Why become a member? ×

Warwick - Love or Hate?

maldy

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I heard a few people around here talk about Warwick basses falling out of fashion a while back. Was there any reason for Warwicks falling out of fashion, or is it just one of those things? I've also noticed since being on this forum a few people really not liking Warwick basses. I can understand people having different preferences for a shape, or a sound of bass. That's the way of the world and I get that. I've always thought warwicks seemed to be a high quality produced instrument with a good sound. Naturally they may not be for everyone. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]However, some people really seem to loathe them and that surprises me! [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would genuinely be interested to hear why people either love, or hate these basses. [/font][/color]

I don't appreciate EVERY bass that Warwick do but certain Warwick basses have a cracking sound and their playability and ergonomics are (IMHO) superb. The Streamer (I or II) is a lovely thing to play (as is the Spector NS but I have tended to find them a bit more 'bloated' ergonomically and tonally) but I can appreciate how Fender-Heads can't get away with where the neck hangs (short horn on the W means that Fender top horns have the neck pulled back toward the body), same scale but W necks can 'appear' to be longer. I also love the Dolphin for tone and aesthetics, likewise the Thumb BUT I can't get away with the even shorter horn on the Thumb.

Another point of note is that the W neck profile has changed over time and some folks pick up a W from a certain period and may have an instant like/dislike to the profile and they never bother trying a different period bass to see if that is better/worse. Oddly enough people talk about Fender J and P basses as though the necks only come in 2 profiles (P = full & J = skinny) yet I've tried some 70's J basses that have chunky profile necks... worse than any W! LOL

Horses for courses though and I never actively try and convert folks to liking Warwick basses; though one or two have been surprised when they have tried mine! ;)

Tried quite a few and not liked any of them, haven't tried them all though.

Didn't like the neck, the finish on the neck, the way they hang, they often seem to have blingy gold hardware. And the Warwick "Sound of Wood" just isn't my cup of tea.

But then I don't like Stingrays either, but do like 70s Fenders and headed Status 5 strings :huh: :D

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1380901859' post='2232228']
Well I love my Warwick Corvette $$ Ltd Edition - Maybe I'm biased but to me it looks great, is easy to play and has a lovely growly tone. The workmanship and finish is surperb. No blingy gold hardware in sight either :D
[/quote]

Fair enough, just had a look at the Warwick website and most seem to have chrome or black hardware. Maybe it's time I tried a few more! ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1380902382' post='2232242']
What was it about the necks that put you off?
[/quote]
i like a neck to be as slim (thin front to back) as possible and i know warwick necks vary from one model to another but they all feel wrong to me
the infinity i mentioned was the closest that i liked but i think that was a custom order.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1380902696' post='2232250']
i like a neck to be as slim (thin front to back) as possible and i know warwick necks vary from one model to another but they all feel wrong to me
the infinity i mentioned was the closest that i liked but i think that was a custom order.
[/quote]

Try and find an early/mid 80's Streamer, they have a very slim neck (back to front as well); in fact my 5th Anniversary Streamer has a thinner neck than ANY bass I've tried in 30+ years... Oh and I've tried a LOT! :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1380902844' post='2232255']
Try and find an early/mid 80's Streamer, they have a very slim neck (back to front as well); in fact my 5th Anniversary Streamer has a thinner neck than ANY bass I've tried in 30+ years... Oh and I've tried a LOT! :lol:
[/quote]
yeah im not opposed to trying different models, asthetically i like some models, others not so much, i would never rule them out but i wouldnt go out of my way to hunt one down.
i would have to swap out any dirty MEC's though ;)
Zon necks are Amazing!!!!!!, but thats not easily achievable with wood

Edited by winterfire666

Put me in the hate camp. Can't stand most of the necks and the body shape doesn't suit a fatty like me, perhaps it's more of a strap pin positioning thing but it drives me mental.

Oh and their adverts really wind me up too - I have no idea why.

Shame as no denying they look nice!

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1380901460' post='2232213']
Most seem to sound great and are quality instruments. I will not buy a bass that has a penis for top horn.
[/quote]

What about a penis for a bottom horn?

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-icb300ex-iceman-extreme-4-string-electric-bass"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-icb300ex-iceman-extreme-4-string-electric-bass[/url]

Don't look at them these days as I think they have had their place in the sun.
I think they are like MM basses in that they were great at one point... the company got sold
and they needed to produce more cheaper basses ... but the biggest thing is that they sound out of
date. I am sure their top end basses are pretty good.. still.

Love em. I have owned a couple of Streamers, Corvettes, a Dolphin and a Thumb (still own that one). Great basses to play and sound awesome. Not the best looking basses ever made, but I have never bought them because of their looks. Comfort and tone comes first for me.

I haven't played many Warwicks (just 3 I think) but I liked all of them. It took me a while to learn to appreciate the aesthetics, and I'm still not a fan of the Corvette bodyshape but I LOVE the Streamer and the Thumb. I bought my Streamer LX5 unseen and without trying it out first, and it turned out to be a 2003 model with a huge neck, but I have big hands so I'm not at all uncomfortable with it. I love the ergonomics of the body, and the tone is really agressive and punchy. It suits me perfectly :)

I bought a Thumb 5 back in the German days, it was a brief love affair before being replaced by a Stingray.

A few years later picked up a corvette std 5 on the cheap and it was a keeper. Still sounded like a wick but without the unbridled gurgle the thumb has.

The MECs were actually pretty good! The preamp was the weakest link, not much guts and no mid control. I'm running an all EMG system now but given the choice again, I would've left the MECs in there and installed an Aggie 3 band. A more powerful pre really woke this instrument up.

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1380904770' post='2232305']
Are the MEC pickups an issue for people as well? Are they considered a decent pickup?
[/quote]

I have no problem with MECs in fact you'd be hard pushed to be able to tell them apart from other quality 'active' pup manufacturers such as EMG... well they were designed/reverse engineered to do the job of EMGs! ;)