Why become a member? ×

Never tried finger style...!!!

I have an embarrassing confession...

Probably due to me playing 6 string for 20 years, when I took up bass around 5 years ago I carried on using a pick. There are occassions when I need to be more flexible in which case I use a thumb and forefinger to pluck the strings at a faster rate or to produce a softer sound. All my muting is done with my fretting hand. Obviously, I see the traditional fingers style used predominantly when I'm watching other bands and bass players and would really like to know what it is I'm missing out on. I have tried a few simple tunes using finger style but it doesn't seem to suit....

What am I missing and should I make an effort to learn to play proper...? :)

There is a lot of snobbery about finger-style but frankly you should use whatever works IMHO - Jaco, Jamerson and Flea all play(ed) fingerstyle but noone ever accused McCartney or Chris Squire of not being 'proper' bass players. Top jazzer Steve Swallow was considered sacrilegious when he switched to pick.

Mind you I might be saying all this because I'm rubbish at finger-style :)

Thanks for the reassurance Clarky... I just thought maybe I was a bit rubbish...

I suppose there are quite a few "non-finger" legends out there but I wondered if it may be a useful skill to learn... Not that I need to make life any more difficult for myself... :)

BTW... let that guy know you wanted his PU guard... hopefully he'll stop by the forum and get in touch...

I've always had "itchy fingers" drumming on tables, fidgeting with stuff, so fingerstyle was always going to be my thing. This despite trying to learn from Yes' [i]90125[/i] album knowing that Chris plays with a pick exclusively.

I definitely recommend some Rush for a boost to your fingerstyle, especially the 79-81 period. On the more recent albums, Geddy has gotten heavily in to his weird [i]rasgueado[/i] technique, which would be a bit bemusing if you tried to copy it. (He has a very thick right middle finger nail, which he uses a bit like a heavy plectrum, the result of getting his finger slammed in a door as a kid!)

playing with fingers isn't 'proper' playing any more than playing with a plectrum is.

i tend to play with a plectrum at lot more than i do with fingers simply because i prefer the sound. i'm also a lot better at it.

that's not to say i don't play fingerstyle...

Depends on the sound you want to hear, and what feels comfortable. It would be a great way to improve your playing to learn a different technique. I have played fingerstyle all my career (emulating Geddy Lee at first no less!). When I got into Anthony Jackson about 12-13 years ago I was blown away by his pick playing, not only on "For the Love of Money" and the Al Di Meola album "Elegant Gypsy" but also the Chaka Khan albums around '78-'82. Why not find some definitive fingerstyle performances that inspire you (Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick for example) and take it from there? Different techniques make you think in different ways...

[quote name='The Legoheads' post='224504' date='Jun 22 2008, 09:59 PM']I have an embarrassing confession...

Probably due to me playing 6 string for 20 years, when I took up bass around 5 years ago I carried on using a pick. There are occassions when I need to be more flexible in which case I use a thumb and forefinger to pluck the strings at a faster rate or to produce a softer sound. All my muting is done with my fretting hand. Obviously, I see the traditional fingers style used predominantly when I'm watching other bands and bass players and would really like to know what it is I'm missing out on. I have tried a few simple tunes using finger style but it doesn't seem to suit....

What am I missing and should I make an effort to learn to play proper...? :)[/quote]

I play both and as other people have said it depends on what music you like to play, what sound you like , and what you are comfortable with, however

if you do not play "fingerstyle" you will be missing out on control, feel, the ability to slap and pop, easy volume control with your fingers alone, right hand damping, double harmonics, finger tapping.....and on and on....
When I play with a pick I never feel really connected with my bass, but a pick has its uses and I like a lot of pick wielding bassists but I would advise you learn to use your right fingers as it will open up so many new ways of approaching your music.

[quote name='eastwind' post='224641' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:11 AM']if you do not play "fingerstyle" you will be missing out on control, feel, the ability to slap and pop, easy volume control with your fingers alone, right hand damping, double harmonics, finger tapping.....and on and on....[/quote]

developing control, feel and volume control with a plectrum is just a matter of practise, as much as acquiring the same skills with fingers is.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='224659' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:41 AM']developing control, feel and volume control with a plectrum is just a matter of practise, as much as acquiring the same skills with fingers is.[/quote]

is it ? I thought it was just "clank clank clank clank" with a plectrum ? I jest ......mind you I've never seen Jaco play with a plectrum, that would of been interesting.

[quote name='eastwind' post='224641' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:11 AM']...When I play with a pick I never feel really connected with my bass, but a pick has its uses and I like a lot of pick wielding bassists but I would advise you learn to use your right fingers as it will open up so many new ways of approaching your music.[/quote]

+1. I never feel comfortable playing pick, although it makes it a hell of a lot easier playing 4 mins of straight semiquavers punk style (yawn) I much prefer to feel the strings under my right fingers.

and a big +1 to...
[quote name='jakesbass' post='224765' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:53 AM']...Definitely don't do any one thing because you think others will think badly of you if you don't.
f*** 'em.[/quote]

Give it a try. It'll give you annother sound to play with, and throwing in a song with fingers will stop your set sounding too "samey" even if all your songs are the same style.

[Edit] I read that last sentence twice and it still sounds vague. What I was trying to say was that when you're playing a set of songs in the same style then throwing one in played with the pick (in my case) can break up the set and stop it getting too monotonous to the ears of your audience. [End Edit].

Edited by SteveO

I used to play exclusively with a pick. I now play entirely with my fingers. I find don't lose or forget my fingers. And I don't have to pay 50p for them in the music shop. Or lend them to people and not get them back.

I can still play with a pick - but find fingers much easier. I would have been perfectly happy to play with a pick for the rest of my life I wasn't such a forgetful twat.

[quote name='SteveO' post='225895' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:12 PM']+1. I never feel comfortable playing pick, although it makes it a hell of a lot easier playing 4 mins of straight semiquavers punk style (yawn)[/quote]

For those of us who do like 4 minutes (well 2-3 anyway!) of Ramones type semiquavers (not that its all my band does) a pick is the way to go unless you want your fingers to drop off!

Different (pick) strokes for different folks :)

well if it's any consolation I have the reverse problem, I have always played with fingers but recently I've been learning lot's of tracks which were played with a pick and sometimes it's hard to get the right sound. Nice'n'sleazy and Rancids 'Fall back down' in particular don't translate well into finger style, I try but end up ditching the pick as learning a new tune as well as pick playing is just too hard, I really need to start from scratch with the pick and wish I had been less of a snob and practiced both from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...

I ought to spend more practice time trying to master using a plectrum (I only picked up guitar briefly before moving to bass). Playing with a pick is a skill which has eluded me for a long time. I tend to get frustrated and just go back to what I'm familiar with (finger style).

I used to be a finger snob, until I realised that it's actually very difficult to practice a consistent pick technique.

Edited by peted

[quote name='Clarky' post='226090' date='Jun 24 2008, 06:17 PM']For those of us who do like 4 minutes (well 2-3 anyway!) of Ramones type semiquavers (not that its all my band does) a pick is the way to go unless you want your fingers to drop off!

Different (pick) strokes for different folks :)[/quote]

Johnny only used downstrokes (allegedly). Was DeeDee the same?

I love the sound Entwistle got on Live at Leeds with a pick. Wish I could do that but I'm the opposite of Legoheads and feel embarassed that I can only play fingerstyle.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241622' date='Jul 17 2008, 11:53 AM']Same here. I miss the strings with a pick.

I often prefer the pick sound, I just can't do it.[/quote]
Me too, but I'm forcing myself to practice it more and more coz I love the sound. I'm getting there :)

I've experimented with picks a little bit, mostly when I want really clear harmonics and stuff or if I feel like doing a little bit of tremolo. Tonewise I prefer fingerstyle. But if I want a more picky tone, I can get it on my Warwick with fingerstyle. In the end I find fingerstyle more natural (and I think it looks better as well) but it's good to have both techniques down just in case.