Why become a member? ×

An Observation on Pick Playing

Lowender

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1379617452' post='2214977']
One habit I can't break though is having the pick hanging out of my mouth when I play with my fingers...
[/quote]

I used to do this back in the day - but I play with a pick exclusively now - I was always afeared of inhaling the bloody thing. :)

I've never managed to play any instrument using a pick, it's just something that doesn't feel right to me and my timing goes out of the window... usually followed by the aforementioned pick... :)

I'm not keen on the 'accelerated attack' that a pick gives, but I certainly don't see myself as the ultimate arbiter of good taste.

Live and let live I say. :D

Pick is awesome, I almost always play finger, but for almost anything other than dub or reggae I use a pick when recording - better attack, better muting, great rich tone depending on the type of pick. I started doing some thumbstyle too, even better for dub tones.

But yeah, I hate the finger fascists - pick, thumb, fingers, chopsticks, whatever gets what's in your head onto tape or out the PA, that's what you've got to do.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1379634212' post='2215225']
depending on the type of pick.[/quote]

That begs a real pedant question , does a builders fingerstyle sound different to an accountants fingerstyle , does the hardness of the fingertips affect the tone B) or is it :blush:

me, I use whatever , the same song might get a different technique depending on the night , the crowd or the mood I'm in :P

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1379636554' post='2215229']
As my hands/fingers are knackered after years of Karate abuse - I use a pick when the song is too fast (for me) to play fingerstyle or when I can't feel my fingers anymore.

I'm happy with that :)
[/quote]

+1. Only with me it was RA instead of Karate. I always used a pick in the past but now it's a mixture of fingers and pick depending the speed of the number.

I think the historical reason why playing with a pick was looked down on some players is primarily because of how the bass guitar was conceived and marketed from its' inception . Leo Fender's vision was to invent an instrument that enabled guitarists to take the place of the double bass in contemporary popular music of the day . That must have put the noses out of double bass players at the time , and I know that many jazz bassists in particular were dismissive and scathing of the electric for a long time after the electric was introduced . A lot are still of that opinion in the present day . Playing bass guitar with a pick represented a complete break with that tradition and to some observers it betokened a complete absence of knowledge about the true role of the bass and how to play it . Add to that the undeniable truth that in the early years of the bass guitar all too often the least able guitarist was relegated to playing the bass , usually with a pick , then you can see how some folks came to associate pick playing with limited ability . It's significant that for a long time received wisdom has been that the first true virtuoso of the bass guitar was James Jamerson , who was a double bass player who played the Fender Bass with his fingers with the skills and instincts of a jazz bassist , which is essentially what he was . By contrast , Joe Osborn who was Jamerson's contemporary on the West Coast played with a pick in guitaristic fashion to great effect has only been widely acknowledged in recent years since players like Anthony Jackson have cited him as an influence . By the late 1960's players like Paul McCartney , John Entwistle , Noel Redding and Jack Cassidy were all playing brilliantly with a pick , but the stigma was already in place .

I have always been a fingerstyle player , not least of all because my first bass teacher was primarily a jazz bassist who was completely dismissive of pick playing , full stop . I had it drummed into me for years that pick playing was for the less capable , so much so that even today I feel like the fact that I enjoy lots of pick players is an act of rebellion .Most of the players I wanted to emulate when I first started playing - Geddy Lee , Geezer Butler , Bernard Edwards, Stanley Clarke , Andy Frazer ect- were all fingerstyle players , and so I was more than happy to go along with the no plectrums rule . Since those days I have really changed my thinking and love the sound of a pick , but , like Ian , I just can't get to grips with using one , and never get round to practising it . The pick always feels so awkward and alien that it soon gets put away again . The fact that I've never been a guitarist also adds to my lack of familiarity with the plectrum . Over the years I have come to realise that some bass parts just can't be recreated properly without a pick . Sting's playing with The Police springs to mind as an example of where the kind of muting and ghost notes you can get with a pick are impossible to cop with your fingers . Regarding cutting through the mix , though , I get plenty of cut with my right hand fingerstyle attack , probably because I have always liked agressive players and know how to dig in just the right way to make the notes most audible . Look at Jack Bruce and his fingerstyle playing - you can't imagine him getting buried in the mix !

^ WHS

I played exclusively with a pick for about twenty years, really thin one too (compared to most Pick players) I only started using my fingers when I started playing DB and now I mix and match - and for years people told me it wasn't "proper" bass playing, not so much now. Personally i think doing a 16 beat 4/4 walking bass line just sounds the mutts nuts - so much drive, but slower songs just suit the subtlety that you can apply with finger style. I still default to pick whenever things get tricky or insecurity kicks in during a gig.

I actually started playing bass finger-style
Which at the time, was dismissed by my punk & heavy rock playing pals

I started playing with a pick, but tried to keep playing with fingers - just to keep the ability to do so
It actually gave me some confidence in my playing
Because if I ever dropped my pick, mid-song, I knew I could continue playing
albeit with a different sound & feel....

A couple of years back, I was in a Ramones tribute
I know a lot of people think that's just simple 3 barre chord stuff,
but the Ramones played downstroke only

After about 10 or 12 songs, this can hurt - especially more mature fingers, shall we say ;)
It's not simple at all, the left hand may not have much to do
but try playing an hour this style, at very fast pace, with only a few 2 second breaks between songs :o
It's something of a physical workout

It really gives the songs a sort of "cutting edge" style,
It's almost mechanical, and a bit like an express train, thundering along the tracks
- especially when you hear it live
It grates on me a little to hear people playing Ramones songs when they aren't playing them this way

I can't imagine how you could get this sound & style if you didn't use a pick

+ 1 to everyone who recognises that all styles of playing are valid :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1379635661' post='2215226']
does a builders fingerstyle sound different to an accountants fingerstyle , does the hardness of the fingertips affect the tone[/quote]

Definitely! I notice this in my own tone. If I don't play much for a while, my finger tips get soft and my tone, as a result, also softens.

When I play regularly they are much harder and give a more 'pick-like' attack to the notes.

I'm not sure which I prefer, but I get far fewer blisters when my finger tips are hard!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379669449' post='2215418']
Sorry about that. I reckon Dingus is worse, though. ;)
[/quote]

Oh bollocks! Sorry about that! :blush: I was obviously thinking about you while writing about him... er :huh:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1379668971' post='2215407']
@Dingus

I love your posts mate, but any chance you could use a few more paragraphs? They are rather daunting to read! :)
[/quote]

And they wonder why standards in schools are slipping ? :lol:

I will try harder in future to condense my posts into short soundbites for the alcopops generation .

( Edited for conciseness . If this post is still too long for you I could always cut some more out ) .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379683397' post='2215688']
And they wonder why standards in schools are slipping ? :lol:

I will try harder in future to condense my posts into short soundbites for the alcopops generation .

( Edited for conciseness . If this post is still too long for you I could always cut some more out ) .
[/quote] :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379683397' post='2215688']
[/quote]

Yeah, I remember Two Dogs.... Hooper's Hooch... Is that what you meant? :huh:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1379685695' post='2215725']
Yeah, I remember Two Dogs.... Hooper's Hooch... Is that what you meant? :huh:
[/quote]

I am only joking . I just mean to say that , to me at least, my paragraphs are only , well, .. .paragraphs ! It may well be that written English has moved on without my knowledge and that sentences are now the way to go . I'll give it a try . :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1379700704' post='2215969']
Me too! ;)
[/quote]

More people criticise my written English on Basschat than any other member . I'm starting to get paranoid about it . Everyone else seems to get away with communicating in textspeak and I get pulled up for every slight grammatical error and spelling mistake. I think that Discreet geezer secretly dreams about being a strict English teacher and he has chosen me to live out his fantasies on . :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379702175' post='2215990']
More people criticise my written English on Basschat than any other member . I'm starting to get paranoid about it . Everyone else seems to get away with communicating in textspeak and I get pulled up for every slight grammatical error and spelling mistake. I think that Discreet geezer secretly dreams about being a strict English teacher and he has chosen me to live out his fantasies on . :D
[/quote]

tl;dr.