Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 3rd Generation product range upgrades

thebassman

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1380036393' post='2219904']

It's always very easy to think that what you have is inferior when a company releases a new model. My Super 12 is still by far and away the best cab I've had. And it IS still a fantastic product. The only reason I'd have to change to a new one is for a little more LF sensitivity so I can run my amp flat. It's not really enough of a reason to upgrade IMO. These things are not like iPhones, they are built to last!
[/quote]

Totally agree, after 2 years I convinced a friend of mine to go BF and he just ordered a BT2 - knowing he'd get a Gen3 model I was quite put out...........until last rehearsal when my S12 reminded me, I may never [u]need[/u] another cab.

I've had my deposit on a Super Compact for a few weeks now, but after trying out the midget, compact & big baby 2 at the bash on Saturday, I've changed my mind.

I no longer want one...

I want two :(

I changed my order to just a Super Midget though - for a 12" speaker that weighs absolutely nothing, it sounded fantastic - I can't wait to get my hands on it!

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1380041862' post='2220010']
Always a difference between want and need. Latest and greatest always gets everyones juices flowing, but once the dust has settled theres probably only ever incremental differences....not necessarily better, just differences.
[/quote]

Yeah, buy the newer models! I'm going to keep my S12T, it'll gain in value in the far future as a true vintage Barefaced! LOL :P

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1380041862' post='2220010']
....Always a difference between want and need....
[/quote]

There are players today still gigging gear I was using 30 years ago, so I guess I haven't [i]needed[/i] anything I've bought since then.

The Super Compact only weighs 22 lbs. I [i]want[/i] a cab that light.

At this rate my music stand will be the heaviest piece of gear I'll be carrying.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380142785' post='2221557']
After a 290 mile round trip, Super Twin # 001 is in its new home, where it is a perfect fit for my ABM 500. I'll fire it up tomorrow, but late in the evening to inflict it on the rest of the village now, and should be gigging it tomorrow evening.
[/quote]
Fantastic! Hope all goes well. Looking forward to the pics and sounds. When I eventually get mine (wonder what number?), will post pic c/w pint of Hobgoblin and Hobgoblin T-shirt!

That could turn into quite a niche (but very cool) 'show your barefaced and hobgoblin' thread! :D

[quote name='maggsybass' timestamp='1380145773' post='2221635']

Fantastic! Hope all goes well. Looking forward to the pics and sounds. When I eventually get mine (wonder what number?), will post pic c/w pint of Hobgoblin and Hobgoblin T-shirt!
[/quote]

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1380116611' post='2221032']
Still wondering whether you can match an old Midget with a new Compact. I believe the idea was that they could be mixed because the drivers were similar. Presumably that doesn't hold now?
[/quote]

I asked Alex if any of the 2nd gen models would be a suitable match to the 3rd gen Super Compact. He said that he'd tried the SC with the 2nd gen Compact and would possibly recommend the combination over a 2nd gen Compact and Midget combination...

[quote name='richardd' timestamp='1380184921' post='2221867']
...nobody seems to mention the poor materials used in there construction.
I think if you hit a door frame carrying one it through the cab would fall to pieces...
[/quote]

Poor materials?? Where did you get [i]that [/i]from? :huh:

Whils't you are all singing the praises of The BF cabs , nobody seems to mention the poor materials used in there construction. I think if you hit a door frame carrying one it through the cab would fall to pieces ,IMO, :)
[/quote]

Could you elaborate on this please? What are the poor materials? Have you had, or heard of, a BF cab breaking easily?

Whils't you are all singing the praises of The BF cabs , nobody seems to mention the poor materials used in there construction. I think if you hit a door frame carrying one it through the cab would fall to pieces ,IMO, :)
[/quote]

Thats a pretty uninformed description. Possibly worse than uninformed actually...

These things are tough as boots, I know I've actually bashed a studio door frame with one (accidentally) when A/B'ing a series 1 BigOne and Compact with my Berg.

By all accounts Alex tests his designs to destruction, by throwing a cab out of a 1st floor window onto concrete, they dont break in one go.....

Super Twin #001 tested and sound sweet, but at fairly low level as everything the house (and probably the neighbour's house) started rattling above 1/3rd volume. The real test will be tonight when it will have to cut through drums, 2 guitars and vocals/harp on stage.

Pictures were promised and here they are. I forgot to add any Hobgoblin content this time, though. Please ignore the positions of the tons controls in my ABM, just pulled it out of the bag and plonked it there, took pictures before playing, think the controls got moved during transit back from last gig. At home levels, it sounded fine with the amp EQ flat, will tweak to suit the venue this evening.

[attachment=144635:2013-09-26 09.55.56.jpg]

[attachment=144636:2013-09-26 09.57.31.jpg]

Edited by FinnDave

[/quote]
Any and all considerations about build quality of these cabs are redundant as soon as you a) pick it up B) listen to it. Seriously, I'm only 32 and my back was starting to give me a lot of grief from carrying cabs and amps about. Barefaced Cabs are a god send for me. And they sound just as nice if not nicer than the GK RBH and NEO cabs that I sold to pay for them. Not saying they're light years ahead of the competition - I haven't tried that many others, but I'm very pleased with the sound, and certainly the Compact is the best recording cab I've used myself.

I too was a little concerned about how fragile they FEEL (surely something that light can't be tough!), but I bought a Hotrox padded cover, and after about 18 months of gigging I pleased to say I've had no issues except for the same rubber feet/handles ones that Alex has (hopefully successfully) addressed in the new cabs. I do take good care of my stuff, so I can't say it's taken a huge beating, but I am no longer overly concerned about the strength of these cabs.

I have a 2G 15" Compact and a 3G Super Midget on the way. Very excited! If it gets here on time I'll take some pics of it on tour in early Oct.