Why become a member? ×

RH750........any good?

bassgurumonster

My local repair tech is extremely experienced and has seen every brand of amp on his bench at some stage. He even manufactures his own valve amps.
He is very complimentary of other brands particularly Ampeg and Trace from a repair point of view and Genz Benz for using good power modules.
However he advised me to steer clear of TC Electronic amps, so thats one brand I wouldnt go for.

I'm just back to using an RH450. The only reason I didn't go with the RH750, I didn't require the extra 300 watts. I did seriously consider the RH750 though. My Ampeg HSVT-410HLF cab roars with the RH450 powering it. The only reason I had to repurchase another RH450, I sold my last one to a friend that needed a replacement head for his band tour, last minute. The night before he was about to leave on tour, his Marshall MB450H fried on him. He raves about the RH450, and his a pretty particular player.

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1389221955' post='2331692']
My local repair tech is extremely experienced and has seen every brand of amp on his bench at some stage. He even manufactures his own valve amps.
He is very complimentary of other brands particularly Ampeg and Trace from a repair point of view and Genz Benz for using good power modules.
However he advised me to steer clear of TC Electronic amps, so thats one brand I wouldnt go for.
[/quote]
Did he say why? Just curious as I use an RH450. Mine's been 100% reliable so far, but it's always handy gaining knowledge from people in the know.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1389257236' post='2331881']
Did he say why? Just curious as I use an RH450. Mine's been 100% reliable so far, but it's always handy gaining knowledge from people in the know.
[/quote]

+1 on the curiosity here, though possibly it's the switched mode psu as an electronics guru friend one told me they are next to impossible to diagnose problems with,
but there shouldn't be a quality/reliability issue there as switched mode psus are the way PCs are powered. and therefore the internet, and therefore BassChat... :-)
Also maybe it more useful if ampliifier/cab reviews/advice stick to the nature of I play X bass style and it suits, or I play X capacity gigs and it suits, or personal (rather than anecdotal) reliabilty experience
and leave the debates about components or lack thereof to the electronics forums...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1389265602' post='2332003']
....To be fair, most amp techs dislike Class D micros....
[/quote]

+1

I only buy bass gear based on two criteria: it's reliability record and it's tone.

Whatever this amp tec says there are several Ampeg amps that no one in their right mind should buy because, while they might be easy to repair, they have a very high failure rate and let too many players down.

My amp tec hates the look of the insides of an SVT3 but says he's never seen a broken one. SVT2 and the SVT might be easy to work on but he had a shop full of them, from the hire companies, needing a service between tours.

99% of amps are built for ease of manufacture. They don't care about the repair guys when they make them so the reliability record in the real world is even more important. TC and the other D class maps seem to have a low score when it comes to breakdowns, so I don't care what they look like under the cover.

And finally, since the beginning I've not heard of a TC breaking down. Has anyone had a TC failure?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389269363' post='2332074']
And finally, since the beginning I've not heard of a TC breaking down. Has anyone had a TC failure?
[/quote]

Well mine has been great until you said that - now I daren't turn it on :-(

My local repair tech ... is very complimentary of other brands particularly Ampeg and Trace from a repair point of view and Genz Benz for using good power modules.
[/quote]

Presumably Ampeg & Trace are lovely and easy to service as they use discrete components, well spaced and easy to diagnose and access. Certainly my old Trace 1210 had a very easy to work out innards.

I'd love to hear more about why TC amps should be steered clear of, though. Along with others, the SMPSU would be the area most likely to fail, but then it's probably just a case of replacing the whole SMPSU. Depending on availability/cost of such parts, that could be an easy job - and possibly quicker than sourcing and replacing one or two large electrolytic caps in conventional PSUs.

Intrigued as to why GenzBenz were considered so much better than TC for servicability, mind... Although I'm sure I remember seeing an RH450 teardown feature that made it look like quite an effort to get inside? Google didn't help me other than [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207880-how-too-tc-rh450-replacing-the-memory-buttons-and-rotary-knobs-guide/"]this[/url] which is only a partial opening up.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383300173' post='2262723']
I owned the RH450 for a few years, then upgraded to the 750 and I still own it.

Here are a few myth busters on this amp:

- 1. The RH450 is louder than a Markbass 500W amp. You can CRANK the gain and master and it will not, repeat not, clip. The Markbass amps will simply clip and sound horrible once you push them past a certain point. At 1 o'clock on the master on a Markbass LM3, you are reaching its max volume. I'm also tempted to say it was louder than the Genz Shuttle 9.0 I tried.

- 2. There is an inbuilt HPF and LPF on the RH450. This means it will sound quite a lot like a modern version of an Ampeg SVT through a sealed 8x10. Eg, lots of low mid push, great for the mix. The RH450 does have slightly muted treble, but thats the sound of that amp. This was then changed in the RH750, which still has the HPF, but the treble is much more extended to sparkly and bright, and you can adjust it properly. As BOTH amps have a HPF, the bass is basically not as extended as some amps. Genz do a very similar thing.

- 3. They both have the relevant poweramp module, but the module is essentially 'limited'. This is difficult to explain. The TC website has a document on this. TC have a history of innovation, (Toneprint, Polytune) so to them, this is their interpretation of a warm 'tube like' clear bass amp, with everything you need in one package.

- 4. The 'featues' work properly. The tuner is great, the EQ is great, the presets are great, the form factor is great. The tone is fabulous, and the volume on both amps is nothing to ever worry about. At all.

- 5. The tone is basically a fairly warm/clear take on a vintage tone. The RH750 will get you into modern territory with the treble. TC wanted an amp that emulates a big tube amp pushed, and this will do that....it has the compression of the tube amp being pushed built into the sound. I've played a lot of the modern amps, and a fair few full tube amps, and this one does it very well.

It isn't for everyone, but then again what is? For example, the Aguilar TH500 has much more bass, very similar thick chewy mids, and again, muted highs, but you cannot dial those highs in on the TH500...whereas you can on the RH750.

To finish on the volume/wattage, the amusing thing is, when the RH450 came out, everyone raved and said they thought it sounded and pushed better than their Markbass 500W amps or Genz 600W amps.

This went on for some years. Then the amp got reviewed and TC's 'Bass Gear Mag rated wattage' came out, and everyone suddenly believed it would be a quiet amp.

This is in essence advice saying use your ears. It is loud, but tone is subjective.
[/quote]

good post!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389183418' post='2330948']
I find it a prime example as to how much watts relate to volume - very little.

It wouldn't stop me buying a TC head. THey certainly look cool. B)
[/quote]

indeed. I only sold my RH450 because I found after 5 years I wanted a different sound...
It was definitely loud, when paired to the appropriate cabs. Any issues with lack of volume must lie with the speakers. Issues with the tone/sound... well, each amp has its own. We don't all want the same tone.

[/quote]

did he say why?

without a reason, it's not more meaningful than a car repair guy telling you to stay away from white cars...

I bought an RH750 this morning, picking it up Saturday. I like the sound and features of my RH450, I just miss a bit of top end sizzle, and I also like the fact the Spectracomp is in the top layer so no need go into shift mode to access it. I think once my ABM500 comes back from being serviced, the RH450, ABM and Sansamp can all be sold, the 750 should be adequate for all my needs.