Why become a member? ×

Tone hammer 500 or GB streamliner 600?!

davebass66

Hey all, so I just sold my shuttle 6 as I was after something a little warmer.... I am now torn between the TH500 or streamliner 600... I have yet to play either in the flesh, hoping to try out this week sometime..

Would really appreciate some knowledge from those who have used either or (even better) both!..,.

I am concerned that the GB might be too tubey - I've used class D for years now, never owned tube - but am tempted by the current price slash due to their closing down

Aguilar appears to be a warmer sounding class D.....

For the record I'm not interested in overdrive from either, though I know they can both provide this

Pros and cons for both would be great please!!!

Both are great. You miss quite a lot of the treble snap with the TH500 though, (treble is set at 4k) so if you like the 'winding on the strings' tone...eg lots of metallic and bright tones, the TH500 will totally smooth that out...

Best bet is to get a Tonehammer pedal and the Streamliner, then you have both :)

The Streamliner sounds stunning to me. The treble is like a passive tone control and you get very clear highs or more vintage rolled off treble.

Not tried the TH500 but I sold my Streamliner and went back to a LMII. There's also the fact that Genz Benz are no more: not sure I'd buy something from a company that doesn't exist even if Fender will no doubt honour warranty claims.

I've had both and still have the TH500, it has just a little bit more attack for me and found the mids to be a lot more use-able.
I swapped my Streamline and went back to a Shuttle and use that when I'm after a very clean tone.

I think both are good, the TH is more versatile imo.

edit, smelling

Edited by Highfox

I'm firmly in the Tone Hammer camp as well. To my ears the Streamliner sounds a bit 'flabby' and lacking in punch compared to the TH.

Another possible might be the MarkBass Big Bang. I really like this amp but you don't see many of them out there. Has a lot if the MB sound but adds something a bit extra tonally and some genuinely useful features too :)

Quick run down from owning/hearing the amps:

Shuttlemax - Clear, bright, clean, punchy. Very modern, FET channel is pretty flat. TUBE channel can add warmth and some grit.

Streamliner - Effortless volume, it will stay clean all the way unless you want it to have some hair on the notes, very much like plugging into a high end studio tube preamp. Very crisp, but warm and 'syrupy'. As with a lot of amps, it has a mid scoop with all controls at 12 (like GK's, etc). Boost the mids to 1/2, bass back to 10, and its pretty much flat. You can boost and cut the mid and treble all the way and it STILL sounds good. The treble is crisp and will allow it to be bright and snappy, but roll it back and its much more vintage.

TH500/TH Pedal - Very much the Aguilar sound. Punchy in the mids. Warm and full. The treble can be an issue for some as it is at 4K. Lot's of volume available, grit available if you want it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379886043' post='2217957']
Both are great. You miss quite a lot of the treble snap with the TH500 though, (treble is set at 4k) so if you like the 'winding on the strings' tone...eg lots of metallic and bright tones, the TH500 will totally smooth that out...

Best bet is to get a Tonehammer pedal and the Streamliner, then you have both :)

The Streamliner sounds stunning to me. The treble is like a passive tone control and you get very clear highs or more vintage rolled off treble.
[/quote]

There`s a lot of sense in this.

Thanks for all the advice, thoroughly appreciated, can def see the sense in getting the STM and then a tone hammer pedal!...very much looking forward to trying them out...I'm not a big fan of the super zingy sound so I don't think the TH eq would be an issue for me.

Anyone know if u can rack the TH?

[b]I use a streamliner 900, i like nice clean warm bottom and hifi top end. I have a TH di box....this is my backup in case i loose a valve on the streamliner. TH preamp is a bit lacking on the hifi top end for me, but it is a solid quality box. I have to watch i don't overload the input on the streamliner with my Overwater J...Nordy big splits and J retro preamp....input pre at 10 o'clock with this bass.[/b]

I'm a big fan of the TH 500. Its tone is almost ideal for me; warm, punchy and with present (but not unpleasant) high end. If you've tried one and found it lacking some trebley-snap, I'd recommend checking the cab you're using to see if you can increase the level of the tweeter/horn.

I find using a TH500 and a pair of DB112s I can find warm, wooly tones or growly, aggressive clank from playing with the EQ and with the crossovers on the back of the cabs.