Why become a member? ×

Making a '78 P-Bass a little more 'sonically versatile'

TheButler

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1379884380' post='2217926']
Contact strings direct ? They can surely point you at nickel free strings.
Your problem is not exactly rare according to a quick google search. This problem has a solution and a fairly cheap one
[/quote]

This is true, I know my mother is allergic to nickel. I remember looking ages ago, before just deciding to go with flatwounds, and I don't think the places I asked wanted to gaurentee they'd not knacker my hands. New strings is a must though, and will be a vital component toward a more versatile sound. I'm going to watch the John East P-Retro video when I have more time, and do some research on here. I will consider some outboard options - which will be handy for future bass purchases in any case - I imagine that a P-retro and Tone Hammer or VT would open up even more options. When I get to that stage though, I could just buy another bass and keep it in the car for a while.

Thanks to all for advice thus far. :)

Get a set of Elixir (or Nexus by rotosound) coated roundwound strings. All the twang but no allergic reaction.
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bc/48/543/elixir-bass-guitar-strings-sets/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bc/48/543/elixir-bass-guitar-strings-sets/[/url]

Edited by gjones

To consolidate by the way I am going to be looking at the P-Retro, but will likely be going for a Tone Hammer or such. There was a mention of the Sadowsky outboard pre, which I aim to search for too. I'm going to be getting new strings, waiting back to hear if there are any they can conclusively say aren't nickel and can offer enough tonal scope. Cheers folks :)

I have to say that ,to be totally honest with you , although adding a preamp might help you discover one or two previously- unearthed tones out of your Precision Bass , it will still end up sounding fairly similar overall . If you have got a nice Fender bass through a Mesa Boogie rig then you should be able to get a World-class sound with that combination , but it will always have the characteristic sound of a Precision Bass , whether you add an extra preamp or not . If you are saving for a Jazz Bass then I cannot help but think you would be far better served putting your money towards that than buying more outboard gear to try and make your P Bass sound like something other than itself. The combination of your Fender and Mesa Boogie gear is potentially a match made in heaven , so maybe you would be better off keeping hold of your money and experimenting with the onboard EQ of your amp.

No additional electronic gizmos will make anywhere near as much difference to your sound as changing to roundwound strings . I am a bit confused by your skin condition in so much as , so far as I know, most flatwounds are made out of nickel, so if you allergic to nickel then surely they would agitate your condition too, or is it the serrations on the roundwounds that give you problems ? Using flats on a Precision is very much in vogue at the moment, but the reason that combination went very much out of fashion for a long time in the first place is precisely because it gives a very dead sound that can lack harmonic richness and atriculation and won't cut through the mix easily . The edge that roundwounds give you can make a Precision bass really speak with a complex and authortative voice that suits most musical situations so well , especially through an amp like your Mesa. If you can find a set of roundwounds , nickel or steel or anything else for that matter( would coated sets help, I wonder?) , that don't give you an adverse reaction then it will be a much cheaper way to radically change the sound of your bass and much more likely to give you what you want in terms of transforming your sound.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1380020210' post='2219526']
I have to say that ,to be totally honest with you , although adding a preamp might help you discover one or two previously- unearthed tones out of your Precision Bass , it will still end up sounding fairly similar overall . If you have got a nice Fender bass through a Mesa Boogie rig then you should be able to get a World-class sound with that combination , but it will always have the characteristic sound of a Precision Bass , whether you add an extra preamp or not . If you are saving for a Jazz Bass then I cannot help but think you would be far better served putting your money towards that than buying more outboard gear to try and make your P Bass sound like something other than itself. The combination of your Fender and Mesa Boogie gear is potentially a match made in heaven , so maybe you would be better off keeping hold of your money and experimenting with the onboard EQ of your amp.

No additional electronic gizmos will make anywhere near as much difference to your sound as changing to roundwound strings . I am a bit confused by your skin condition in so much as , so far as I know, most flatwounds are made out of nickel, so if you allergic to nickel then surely they would agitate your condition too, or is it the serrations on the roundwounds that give you problems ? Using flats on a Precision is very much in vogue at the moment, but the reason that combination went very much out of fashion for a long time in the first place is precisely because it gives a very dead sound that can lack harmonic richness and atriculation and won't cut through the mix easily . The edge that roundwounds give you can make a Precision bass really speak with a complex and authortative voice that suits most musical situations so well , especially through an amp like your Mesa. If you can find a set of roundwounds , nickel or steel or anything else for that matter( would coated sets help, I wonder?) , that don't give you an adverse reaction then it will be a much cheaper way to radically change the sound of your bass and much more likely to give you what you want in terms of transforming your sound.
[/quote]

Yup to all this. First change your strings to roundwounds. I can assure you you will be amazed by the difference in sound. If you want more tonal possibilities buy a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GEB-7 [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Graphic[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] equaliser. I have one and it's great for tweaking. There is one for sale on basschat for £40 posted [/font][/color][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217144-boss-pedals-odb-3-overdrive-and-geb-7-graphic-eq/page__p__2218999__hl__boss%20graphic__fromsearch__1#entry2218999"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2218999[/url]

Edited by gjones

I'd check string material - AFAIK the TI JF344 strings I have on my precision are pure nickel wrap over a steel core, so it seems odd that you get on with nickel flats but not rounds.

Anyway, FWIW I'd just stick some stainless steel rounds on it if I wanted articulate/bright/clanky (although to me that's somewhat missing the point of a precision, but each to their own ;))

There are also loads of other jazz-ish options you could get used for less than the cost of a P retro and pack of strings, so personally I'd leave the old P alone and do that.

My oldest Precision is a black '78 with a maple fingerboard. Is yours unusually heavy? I agree with the earlier comment that it will always sound like a Precision (what's wrong with great?) . After you get some strings try playing at other places for different sounds: 1- By the bridge for a more piano-like sound, 2- Same thing with a pick, 3- Both of these with a touch of palm muting at the bridge saddles .I have recently begun to use my thumb for a fat bass content and some thumbnail "click".