mids, and again, muted highs, but you cannot dial those highs in on the TH500...whereas you can on the RH750.

To finish on the volume/wattage, the amusing thing is, when the RH450 came out, everyone raved and said they thought it sounded and pushed better than their Markbass 500W amps or Genz 600W amps.

This went on for some years. Then the amp got reviewed and TC's 'Bass Gear Mag rated wattage' came out, and everyone suddenly believed it would be a quiet amp.

This is in essence advice saying use your ears. It is loud, but tone is subjective.
[/quote]

Could I ask a question.

You say in point 2 that the amp sounds "quite a lot like a modern version of an Ampeg SVT through a sealed 8x10". Is that when you're putting the TC amp through a sealed 8x10 or a ported 8x10 (or something else)?

I'm not knocking the TC amps, as I've never owned one. I've heard mixed things about how they sound, with some folk loving them & other's not. Most users say that they're plenty loud enough too & they do look pretty cool with plenty of features.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1383225859' post='2261778']
Lots if power and great features, there is an inherent graininess to the sound that cannot be dialled out no matter what you do, even with tinstone switched off. Ok if you like that but it it no clean machine!
[/quote]

Indeed, despite the bumf claiming how versatile it is the reality is that the RH's are bit of a one trick ballsy rock/blues sound pony, I would say the basic sound is quite similar to an SVP-PRO (which I also own but dont use any more).

If you need a more neutral sound then something like the GB shuttles or markbass are a better bet.

Edited by bassman7755

Not had the RH750 but did have the Classic450 and was very impressed at the versatility of TC gear. If I were a session musician I`d probably have a TC rig as found it could cover so many different sounds.

Edited by Lozz196

I've got the RH750, it's a great head and I've never had so many compliments about the sound of an amp before from sound guys and audience. I don't find the amp to be overly limiting in its performance, it does do highs if you want them unlike the RH450, and it's not harsh sounding like a lot of modern amps, always found EBS bad for this. It doesn't sound too much like Ampeg stuff like a lot of people reckon it does, I've always found Ampeg amps to lack control when it comes to EQ and the EQ options on the 750 are seemingly limitless. It's got more of a low mid focus and doesn't do massive sub lows but to be honest that's the last thing I need saturating the stage when I'm playing with bands. I'd really recommend it.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1383302950' post='2262784']
Could I ask a question.

You say in point 2 that the amp sounds "quite a lot like a modern version of an Ampeg SVT through a sealed 8x10". Is that when you're putting the TC amp through a sealed 8x10 or a ported 8x10 (or something else)?

I'm not knocking the TC amps, as I've never owned one. I've heard mixed things about how they sound, with some folk loving them & other's not. Most users say that they're plenty loud enough too & they do look pretty cool with plenty of features.
[/quote]

To be honest, it's like that with most cabs I've played it through. The lows are tight, the emphasis in on the meat of the mids which is where you get you cut in the mix

It definitely DOESN'T sound nasally in mids, just present.

One more thing, the DI on this amp is stunning. Like, really really good! As is the headphone amp built in.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383418827' post='2264342']

To be honest, it's like that with most cabs I've played it through. The lows are tight, the emphasis in on the meat of the mids which is where you get you cut in the mix

It definitely DOESN'T sound nasally in mids, just present.

One more thing, the DI on this amp is stunning. Like, really really good! As is the headphone amp built in.
[/quote]

Totally agree about the DI, it is probably the best micro head DI that I have ever used

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383300206' post='2262724']

The modules are actually rated at 450/750 though.
[/quote]

They can print whatever numbers they like on them but past experience(not just the TC heads) shows that very rarely the rated watts and what it actually performs are two very different things.

I haven't had the RH450 so can't comment, but I had the 750, and while it is loud, clear and present every notch of volume felt as if it got more and more compressed. And compared to the 500 watt markbass head I was using straight after I sold the RH750, it felt just as loud if not louder, due to it being for more dynamic, especially around the lows.

The genz stuff now incorperates a similar power compression like the RH heads, some kind of power management to be more efficiantbor something I guess.

The RH750 at gigs and at gig volumes is something that I believe people should try as it's very different a regular class D amp,

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383475225' post='2264739']
The genz stuff now incorperates a similar power compression like the RH heads, some kind of power management to be more efficiantbor something I guess.
[/quote]

Yip... I'm not sure (m)any of the lightweight heads tote the wattage they say they do. They're 'as loud as..' because of the stuff going on under the hood.

Fair play to EBS for being honest about the Reidmar's specs.

This all goes to prove that 'tone' and amp recommendations are so very subjective.

FWIW I have a TC Classic 450 and am very pleased with it. I like the onboard compressor - I don't have it set high but like what it does. I particularly like the Tubetone, which can add warmth or grit without changing the volume level - it is an easy amp to gig with and change settings on the fly if necessary. For most small pub/club situations I play through a BF Compact and/or Midget and it has never proved wanting for volume. Anywhere bigger and you'd generally take a line out through the pa. For rehearsal even just the Classic 450 into BF Midget could hold its own with a very loud drummer and 2 x guitarists with amps going up to 11.

At some point I might get one of the RH models just to get the floorswitch and programmable pre-sets, which I would find useful.

I used to own an RH450 (with various cabs TC/Berg etc) and really liked it. I was considering going back down that route as part of a downscaling exercise, but the RH750 I just bought is sat here ready to go back to the shop on Monday. I don't know if I've just become so accustomed to the Puma 1000 or what, but I immediately missed the wide open, low end push that the Puma has.
Pity really as I think the feature set on the RH series is great - and for those that don't know TC also have some sort of Xmas deal on their website where you can get a free gigbag and RC4 foot controller if you buy a new RH450/750 at the moment.
I've now got a Puma 900 on order instead (not much downscaling but it does have headphone out and aux in that I need etc, which gets rid of my roland microcube) so I will see how that goes.

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1383480302' post='2264817']
and for those that don't know TC also have some sort of Xmas deal on their website where you can get a free gigbag and RC4 foot controller if you buy a new RH450/750 at the moment.
[/quote] Why did you have to post that ?... :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bassgurumonster' timestamp='1383467159' post='2264645']
Is it loud enough against a drummer using 1 cab tho ?
[/quote]

My 450 is certainly loud enough to keep up in a rock band with single BF compact, it would struggle with just a midget though.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383475225' post='2264739']
They can print whatever numbers they like on them but past experience(not just the TC heads) shows that very rarely the rated watts and what it actually performs are two very different things.

And compared to the 500 watt markbass head I was using straight after I sold the RH750, it felt just as loud if not louder, due to it being for more dynamic, especially around the lows.

The RH750 at gigs and at gig volumes is something that I believe people should try as it's very different a regular class D amp,
[/quote]
Ratings are always a strange one. The Markbass amps don't hit the 500W claimed (the LM3) so that's something to consider.

The Markbass may APPEAR louder because the taper on the Markbass master is one that allows most of your headroom between 0 and 1/2 o'clock...and then they clip. It's a common thing for a manufacturer to do...trick you into thinking you have another 5 or 6 notches of volume left. You don't. The Genz and TC heads let you turn ALL the way up in small increments.

The Markbass LM3 DOES have a wider low end, I agree, that is the nature of that amp. It depends what you want.

Ive rehearsed and gigged both the RH amps and the Markbass LM3. The RH450 sounded tighter and more defined and easier to control with the band. More mid push, better control of the EQ, etc. It was indeed louder or at least as loud as the LM3 rated 50W more. No contest with the RH750 and LM3.

Yes, there is compression there. It's part of the sound...like it or not.

The Genz Shuttle amps are much tighter in the lows and have a lot of complex power management which as a non-engineer, I don't need to know about. That's why I pay a company to make me an amp! Genz reacted and made the Streamliner with HUGE bass, and then everyone moaned it was too much. Both work if you use the EQ.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383489494' post='2264932']

Ratings are always a strange one. The Markbass amps don't hit the 500W claimed (the LM3) so that's something to consider.

The Markbass may APPEAR louder because the taper on the Markbass master is one that allows most of your headroom between 0 and 1/2 o'clock...and then they clip. It's a common thing for a manufacturer to do...trick you into thinking you have another 5 or 6 notches of volume left. You don't. The Genz and TC heads let you turn ALL the way up in small increments.

The Markbass LM3 DOES have a wider low end, I agree, that is the nature of that amp. It depends what you want.

Ive rehearsed and gigged both the RH amps and the Markbass LM3. The RH450 sounded tighter and more defined and easier to control with the band. More mid push, better control of the EQ, etc. It was indeed louder or at least as loud as the LM3 rated 50W more. No contest with the RH750 and LM3.

Yes, there is compression there. It's part of the sound...like it or not.

The Genz Shuttle amps are much tighter in the lows and have a lot of complex power management which as a non-engineer, I don't need to know about. That's why I pay a company to make me an amp! Genz reacted and made the Streamliner with HUGE bass, and then everyone moaned it was too much. Both work if you use the EQ.
[/quote]

Lmiii vs Rh750 is an unfair fight, my Lm800 would be fairer battle with that amp

I dont know what some people do with all their power? I run a shuttlemax 9.2 head into a 4ohm 2x12, stingray with bass boosted and plenty of erb notes yet I can easily run my shuttle 3.0 into that cab and play a gig with that as the only backline, in fact the bigger the venue the less power I have needed due to the bigger pa and monitoring.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bassgurumonster' timestamp='1386343627' post='2299068']
After trying one, ive ordered the rh750 and 2x12 cab. If i need another cab i notice there are a few on feebay. !!! Should be here monday.
[/quote]

Great setup! The same as myself.

I doubt you'll need another cab, it shifts an incredible amount. My volume is never past 10 o'clock otherwise people's ears would start to bleed!

Edited by risingson