Why become a member? ×

Pay or not to pay

peterj219

Hi - just interested to hear your views on a very small issue - nothing overly important, but wondering what the ettiquette is....

I have been helping out a band in practice sessions, as their bassist cannot make the practice session (strange, but hey!), we play for about three hours on a saturday morning at a small dedicated music rehearsal facility. My role for three occasions now, is to help them in learning and general playing of the music.... I do not mind as it is simple enough music and it occupies my saturday morning. I volunteer my help for free as I know a couple of the band members socially....

So.... at the end of my last session with them they asked if I would help out next saturday - I said no problem.... they then asked for a share of the facility hiring fee.... not too expensive, but as I didnt have any cash with me I said I could not... they said thats okay - you can pay for it next week!!

My question being - should I be expected to pay as I will not be in the band during their gigs and I help for free..... what do you reckon?

Nope. You're helping them out. If it were me my response would be "OK but if that's the case I want an equal share of what you make at gigs". I'd be inclined to suggest the bass player you stand in for should pay your share.

The complete opposite!

Our drummer was ill this week and I got hold of a dep at very short notice for a rehearsal.

We paid him £20 for the rehearsal and £5 petrol money.

Hs not a pro musician or anything but he gave up his time and we really needed his help so we were happy to pay him for an evening's 'work'.

When I first started playing with the band I play in it was just a depping spot. As time went on I was getting more and more playing with them. Funnily enough it was only at practices. The other bass player never missed a gig. Money involved in that, surprise. In the end the band said to other guy that as I had been helping them out so much I would be doing half the gigs.

Surprise, surprise suddenly my playing at practices dried up as he never missed one. I called his bluff and left the band. I went along to see them at a local gig shortly after that and came the question "Has Bill asked you to come back to the band. We never know when Derek is going to turn up".

Sounds a similar situation you find yourself in. Don't pay. If the other guy values his place in the band then he needs to pull his weight.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1382906830' post='2257942']
I'd do musical mates a favour, but I certainly wouldn't pay to do that favour.

I'm surprised that they had the cheek to ask quite honestly!
[/quote]

Those were my exact thoughts.

My inclination would have been to pay the requested amount without complaint but then not be available for any future sessions.

They shouldn't be asking you. Tell them your depping rates are three times the amount they want from you for rehearsal but you are willing to overlook the shortfall as a favour so they don't have to pay you and you're even. If they don't take the hint ask them to find someone else.