Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 3rd Generation product range upgrades

thebassman

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380205412' post='2222304']
I'm not carrying more cab than I need at all !! My cab is the right combination of tone and power handling without it being in danger of it blowing and having to be sent away for repair.
[/quote]

So what was the 'not even approaching limits' part then? I can use an S15 with my Little Bastard for living room noodling, that's not approaching limits (I do that a lot), S15 is way more than I need for that, I'd use a Midget for that if I had one.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380212204' post='2222409']
The cab is the least of my worries tonight, the drummer has a trapped nerve and can't feel anything in his right hand and the lead singer has a bad cold which has gone to his chest! Going to be interesting :)
[/quote]

Instrumental Def Leppard tribute it is then.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380204530' post='2222283']
All of it.
[/quote]

I understand from listening to some music from the genre you enjoy that volume and tone are a BIG part of the huge sound and dynamics. I apologise for making assumptions!

Not a problem at all, but I've personally discovered that playing at normal volume levels with a guitar, synth and drums is actually more fun. Why? Because I can hear everything. The problem with having a cab that produces crazy volume for me is that I simply don't need it. I don't want to stress my ears or cause onstage issues for other band members.

The last band I was in that toured played far too loud. The bass HAD to be middy to cut through...even at high volumes. It was really annoying. I remember going dizzy at one practice (with ear protection) from the sheer volume one of the guitar cabs was producing. It just isn't needed.

Volume wars are almost as bad as speed wars between car enthusiasts. I just don't care to even begin joining in.

Edited by Musicman20

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380204116' post='2222272']
With the Barefaced cabs there is always a lot of emphasis on how loud they can go. In real world gigging situations what matters to me is the tone and being able to hear what I'm playing clearly. This doesn't always mean more volume is needed. How loud do you need to be really ? Play too loud and you piss off your band mates and end up in a volume war which destroys your band sound and also pisses off the PA engineer (if there is one) as he can't do anything other than take your bass out of the PA completely.
Both my bands are quite loud and I don't have to run my cab at anywhere near it's limits to be heard clearly and the ports are behind the grill , no problems with tone or low end at all.
[/quote]

Its not just about maximum volume though, a "loud" cab tends to be an efficient one which is quite important especially when using smaller cabs and class D amps which tend to have less raw power than similarly rated "proper" amps.

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380193054' post='2222053']
Have you asked Alex? He seems quite happy to discuss your needs/preferences, particularly if you can indicate the bass, amp and any other cabs you're using. There's a link on the website.
[/quote]

Didn't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy at the mo. I notice he just posted above that he'd be putting some stuff about this on the website (thanks Alex).

A whole new world of GAS. :)

The first Super Twin survived the gig test with ease, but to be fair it wasn't too hard as the drummer ended up in hospital an hour or so before the gig, so we ended up playing without him. The bass sounded good, but the whole band was playing at low volume, and to an audience of 'young' dementia sufferers! 'Young' seemed to mean under 80 or so, but they were a good audience to play to, Another ten days to the next gig, with either our regular drummer or a dep.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380234309' post='2222778']
Well , talking about Barefaced in any way other than high praise certainly gets some people stirred up doesn't it ??
I seem to have broken some sort of Basschat golden rule there , don't worry , I won't do it again ...!!
Enjoy.
[/quote]

Well have you ever used one in anger?

Yes they are capable of truly surprising volume, as a result of which you could probably get away with a smaller cab than you are used to (although you may need a more powerful amp to drive it - less so with the larger cabs, less so again with the latest generation cabs, which are very efficient IMO).

I think each generation I've heard has been tonally better than the previous effort, they are a product line that is improving in all respects, they sound better, they are lighter, they are more efficient, they are srtonger than ever.

If you havent actually used one at least in a rehearsal space with a band then you cant comment on the tone really, however if you've had the pleasure of just playing at bedroom volumes you would be hard pushed to be hugely disappointed with the tone of all the range, something there will be close to what you want, and with some eq almost certainly meet your needs in a band setting I would think.

They do sound good....

[size=4][quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380234309' post='2222778'][/size]...talking about Barefaced in any way other than high praise certainly gets some people stirred up doesn't it?
[size=4][/quote][/size][quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380236863' post='2222814']
Well have you ever used one in anger?
[/quote]

Or indeed [i]at all?[/i]

Edited by discreet

Well that's a reasonably eventful night! Shame about your drummer - hope he recovers. Guess you'll have to annoy the neighbours a bit for the next 10 days! ;)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380236150' post='2222804']
The first Super Twin survived the gig test with ease, but to be fair it wasn't too hard as the drummer ended up in hospital an hour or so before the gig, so we ended up playing without him. The bass sounded good, but the whole band was playing at low volume, and to an audience of 'young' dementia sufferers! 'Young' seemed to mean under 80 or so, but they were a good audience to play to, Another ten days to the next gig, with either our regular drummer or a dep.
[/quote]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1380262768' post='2222881']

Excellent, report back?.

Just had word from Alex, mine should be with me Monday.
[/quote]

Excellent news.
How come you guys are getting your new cabs so quick? Have barefaced majorly increased turn round time?

As soon as I decide what cab(s) to go for, looks like I might be pressing the button too.

Cheers

Thenassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1380266499' post='2222930']
Excellent news.
How come you guys are getting your new cabs so quick? Have barefaced majorly increased turn round time?

As soon as I decide what cab(s) to go for, looks like I might be pressing the button too.

Cheers

Thenassman
[/quote]

I ordered mine at the beginning of May, Alex offered to change my order to the new range soon afterwards, so I had to wait over 4 months to get mine. But I do have the satisfaction of owning the first Super Twin!

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1380266499' post='2222930']

Excellent news.

Cheers

Thenassman
[/quote]

My Super Twin is in transit and will be here today! :-D I ordered it over 3 months ago and the wait has been painful but hopefully my knee won't be in future! Typical, our singer's ill so no gig tonight and after a flurry of one a week we don't have another one till November! Will be pushing for lots of band practices ;-)

Been looking at the new models and i think that they weren't made to be mixed. Example:

Super Midget on top of a Super Compact - This would balance properly but the midget is smaller in width and depth. Doesn't look like they're made for each other...

Big Baby 2 on top of Super Compact - This seems to me the best pair (on spec) but the BB2 exceeds the SC's dimentions both in width and depth...

So, some questions for Alex:
Are the new cabs to be used only in pairs of the same model? If they can be mix/matched wich combos would you reccomend?

I see an advantage in using a Super Compact as a bottom cab and handling the lows added with a SM or BB2 with tweeter on top for highs. I also know that such rig is already assured by the Big Twin 2 but it lacks the modularity of being able to take just one cab for those small gigs.