Why become a member? ×

Practice

maldy

I haven't properly practiced my bass with any sort of routine, or intent for far too many years. When I first started I was really dedicated. Then I joined a band and just learnt songs for the band. Then I had a family and everything has gone out the window!

The irony now is that I have far less time, but feel more motivated than ever, to practice. Even if it is just for a small amount each day. Obviously that is better than nothing.

I've been provisionally working on a plan based on the sound ideas here:

http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/bass-practice.html

I was interested what methods, philosophies, approach other people took. How long you managed to practice, what you practice, where and when. I'm just keen to absorb as many good ideas as possible. I know it can be a very individual thing, but tell me what works for you.

I'll be watching this thread with interest :)

I've just set up a practice routine with advice from my tutor.

[b]Warm up (5 mins)[/b]
Chromatic exercises from the Bass Fitness book at 60 bpm - raising by 2 bpm when I feel like I've mastered the previous tempo.

[b]Scales practice (10 mins)[/b]
Major scales, C, G, D, A, E, B, F (in order of the most likely to be used). Find different ways of playing them using all over the neck. Practice one octave, then two octaves. Say each note out loud as you play it to get rid of thinking about shapes and thinking about the notes in the scale and where they are on the fretboard.

[b]Theory practice (10 mins)[/b]
Transcribe Blue Monk by Thelonius Monk (my current theory tune). Transcribe 12 bars, then improvise 12 bars.

[b]Warm down (5 mins)[/b]
Same as warm up (to avoid carpel tunnel syndrome/cramping).

That's for when I can only manage 30 mins. If I've got an hour, I need to double the time spent on all parts.

Or, for the second half hour I'll run through my band's songs, playing along to our recordings (sans bass as I have the project files in Reaper on my PC). If I know a song really well (which is about all of them now) I'll focus on the sound of each note, the length of it and the feel of it. I try and pay attention to how I'm using my fingers to affect the tone (see Scott Devine's great lesson about that here: [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/beginners/the-secret-to-a-great-bass-tone.html"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/beginners/the-secret-to-a-great-bass-tone.html[/url]). I'll even practice by recording the bass line so I can hear it back - a great way to be very subjective about how well you nailed it (or not as it can turn out!).

[quote][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"]I wince when I think back on how many hours I spent back in the day playing scales and arpeggios that were of no practical use to me either then or now and had absolutely no connection in any way, shape or form with what I wanted to achieve.[/size][/font][/quote]

What does he want to achieve?

I usually practice about 3 to 6 hours per day. Sometimes more or less, depending on gig schedule and teaching.

I usually pick a tune and learn it inside out. With Transcriptions. Then record the line..... and analyze what has to be changed , or improved, + the usual rythmical exercices... and scales... etc... have to keep in shape for students...

my latest : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMfxKYEN_KQ

Tim Lefvebre is a ******** animal on this tune. Give it a go.

good luck... you'll need it ;-) it took me a while... and still i don't get it "right"... lol

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1382088616' post='2247659']

What does he want to achieve?
[/quote]

I think he wanted to be able to play the bass lines to songs really well. He could do loads of scales etc, but not many songs. That's my interpretation.

I think his point is knowing what you want to achieve and practice specifically for it. Which is kind if obvious, but it suppose many of us don't.

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1382106440' post='2248089']
I think he wanted to be able to play the bass lines to songs really well. He could do loads of scales etc, but not many songs. That's my interpretation.

I think his point is knowing what you want to achieve and practice specifically for it. Which is kind if obvious, but it suppose many of us don't.
[/quote]

I see. Yes I agree goals are important. I've not real idea what I want to achieve but I know chords and scales will be part of me getting to where it is when I know where it is.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1382088294' post='2247654']
Up at 5.30am, cup of tea, one hour's practice. Repeat everyday. That's what works best for me. I can only manage an hour a day, realistically, but I make sure I do it no matter what. This way, I can get home in the evening and not have to try to fit it in.
[/quote]

That would be my ideal and was my plan. I prefer getting practice done early, rather than doing it late in the evening. However, for the last seven months my one year old has been waking several times in the night and getting up between 5:30 and 6 :-(

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1382107683' post='2248124']

That would be my ideal and was my plan. I prefer getting practice done early, rather than doing it late in the evening. However, for the last seven months my one year old has been waking several times in the night and getting up between 5:30 and 6 :-(
[/quote]
It'll get better. Have fun with the little one and they'll be fun for you :)

About 7 hours today. Lot of sight reading, some improv over melodic and harmonic minor modes and major 7# and b5 arpeggios. I always use a metronome varying the tempo and listening to the articulation and listening out to check my string dampening. I have tendency to play my notes a bit short sometimes.

I also try and do some transcribing most days, either just rhythmic melodic or both.

Keyboard practice too.

Plus work for uni, arranging, composing, harmony and theory revision and stuff like that.

Edited by ambient

I`ve a few set patterns of running up and down/across the fretboard, from there I play whatever I feel like at the time. Sometimes it will be working on new basslines for songs we`re writing, other times it will be playing our own material, other times playing along to CDs, and other times playing but no actual songs/lines, just whatever happens.

As nobody has mentioned it, I try to keep a diary of my practice. It helps show progress, especially if you put down the metronome bpm you can play riffs at if you're trying to get faster.

WRT time per day. Id love to say it's a regular 2 hours, but with a job, mortgage etc, life isn't so easy to find the time every day. To all the young out there; use the time well. Its a luxury you won't always have.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1382248659' post='2249635']
As nobody has mentioned it, I try to keep a diary of my practice. It helps show progress, especially if you put down the metronome bpm you can play riffs at if you're trying to get faster.

WRT time per day. Id love to say it's a regular 2 hours, but with a job, mortgage etc, life isn't so easy to find the time every day. To all the young out there; use the time well. Its a luxury you won't always have.
[/quote] Big +1 :)

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1382095686' post='2247823']
I generally just have a bit of a plonk about every now and again.
[/quote]

Same here.

Some days I might really be in the mood for bass, some other days not. It might be a computer day or guitar day...or soon to be Xbox day! :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1382248659' post='2249635']

[/quote]

That's a good suggestion.

Another slightly related is to plan your practice. List the ares you want to work on, decide how much time you've actually got and split that time up accordingly.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1382097847' post='2247877']
I usually practice about 3 to 6 hours per day. Sometimes more or less, depending on gig schedule and teaching.

I usually pick a tune and learn it inside out. With Transcriptions. Then record the line..... and analyze what has to be changed , or improved, + the usual rythmical exercices... and scales... etc... have to keep in shape for students...

my latest : [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMfxKYEN_KQ[/media]

Tim Lefvebre is a ******** animal on this tune. Give it a go.

good luck... you'll need it ;-) it took me a while... and still i don't get it "right"... lol
[/quote]

This is fantastic. Though the musicianship and ideas in this deserve a far better tune. Great sequencing and great playing.