Why become a member? ×

Never tried finger style...!!!

ye finger style is more natural sounding no question about it, and i agree with it looking cooler too, but sometimes when i play i want the hard edged sound of a pic, and i just struggle with one

I started with a pick and now I just can't do it; nor can I slap. Fingerstyle only for me I'm afraid. When I've tried with a pick recently I find I just don't like the sound - too hollow and tinny.

FWIW, I don't think there's a "right" or "proper" way to play. Whatever suits you and gives you the sound you want and lets you best play the music you like is the best technique for you.

:)

[quote name='Astronomer' post='244908' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:53 PM']FWIW, I don't think there's a "right" or "proper" way to play. Whatever suits you and gives you the sound you want and lets you best play the music you like is the best technique for you.

:)[/quote]
Agreed :huh:

I can't slap for toffee either. I think if my life depended on it I'd be 6 feet under!

I use both, but to be honest it depends very much on the sound that I am aiming for.
What I have found is that if I want a punchy sound with plenty of attack where the notes are very defined then I go for the pick and if I want - well pretty much the opposite - then I'll go for my fingers. I know that's overly simplified but it works for me!
To be honest I think that there is a lot of snobbery about fingerstyle and that you're not a "true" bassist if you play with a pick but in my opinion it's just another way of getting a sound, like using an EBow or a bow or (on one occasion) a stainless steel teaspoon.
It's a means to an end, and I don't think it's any more right than any other style.
Just go with what gives you what you want.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='243996' date='Jul 20 2008, 07:32 PM']How do you stop a shiny bit of plastic slipping out of your sweaty fingers after about 20 notes for example?[/quote]
Try Tortex ones. I am a right diaphoretic bastard, yet these stay in place jolly well.

I would play exclusively with fingers (I learnt this way) like me heroes Harris, Butler, Burton, Lee, Claypool, Boothroyd et al, but the pick sounds better in the context of the din we currently play. I am however fortunate to be able to play equally badly with both. I won't be bringing one to the bash though, so fret (sic) not, my non-scratchplate brethren!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='242927' date='Jul 18 2008, 05:42 PM']iv got a thumb pic, but its too small for my thumb! i guess they come in different sizes?? i definatly intend on tryin to master picking...il make it cool :)[/quote]

If you get the large dunlop ones, they feel very tight but will loosen up after 30 mins or so of playing. You might notice a slight lack of circulation in the end of your thumb, but it wont hurt.

I sorta got into bass playing from hybrid picking on regular guitar; where you hold a pick with thumb and first finger but pick with middle and ring fingers. It wasn't a straight-forward transfer but I did try both pick and fingerstyle.

My first observation is that it's hard to switch between them. Hats off to anyone who can play one number fingerstyle and the next tune with a pick. Second I find getting into a fast start is easier with a pick but if you work at it fingerstyle you can do replicate most speedy stuff. You'll find mnemonics like 'bogger-bugger-bogger' written on my song sheets to help me.

Observing full-on pick players I reckon what the pick grants is easy aggression. Finger style seduces you to be more subtle, sometimes this isn't required, but I'm now finding that if you push into rock playing you can land notes with satisfying 'twang' on demand.

Picks are getting a bit dusty I'm afraid...