Why become a member? ×

RH750........any good?

bassgurumonster

Lots if power and great features, there is an inherent graininess to the sound that cannot be dialled out no matter what you do, even with tube tone switched off. Ok if you like that but it it no clean machine!

Edited by Iana

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1383249555' post='2262235']
I think it will do that quite well but don't expect any sub bass due to the high passing that is built in, nice amps.....
[/quote]

That's a good description. I can see when that tone would be ace - but I needed something thick and chewy. I don't need articulate :D

Definitely a 'try before you buy' head.

Some people really like TC heads but a lot of others really can't stand them. My personal experience of the RH450 and Staccato heads wasn't at all good :(

The RH450 was one of the worst 'tone-sucker' heads I've ever used at a gig!

I had a Staccato which I liked a lot. I sold it to buy the RH750, what a great amp. I sold it to buy my 750 watt Thunderfunk.

All my bands liked the TC sound I got. Unfortunately the TF trumped the lot.

I know nothing about TC cabs.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1383270246' post='2262514']
I had a Staccato which I liked a lot. I sold it to buy the RH750, what a great amp. I sold it to buy my 750 watt Thunderfunk.

All my bands liked the TC sound I got. Unfortunately the TF trumped the lot.

I know nothing about TC cabs.
[/quote]

I found the staccato to be a very fussy amp, the huge low end that was baked in to it just did not suit a lot of cabs, the only cabs that I could get it to sound decent with was the ML112 or the 112mnt, any cab with a warm voicing sounded muddy and boomy with that head. RH450 I never bought but found when demo'd to be lacking any sizzle due to the baked in lpf.
The concept of these amps are great I just find the execution to be a little disappointing!

Edited by Iana

Nice sound for personal use I guess but all too often at rehearsals and gigs I found the sound way to overly compressed, and more so as you turn up the volume, and I never found it to be that loud either and that was with a barefaced super12.

It has features for days though, which makes it a nice studio or practice amp.

I ended up going back to Markbass, with 500 watts it seemed a whole lot louder and more dynamic.

Well probably the lightest/loudest combination is a BF Compact (s/h around the £400/450 mark on here), and something like a MB500 head - prob around £300/350 on here. Also the Ampeg PF heads are darned good, the new PF800 will drive a compact with 400W (8ohms) which will be very loud indeed as it is a sensitive cab and capable of turning those watts into lots of spl.

I have used an RH450 and although it I enjoyed the tone and facilities, it seemed to run out of puff when pushed. It just didn't have the sheer 'grunt' I was expecting.

[quote name='bassgurumonster' timestamp='1383298297' post='2262666']
The main problem is that i need something with volume but easy to carry ( both amp and cab) due to a bad back!! Any other suggestions guys? Btw the new wattage is 750 w. Supposedly very loud!!
[/quote]

Have they changed things recently?

TC were using 'sounds like' wattage figures, rather than the 236w rms both the 450 and 750 actually put out.

I owned the RH450 for a few years, then upgraded to the 750 and I still own it.

Here are a few myth busters on this amp:

- 1. The RH450 is louder than a Markbass 500W amp. You can CRANK the gain and master and it will not, repeat not, clip. The Markbass amps will simply clip and sound horrible once you push them past a certain point. At 1 o'clock on the master on a Markbass LM3, you are reaching its max volume. I'm also tempted to say it was louder than the Genz Shuttle 9.0 I tried.

- 2. There is an inbuilt HPF and LPF on the RH450. This means it will sound quite a lot like a modern version of an Ampeg SVT through a sealed 8x10. Eg, lots of low mid push, great for the mix. The RH450 does have slightly muted treble, but thats the sound of that amp. This was then changed in the RH750, which still has the HPF, but the treble is much more extended to sparkly and bright, and you can adjust it properly. As BOTH amps have a HPF, the bass is basically not as extended as some amps. Genz do a very similar thing.

- 3. They both have the relevant poweramp module, but the module is essentially 'limited'. This is difficult to explain. The TC website has a document on this. TC have a history of innovation, (Toneprint, Polytune) so to them, this is their interpretation of a warm 'tube like' clear bass amp, with everything you need in one package.

- 4. The 'featues' work properly. The tuner is great, the EQ is great, the presets are great, the form factor is great. The tone is fabulous, and the volume on both amps is nothing to ever worry about. At all.

- 5. The tone is basically a fairly warm/clear take on a vintage tone. The RH750 will get you into modern territory with the treble. TC wanted an amp that emulates a big tube amp pushed, and this will do that....it has the compression of the tube amp being pushed built into the sound. I've played a lot of the modern amps, and a fair few full tube amps, and this one does it very well.

It isn't for everyone, but then again what is? For example, the Aguilar TH500 has much more bass, very similar thick chewy mids, and again, muted highs, but you cannot dial those highs in on the TH500...whereas you can on the RH750.

To finish on the volume/wattage, the amusing thing is, when the RH450 came out, everyone raved and said they thought it sounded and pushed better than their Markbass 500W amps or Genz 600W amps.

This went on for some years. Then the amp got reviewed and TC's 'Bass Gear Mag rated wattage' came out, and everyone suddenly believed it would be a quiet amp.

This is in essence advice saying use your ears. It is loud, but tone is subjective.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383301085' post='2262748']
[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/914735/tc_electronic_bass_amp_power_rating___active_power_management.pdf"]http://www.tcelectro..._management.pdf[/url]

FWIW, the RH450 sounded loud to me, but lacked substance. YMMV.
[/quote]
I believe that is exactly what I was trying to say: My 'grunt' = WOT's 'substance'

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383300206' post='2262724']

The modules are actually rated at the 450/750 though.
[/quote]
The whole TC wattage thing has been done to death, but I was just wondering if newer models had been modified in that respect.

As for volume and tone, it's the same as every other amp on the planet. You like the tone or you don't, and it's loud enough for you or it isn't. :)