Why become a member? ×

Warwick - Love or Hate?

maldy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381440203' post='2239292']

Are they out of fashion? :huh:
[/quote]

I think that there is a perception among some that they had their heyday in the 90s/00s.

The used prices are very low, suggesting that the demand is not there.

I've never played one, so can only comment on the aesthetics. I'd love a Fortress Flashback, but wouldn't have the nerve to play it live - too flashy. Other than that, I find the Vampyre hideous, the Corvette, Infinity, Dolphin, normal Fortress and Thumb less than pretty, and The Star the nicest Warwick of them all. The Streamer is nice enough, in a Spector kind of way.

I saved and saved and saved and saved...
Enough for a Thumb 5 NT. Went to the Wapping Bass Centre on 19/04/97 and tried one. Preferred the Streamer LX5. Then found this dusty black thing in the corner from a manufacturer I'd never heard of. I bought that without hesitation.

It was a Vigier.
I still own it.

(But 3 Warwicks have since followed- a Streamer LX6, Infinity SN4 and Fortress MM5)

Edit for- wouldn't mind a Dolphin at some point. It'd have to be NT, though.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1381440723' post='2239306']
I've got a friend who's a great bassist and usually plays a relatively new Fender Precision, with which he gets a really nice deep, punchy sound out of his GK combo. I heard him the other day playing his Warwick Thumb bass and it sounded horrible. He was playing just a bog standard covers gig and the bass sounded horribly thin and weedy - like a Jazz bass with just the bridge pickup turned on. It sounded so wrong for that gig, as it had zero bottom end - just a very nasal, middy, growl. Yuck!

Do they all sound like that?
[/quote]

No! A friend had a Thumb BO from 1988 and it was the beefiest sounding bass I've ever played, including a bunch of Fender P basses and even a Shuker P. Sooo much low end growl it's unreal.

I wanted a Warwick for years, finally got hold of a Streamer Pro-M and loved it. It was the first bass I'd ever find myself picking up for the joy of playing rather than thinking I needed to practice. If I hadn't spent the money I got for it on a Letts fretless, I'd completely regret selling it.

The fact they've gone out of style make me happy as I know I could sell a mid range guitar and use the minimal amount to cash to get another Warwick easily.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1381609251' post='2241463']
I saved and saved and saved and saved...
Enough for a Thumb 5 NT. Went to the Wapping Bass Centre on 19/04/97 and tried one. Preferred the Streamer LX5. Then found this dusty black thing in the corner from a manufacturer I'd never heard of. I bought that without hesitation.

It was a Vigier.
I still own it.

(But 3 Warwicks have since followed- a Streamer LX6, Infinity SN4 and Fortress MM5)

Edit for- wouldn't mind a Dolphin at some point. It'd have to be NT, though.
[/quote]
Man, the best bass I ever owned was a carbon fibre Vigier back in the 80's. Loved that bass.

I like Warwick's btw. If they are good enough for Jack Bruce & Stu Zender then that is good enough for me.

I just love mine. I have an 89 Thumb and a 93 5 string Thumb. I think around the time they came out there were alot of the players i liked using them. in particular Dick Nolan from It Bites used a 6 string Warwick. I loved the sound. Saved like crazy and bought the 4 string Thumb. its been with me since. ive have equally great basses, My 93 MM and my 83 JV. I'm very lucky. As far as I'm aware the early ones are still held in high regard. They have a sound you can dial in. i use them for mainly Funk and Disco stuff.

What i can say is any fellow player that has played mine spends ages playing them and their heads are turning as they leave. But like i say i think i'm very luck as i bought mine in their prime