Why become a member? ×

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Fionn

Wow!!!

I heard Bitches Brew for the first time ever today. Both records, loud, through nice speakers, whilst I should have been concentrating on work. I became lost in it really. What I found most absorbing were the prevailing hypnotic grooves which are interlaced throughout the radical and sometimes (borderline) chaotic course of the two records. They are most often very subtle, sometimes almost buried. This is superlative musicianship on every level. It totally blew my mind. Is it co-incidence that this record was concieved during the psychedelic revolution? It's been a while since I've heard anything which is at once so utterly engaging, challenging, and stimulating.

That said, It's not shagging music, and your girlfriend will probably hate it :)

It wont sound at best on youtube, but here's a link if you're interested ...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vFIh7GP-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vFIh7GP-Q[/url]

I've loved this album for over 40 years. As someone has said it was a landmark album which some critics loved and some hated. Some thought it was the dawn of a new music and some though it was the death of another.

If you like this though there's lots more to discover with numerous Miles Davis live recordings of this period and the albums that came later. You see i'm really excited writing this and know what's coming. Imagine how exciting it's going to be if you don't know what the next album brings. Essential listening!

I started learning trumpet last year and obviously been listening to a fair bit of Miles, although I'm avoiding studying him too much as I'm sure every trumpet player does that and I want to find my own voice.

Doesn't stop me trying out new stuff of his though, I'll give this a listen as there's a few of his classic albums I've not tried out and this is one of them.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1380652784' post='2228557']

If you like this though there's lots more to discover with numerous Miles Davis live recordings of this period and the albums that came later. You see i'm really excited writing this and know what's coming. Imagine how exciting it's going to be if you don't know what the next album brings. Essential listening!
[/quote]
I'm excited for you too! Miles' golden period for me was long; from the new quintet (with Coleman then Shorter) right through to Pangaea.
Never a dull moment.

I love this album too . It's such a great - sounding recording for a start, as anyone who has experienced the pleasure of hearing it on a good system will attest to . I think the music on this L.P is so captivating because it is at once more accessible to a rock audience than most post-bebop jazz up to that point because of its' overall attitude and instrumentation , but it is unfamiliar and esoteric at the same time due to Miles Davis ' uncompromising obtuseness and steadfast refusal to dumb down the music in any way . He may have made a crossover album , but he certainly had no intention of selling out his jazz credentials to do so.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1380655434' post='2228603']
Never really worked for me. Iconic and profoundly influential but not on my listening list.
[/quote]
I liked everything from the Birth Of The Cool onwards but especially loved the classic mid 60s Quintet with Shorter, Hancock, Carter & Williams. I'm sure that a lot traditionalists are still getting over Bitches Brew even now but i always thought it was simply Miles moving on musically. He was never was one to stand still for long so it seemed a natural progression to me. Miles was clever in surrounding himself with younger musicians and hence picking up new ideas and the electric Miles fitted in with the times perfectly.
I find Michael Henderson pounding out a funky Detroit bass line just as enjoyable as listening to the great Paul Chambers or Ron Carter playing with Miles.

I discovered Bitches Brew this year. It's an elusive beast, without a doubt. It's the kind of record which, though utterly absorbing, leaves precious little to remember it by once it's finished. Which means that every time I hear it, it's like listening to it for the first time.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1380659534' post='2228685']
The producer Teo Macero deserves some credit here, as it was he who knitted together short sections
of music, into the tapestry we so love today.
[/quote]
Yes, Teo Macero certainly produced some fine albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHRDlI7s7E

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1380651154' post='2228526']
Wow!!!

I heard Bitches Brew for the first time ever today. Both records, loud, through nice speakers, whilst I should have been concentrating on work. I became lost in it really. What I found most absorbing were the prevailing hypnotic grooves which are interlaced throughout the radical and sometimes (borderline) chaotic course of the two records. They are most often very subtle, sometimes almost buried. This is superlative musicianship on every level. It totally blew my mind. Is it co-incidence that this record was concieved during the psychedelic revolution? It's been a while since I've heard anything which is at once so utterly engaging, challenging, and stimulating.

That said, It's not shagging music, and your girlfriend will probably hate it :)

It wont sound at best on youtube, but here's a link if you're interested ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vFIh7GP-Q[/media]
[/quote]
I'm with your girlfriend. I f***ing hate it as well :D

Great stuff. Back to the 70's, I say. Heralding in all sorts of wonders (Weather Report, King Crimson...), a true ground breaker. There was a world before, and a universe afterwards. One doesn't have to like it, I suppose, but at least appreciate the effect it had on his contemporaries. Where would we be without him..? I shudder to think. Thanks for the reminder. B)

That was the beginning of the end of Miles. There's some very cool stuff but it misses more than it hits and the years have not been kind. Miles loved Sly and the Family Stone and wanted to do a funky, atmospheric psychedelic thing with jazz improvisation. One of the bass players on the album is Harvey Brook who worked with The Doors. It sorts worked in spots. But as Miles continued in that direction it became a lot of meandering, noisy w***ing.

Edited by Lowender

I used to get stoned with friends and listen to this in the 90's, although great it's worth checking out Agharta and also Pangea. Also Live Evil is great.

Definitely cleared some parties back in the day with this stuff...apart from fellow crazy muso types :D

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1380676989' post='2228909']
That was the beginning of the end of Miles. There's some very cool stuff but it misses more than it hits and the years have not been kind. Miles loved Sly and the Family Stone and wanted to do a funky, atmospheric psychedelic thing with jazz improvisation. One of the bass players on the album is Harvey Brook who worked with The Doors. It sorts worked in spots. But as Miles continued in that direction it became a lot of meandering, noisy w***ing.
[/quote]

But of course it wasn't all about trying to emulate Sly and the burgeoning funk scene, and 'missing'; Miles was increasingly preoccupied with the work of Stockhausen and Varese.
In terms of incorporating those dense textures and breaks from the compositional atructures people had been used to with jazz and rock, he pretty much nailed it.

I bought this in my 20s but didn't really get it so it sat on the shelf. 20 years later I had another go and this time it sounded amazing. I must have needed those years to widen my mind!

Amazing era-defining piece of art. In my opinion it was all downhill for jazz not long after this was released!

First heard this about 20 years ago.

Loved it then, love it now....'directions in music' indeed.

It's a real 'desert island' album in the sense you could listen to everyday for the rest of your life, and still be finding new elements you didn't hear before.

Late 60's onward is when I think Miles was on fire (until the mid-70's retirement) - every time I listen to anything from that entire period - it's simply breathtaking. He released lots of live stuff as well, all equally awesome.

+1 on the mention of Teo as well. He was the genius who put it all together. I remember a quote from the great man at the time of the release of the 'complete' box sets (BB, On The Corner, etc.) - he was against the release as they simply "put all the crap back in"!

BTW - for the OP, there's a great release from a few years back, 'Bitches Brew Live', super live stuff from that period.

So here's 'Spanish Key' in all of it's Isle Of Wighty glory....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNDYL8CxX8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNDYL8CxX8[/url]