Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 3rd Generation product range upgrades

thebassman

[quote name='richardd' timestamp='1380184921' post='2221867']
....Whils't you are all singing the praises of The BF cabs , nobody seems to mention the poor materials used in there construction. I think if you hit a door frame carrying one it through the cab would fall to pieces ,IMO....
[/quote]

What a strange post.

What poor materials are you talking about?

I guess nobody mentions them because they are a figment of your imagination?

[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1380183461' post='2221836']
I asked Alex if any of the 2nd gen models would be a suitable match to the 3rd gen Super Compact. He said that he'd tried the SC with the 2nd gen Compact and would possibly recommend the combination over a 2nd gen Compact and Midget combination...
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Looks a bit like an ah um.

I've got a midget, and I'm wondering now about what to match it with. I wonder now about matching first and second generation Midgets. A bit of a problem if that won't work.

Hmmm. Dropped my compact down a full flight of stairs once accidentally landing against a door. Not a mark on it, nothing fell off, rattled or affected the cab in the slightest. Whilst I wouldn't recommend doing this - they can withstand it. Sounds of a rash comment that....

[quote name='richardd' timestamp='1380184921' post='2221867']
Whils't you are all singing the praises of The BF cabs , nobody seems to mention the poor materials used in there construction. I think if you hit a door frame carrying one it through the cab would fall to pieces ,IMO, :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1380191567' post='2222021']
Hmmm. Dropped my compact down a full flight of stairs once accidentally landing against a door. Not a mark on it, nothing fell off, rattled or affected the cab in the slightest. Whilst I wouldn't recommend doing this - they can withstand it. Sounds of a rash comment that....
[/quote]

When I picked up my S12 a couple of years ago Alex was in the process of destruction testing a compact by launching it down a flight of stairs onto a concrete floor. I think it took four or five goes before it finally cracked. Say what you like about the build quality (which has improved generation on generation), but you cannot say these things are not tough.

I think if you are unlucky some of the Gen 1 and 2 may have a weak spot, if you hit them there they will crack, but I don't think its any different to cabs by any other manufacturer. Look on eBay at all the music stores selling slightly damaged amps and cabs.

When I get some time I'll add a page to our site explaining about mixing and matching Barefaced cabs of different types / generations.

It would be much much easier for us to put the grill over the port - it would mean we could spend a significant amount less time getting the finish right. However doing so would choke the port at high SPL so we'd either have to accept that compromise or put in a port that was about 30% larger in area which would make the cabs about 20% larger then they currently are. Maybe we should do what everyone else does, hide the port behind the grill, forget about the real world LOUD gig performance and make some more money on each cab we sell?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1380191499' post='2222019']
Thanks for the info. Looks a bit like an ah um.

I've got a midget, and I'm wondering now about what to match it with. I wonder now about matching first and second generation Midgets. A bit of a problem if that won't work.
[/quote]

Have you asked Alex? He seems quite happy to discuss your needs/preferences, particularly if you can indicate the bass, amp and any other cabs you're using. There's a link on the website.

I was really really cheesed off when I heard about this generation 3 stuff as my super 12T is only about 6 weeks old .but I like the sound I get a lot & that's all that matters .
Ref damage to speakers it doesn't matter how robust the cab is if you hit it hard enough you're more likely to knock the Magnet out of line ,that's from my experience with PA stuff anyway .

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1380192944' post='2222052']
When I get some time I'll add a page to our site explaining about mixing and matching Barefaced cabs of different types / generations.

It would be much much easier for us to put the grill over the port - it would mean we could spend a significant amount less time getting the finish right. However doing so would choke the port at high SPL so we'd either have to accept that compromise or put in a port that was about 30% larger in area which would make the cabs about 20% larger then they currently are. Maybe we should do what everyone else does, hide the port behind the grill, forget about the real world LOUD gig performance and make some more money on each cab we sell?
[/quote]

Forgive the pun, but this speaks volumes. The functioning of the cab would be compromised, so the aesthetics are altered, not the other way round. It's the sound that's paramount, not the looks. It's because of the order of these priorities that I bought a BF cab. The aesthetics are a more than reasonable compromise for the sound you get, but not everyone will agree.

Just trying to imagine the British Army buying tanks on the basis of aesthetics. :P "Those track things are frightfully ugly. Can't we just have wheels? And must that gun poke out that much?"

I said I knew the reason, completely appreciate where Alex is coming from but just have a different opinion. IMO, the type of speakers/amp/effects/tone my guitarist uses probably affects what I hear coming from my own cab more than a grill over a side port.

Using the same anology, just imagine the British Army buying tanks where a large portion of the engine was left unprotected just so the gun could be a little more powerful.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1380194622' post='2222083']
Using the same anology, just imagine the British Army buying tanks where a large portion of the engine was left unprotected just so the gun could be a little more powerful.
[/quote]

I think you're analogy is better suited if you talk about covering up the gun chamber - which then makes the tank ineffective....like a grille over a port..... :)

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1380194622' post='2222083']
I said I knew the reason, completely appreciate where Alex is coming from but just have a different opinion. IMO, the type of speakers/amp/effects/tone my guitarist uses probably affects what I hear coming from my own cab more than a grill over a side port.

[/quote]

I wasn't having a go largo, and not everyone has my priorities — a small minority of bass players I would think. The tank analogy was an idle thought really, and the counter analogy you present serves to illustrate that everyone has differing priorities. BF cabs represent just one point on the priority mix, but one that happens to suit me.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1380195337' post='2222098']
I think you're analogy is better suited if you talk about covering up the gun chamber - which then makes the tank ineffective....like a grille over a port..... :)
[/quote]

Yeah cabs just don't work when there's a grill over the port. For shame.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1380193595' post='2222065']It's the sound that's paramount, not the looks.[/quote]

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380199492' post='2222194']
How many of us here push cabs to the limit? And if you do, why?

I buy cabs for tone.

If I want more volume I'll add more cabs.
[/quote]

I often use an octave divider, and that really gets the port working overtime, and the band can play loud at times as well. :rolleyes: Being able to use the one cab saves weight and effort in transporting, coupled with the ability to handle whatever I throw at it, and it makes sense in my position.

Bugger, said the word handle. :unsure:

With the Barefaced cabs there is always a lot of emphasis on how loud they can go. In real world gigging situations what matters to me is the tone and being able to hear what I'm playing clearly. This doesn't always mean more volume is needed. How loud do you need to be really ? Play too loud and you piss off your band mates and end up in a volume war which destroys your band sound and also pisses off the PA engineer (if there is one) as he can't do anything other than take your bass out of the PA completely.
Both my bands are quite loud and I don't have to run my cab at anywhere near it's limits to be heard clearly and the ports are behind the grill , no problems with tone or low end at all.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380204116' post='2222272']
How loud do you need to be really ? [/quote]

All of it.

Play too loud and you piss off your band mates and end up in a volume war which destroys your band sound and also pisses off the PA engineer (if there is one) as he can't do anything other than take your bass out of the PA completely.[/quote]

Not an issue, its my band, and The idea of a bass rig with spl capabilities and good dispersion is that I don't rely on PA, because its a factor outside my control. Plus I've never encountered an engineer I didn't get on just fine with (although when we brought our own the house one might have been a bit annoyed).

Both my bands are quite loud and I don't have to run my cab at anywhere near it's limits to be heard clearly and the ports are behind the grill , no problems with tone or low end at all.
[/quote]

Carrying more cab about then you need to then. I generally leave my second super 15 at home for that reason.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380204116' post='2222272']With the Barefaced cabs there is always a lot of emphasis on how loud they can go. In real world gigging situations what matters to me is the tone and being able to hear what I'm playing clearly.[/quote]

Can I just state this really really clearly: [b]TONE COMES FIRST FOR US!!![/b]

But if a cab can't play loud enough, its tone falls apart well before it stops getting louder. Make cabs that sound great AND are great at playing loud and they'll sound great on loud gigs, quiet gigs, outdoor gigs, gigs where you have a much louder dep drummer, gigs where the PA turns out to have no subwoofers, etc etc etc etc.

I'll also add that if you make a cab which not only has very even frequency response, but also really good polar response (dispersion), really good transient response (immediacy of the notes starting and stopping), and really good dynamic response (showing through all your accenting and variations in loudness), then you won't need to be as loud to sit just right in the mix compared to using a cab which was less good at any one of these aspects.